Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone -

My puppy Riley is almost 4 months old, she is about 25 lbs right now. Shes been growing pretty tall & long quite fast it seems to me, but she's pretty darn skinny. I am currently feeding her twice a day (about 6:30 am and then about 6pm), both times she gets a little more than 1.5 cups of food. She is eating the Blue Buffalo Large breed puppy - Chicken & brown rice food.

She goes to puppy day care everyday while I am at work, she gets dropped off around 8:30 and picked up around 5:30. She absolutely loves it there and is always excited to go in but is also always super excited to go home too as she's exhausted and had enough playing for the day.

Anyway the other day I picked her up from daycare and one of the woman working there told me Riley had thrown up bio that day. She suggested that I consider feeding her lunch at daycare because bio usually happens when they are hungry and their stomachs are empty. I have actually debated on starting to feed her 3 times a day in hopes of fattening her up a little bit but wasn't sure if I wanted to do that or not because once she is old enough to be left alone I didn't want her to expect to be getting fed lunch.

I am sure as she gets older and isn't actively playing all day at daycare and is switched over to adult food I could probably get her back on the 2 times a day plan but I just wanted to get everyones opinion on how often they feed their pup.

Thanks!
-Amy

·
Registered
801 Posts
I fed mine 3Xday until she was 6 months old and then switched to feeding twice a day-breakfast and dinner with a biscuit for a late night snack.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Once, or else they get lazy about eating and don't finish all their food. I like good eaters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh she has no problem finishing her food at all! She eats fairly slow, I hear her actually chew her food which is nice. It generally takes her about 7 minutes to finish her food. My parents' golden just sucks hers down really fast, gone in like a minute!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly gets breakfast and then dinner, she also gets a treat at lunch time, i would fed your pup 3 times a day, only because she is still young, and when she is about 6 months i would go back to feeding her twice a day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feed Novie 3x a day because she get's 4 1/2c a day and I don't want to risk her getting bloat and well..2 1/4c is alot for one feeding IMO! Buddy I feed 2x a day cuz he's smaller and 3.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I always feed 3 X a day till 6 months then I drop to 2. however if she is going to daycare everyday I would absolutly reccomend lunch, reguardless of age however, they do work up an appeitite. I work in a daycare and more then half the dogs only eat twice a day at home, but get lunch when they come to daycare because they work up such an appeitite and/or they loose a bunch of weight from the extra exersize.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Riley definitely gets treats throughout the day both from me (the girl is highly motivated by food) and at daycare. But I think that lunch at daycare probably is a good idea for awhile! Not only because of all the exercise and calories she is burning but then I can decrease the amount she gets fed at a time and won't have to worry about bloating her belly making sure she gets her required amount of food in.

Thanks so much everyone for your input!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts