Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right forum to post in!

So you know how on the bags of dog food (& online) theres a recommendation to feed your dog 3x a day if its a puppy and then transition to 2x a day once it becomes an adult? Is there a specific reason for that or is it simply a convenience thing?

My dog is 1 year & 5 months so I just recently switched her to feeding twice a day the past week. But I don't know if I like that. I noticed that shes struggling through her meals cause they're such hefty portions now that they're divided between 2 meals instead of 3 and its dry food so I can imagine its hard to swallow and chew through all of that. Additionally, its recommended to feed your dog less portion than when it was a puppy so I've been feeding her about 1/2 cup less than what she normally eats (3 cups per day) but noticed a dramatic weight loss cause of it. She was initially meaty (but still had a figure) but now all that extra meatiness is gone which concerns me.

I'm going to go back to feeding her 3 cups a day, I heard her tummy growling in the middle of the night , I felt so bad! But does it matter to feed your dog 2 or 3 times a day even if its the same portions??? Whats the reasoning behind how many times a day to feed them?

Am i thinking too much into this? LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's all about what's convenient for you and your dog. I feed my 10 year old dog 3 times a day and that's the way I've been doing it for years. I feed her 3 times a day for multiple reasons. She is a small breed and it's better for the little ones to eat more often. Eating smaller meals more often also boosts metabolism, which my dog needs. She's on a pretty low amount of calories because she's an easy keeper and the smaller more frequent meals keep her much more satisfied throughout the day.

If 3 meals works better for your dog and you are home to feed her, then go for it!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think it's just more important that a puppy get 3 meals a day because they are puppies and developing and need the nutrients, etc. As for adults you can feed however you want. Most people just find twice a day more convenient.

I feed once at 6 a.m. and once at 4 p.m. While it's not ideal, it's what works for me and my schedule.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The 3 times a day recommendation is meant to lessen the portion the puppy is eating during each meal while their caloric needs are high but their stomachs are still small and developing. 2 cups of food in an 8 week old puppy's stomach is a lot different than 2 cups in an adult dog's stomach.

If your dog seemed happier with three smaller meals, stick with that if it's convenient for you.

About portions - judge by body condition. You should ideally be able to see/feel the last 1-2 ribs on an adolescent dog. Spine and hips shouldn't be visible or easily felt. There are obvious exceptions to these rules - you're probably never going to see the last 1-2 ribs on an English Mastiff, and the spine/hips are visible on many sighthounds even when their weight is appropriate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You have to feed your dog the amount that is right for him/her. I would not go off the bag/internet but off your dog instead. For example:

My dog is 50lbs (roughly) and it's recommended I feed her 3 cups to 3 1/2 cups a day however she would never eat that much on a daily basis so I feed her 1/2 cup dry with 1/3 cup of canned twice a day. If she wants more she will stand by her bowl and look at me which is her way of telling me she wants more. She will occasionally do this but only once in a while.

Feeding a puppy 3x a day seems about right depending on how you portion it. Say your puppy is supposed to eat 2 cups a day. You can do 1 cup a.m 1/2 noon and 1/2 p.m or 1 cup a.m 1 cup p.m or just 2 cups and "free feed" you don't HAVE to do it 3x a day as long as you are feeding the recommended portion.

Why don't you like feeding your dog 2x a day? Dog's unlike people can go longer without eating between meals because they stay fuller longer. I feed Marley around 10am (after our morning walk) and I feed her again at 10:45pm when I get home from work. On my days off it's a bit different. I feed her at 9am (after our morning walk) and at 6pm and that routine works just fine for her. You have to find what works for you and your dog but regardless on what you decide to feed and when make sure it is around the same time everyday as their meal times are part of their day to day routine and routine is very important in dogs!

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I've heard everything across the board and my dog's breeder, also a vet, told me it was find to feed 2x a day even though he was only 8.5 weeks old. I also immediately started him on adult all life stages food. Granted, my dog is a medium/large breed. I am sure the rules may change for tiny or giant dogs. And her advice was irrelevant to me anyways, since I don't feed meals at all and I use his rations for training throughout the day instead.

But barring medical needs, dogs are scavengers and don't have a biological need to be on a certain feeding schedule to thrive.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was told to go straight to 2 mealtimes per day at 8-weeks by my breeder, too. The litter had been on more feedings but had been reduced down to two because it seemed to sit better with their stomachs overall. We're sticking with two meals a day because mealtimes are happy times, and this way we get two happy mealtimes per day. :p We started out with 6 am / 6 pm because I needed to be at work at 7 on the weekdays, and once my schedule shifted we slowly moved towards 7 am / 7 pm instead. Prinna lets me know when it's close to mealtimes, she'll even be my alarm clock in the morning! :laugh:

·
Registered
550 Posts
I switched mine from 3 to 2 a couple weeks after we got her, so about 14 weeks.

Heck my older dog was on once a day for years (moved him back to 2 because he needs to gain weight now that he's moving more with the puppy, and his bowl was too small for the new amount). Hours are typically between 6.30am and 7.30am and between 5 pm and 7pm... completely flexible.

OP, in your case I would look into another kind of food that has more calories, so you need to feed less, and avoid foods with grains and other types of fillers. My two dogs only need 2 cups a day of what we're feeding (Wellness Core).

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dog has always had dry food in his crate and available. For years he was in the crate most of the day being taken out 1-2 times per day by a dog walker while I was at work. The past few months he's been out of the crate full time but he mostly just sleeps all day on my bed (he's 12 years old) Anyway, I've always had dry in his crate and I supplement it with 1/4 or 1/3 of a can of wet each night when I sit down to eat my food. Sometimes he eats it all, sometimes it sits for a day before he eats it, sometimes he only eats part of it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.