Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hamilton currently has his ID tag with his name and our address and phone number, and his rabies tag, which I only put on him because we were travelling and in case anyone asked we'd have that info on the dog. He is also microchipped, and we have a tag from the microchip company but its huge and I feel like it's unnecessary, because if he still has his collar on then he has his ID on, and if he doesn't, then that's what the microchip is for! I need to go get him licensed now that he's about to turn 6 m/o, and that means... another tag!! He's a small dog! How many of these things should he really be wearing? I'd think if his license is up to date, then his rabies would have to be, so those are redundant.

How many tags do your dog friends wear? Which ones? Any rationale for choosing certain tags over other tags if you're like me and building a collection?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Some places require the dog to wear a rabies tag whenever off his owner's property. So if you're traveling it's a good idea, and look at your local ordinances to see if he needs to wear it in town, too. They may have similar requirements for the license. Some places will accept the license as proof of rabies vaccination (since you have to show the rabies cert to get the license) so they don't have to wear both tags. I don't keep the microchip tag on my dogs. I might if we were traveling--it gives a regular person without a scanner a way to call the chip company and identify the dog. And my dogs' ID tags are CollarTags so at least they aren't jingling around with the other tags.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Gally only wears his city license right now because it is the only one required by law here. It must be on his collar anytime he leaves the house. It has a city license number and phone number on it. He's also microchipped. He had a name tag but I couldn't stand the jingle noise. He has a rabies tag but he doesn't wear it as it's on his city record anyway.

ETA: I want to get him a boomerang tag that fastens directly to the collar for his name and our phone number.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I keep Sydney's collar on anytime we are outside of the house. It has her rabies tag (with the vet's number on it), her license (which has a number on it that can be searched on the same website where you order the license to get all my contact info) and a little cheap tag with my phone number and my boyfriend's. In our area you don't have to give proof of rabies vaccination to get a license, so I think it's important to have both on hand. She isn't microchipped (I've been meaning to forever) but if she was I probably wouldn't bother with that tag either. Like you said, that's what the microchip is for.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel has a boomerang tag on his collar, the kind that slips on and lies flat, with my contact info and his name. His county license hangs from the D ring on his collar. I took off the rabies tag as it's redundant with the county license.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Our dogs have a current rabies tag, an ID tag with our cell numbers as well as county tags for the county my parents live in. I suppose the county tag for the county my parents live in isn't totally essential, but since we visit often and my parents watch the dogs for us while we are in town, I feel safer with them wearing the tags (that way, if they're lost and picked up by animal control and can't get ahold of us on our cell phones, they have a local phone number and address on file).

·
Banned
158 Posts
Depending on what your local laws are, you may be able to just have a license, rather than a rabies as well. As others have said, it is often a requirement of a license, so one makes the other redundant.

I recommend having something mentioning the chip, because it can be helpful, but you don't need to use the tag provided! At the moment, Dita is wearing a cheap, temporary tag that just has our contact info, because we don't have her license number or chip yet, (we will do both when she is spayed, as our area doesn't require a license until the dog is 6months), but once that it done, we are having a tag engraved for her. It will be a larger tag, with her name and contact info on the front, and license number and the words "Chipped - Scan me!" on the back. Its a good way to have the necessary info without necessarily wearing lots of tags!

That said, there is really no issue with a collar absolutely packed with tags - its not going to bother the dog!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I wear the rabies tag and a personal tag on the dogs when they are outside. Eddee is the only one so far that has just been micro-chipped ... due to the fact that he landed himself in the shelter twice in a months time! I also just signed up with a one year membership with "Pet Protector" ... I purchased it on the www.AnimalRescueSite.com That tag will be coming in the mail. It is good anywhere in the US. It was only $3.95 You should check it out .......

I keep their county dog license tags on my key ring ... too many jingles!

·
Registered
500 Posts
My dogs have their ID tag, license tag, and microchip tag. I use the microchip tag on the Shiba's harness and his ID tag on his collar with the license. The other two have all three on one collar.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Luke has 3 tags on his collar; ID tag with his name and my phone number, rabies tag and county license. Zoey has 3 tags; ID tag with our address and phone #, microchip tag, and license. I could probably take off Luke's rabies tag because I don't even have a rabies tag for Zoey, just a license. And I could probably get rid of Zoey's microchip tag, Luke does not have a microchip (yet). My dogs only wear their collars outside of the house so the tags don't really bother me.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
No collars on my dogs unless they are on a leash. So no tags....

I keep their county licenses on my keychain.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
On their collars they only have a boomerang collar tag with their name and my name/address/phone number. I keep their rabies tags and licenses on my keychain. They only wear a collar when we leave our property and I'm with them, so I don't see a point in listening to jangly tags when I'm right there to produce the tags if needed.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Biscuit has her city license, her city dog park license, and her ID tag. I put the microchip info and 800 number on the back of the ID tag on the theory that people might not want to schlep to the vet for a scan, but I agree that it's redundant. I took off the rabies tag due to excessive jingling - it's redundant with the city tags and not legally required here (I checked).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have never herd of a rabies, and have never had one for any of my dogs. We just get a rabies certificate, and we have to have that to renew our dog licence.

Hitch has his licence, his name tag with our contact info, and the tag for the dog rescue he came from (the rescue said to leave it on him, to have another point of contact).

He is microchipped, but I don't put the tag on his collar.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My dogs wear lightweight nylon collars with my phone number stitched into it. No tags that could get caught on anything.

If we are travelling, they wear leather collars with a single tag that has my address, name, and 3 phone numbers on it. Flip side of the collar indicates that my dogs are microchipped and that there is a reward if they are found. I carry copies of my rabies certificates in my van. The originals are in my home. I live in the country, so no licenses needed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Australia does not have rabies so no tag there. Only tag necessary is the local town licence tag and that usually comes in the form of a plastic strip that you fold around the collar and clip locked, so no dangling. We use the boomerang name tags but I think I need to add the microchip info to them as well.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
my puppies each have a nametag, a microchip tag(the size of a dime), a rabies tag and a city licence tag.

Rusty only has a city licence tag on, though I should really get him a name tag, he is the only one I actually have to worry about running off anywhere lol

Happy and Misty- have a name tag, city licence and a logo tag from my work

Baby- same thing, plus a rabies tag

I always put all the tags I receive for my dogs on the dog, I am really weird about it lol, if I am given a tag, I cant even wait 5 minutes to put in on my dogs collar, I'd go crazy! but I have no issue with noisy tags either, I like the jingle actually :p

and here if you dont like dangly tags..too bad, the city licence MUST be worn BY THE DOG at all time that the dog is off your property.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got Ham's license this morning. The city clerk said that he didn't have to wear it, it was just another form of ID.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Like many, Buffy wears her rabies tag, county license and an ID tag whenever we are out. She doesn't wear a collar at home.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster has his rabies tag (one side has his name & my phone #, the other side has his vets contact info. & rabies ID #) and his microchip tag on the collar he wears when we go out (walks, shopping, vets office, traveling...). He doesnt always have a collar on in the house and keeping the tags on one collar means I dont lose them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts