Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are serious trainers?

By that I mean, you compete in dog sports, have put titles on dogs, or run a training business with several years under your belt?

Just seeing how many we have on here... (for fun)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Obedience and Rally...dabbled in Agility. Will finish a UD in a couple of months. Former instructor, CPDT (retired), CGC evaluator.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Have competed and pointed dogs in conformation and lure coursing, have trained dogs to advanced obedience, competed in obedience pretty often in the UK (lived there for two years) so got to enjoy training with both US and UK trainers. Do not have obedience titled dogs- the dedication is there and my dogs were always trained, but I've not had the money to compete until more recently- and now I haven't got any young, suitable dogs. Plus I have a baby and a DH with ZERO interest in dog activities.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I train and title my own dogs, and also, on occasion, will train dogs for other people as well.

Agility-completed the excellent level
Obedience- trained up to Open and then some Utility
Tracking- 300 yards
Herding- basic level
Conformation- you know the drill (stand get a treat let the judge pet you and gait)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
are serious trainers?

By that I mean, you compete in dog sports, have put titles on dogs, or run a training business with several years under your belt?

Just seeing how many we have on here... (for fun)
I guess I'm an amateur ;) All Sadie has is her CGC. We're working on agility. I've been teaching for a few months. I love it and cannot wait to have my first student do a CGC. I wish I had more time to devote to the agility training with Sadie.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Working on it...

We expect to be at the level of agility competition later this summer. So excited!

If all goes according to plan, Libby will have her FDJ in pointing field trials this weekend (fingers crossed!!!)

We also hope to do a CGC test at the end of the month.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
In terms of official competition we are entry-level. About what I would expect considering Kim is my first dog at two years old, and Webster's younger.

Misc: Both dogs have CGCs. Webster is working toward his TDI.
Rally: Both dogs have their APDT Level 3 (plus Awards of Merit on Levels 1, 2, and 3 on both) and are one QQ away from their ARCH
Obedience: Actively working on novice, open, and some basic utility elements. Goal is to have U-CD soon...waiting for a semi-local trial to come up (UKC obe. isn't all that common here).
Agility: Introduction level. Will likely compete in CPE and possibly NADAC as some point, but just taking it one thing at a time...no hurry.

Not sure what other sports we can do, being the Muttly Crew. This plenty to keep up busy right now anyway.

Not much to brag about but there you have it, lol. We may be newbies, but we have a lot of fun :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've titled one dog in obedience, just a CD but my Keeshond was trained up through the CDX level but never competed due to being so scared when socializing at shows that she'd basically shut down (funny thing is the same dog absolutely loved being at horse shows). All my dogs, even those that did not compete were trained to at least the CD level of competency. And my last Collie was learning agility but more for fun and relaxation than any idea of competing.

This next pup I'm planning to compete with in conformation, obedience and rally. Rally will be new for me as will competing in the UKC. I'll also be puting a CGC on the dog and hopefully getting it certified as a therpy dog.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
yes to all for me too. Though as of late I am a bit lazy. Not to mention broke so I can't be spending a bunch of money on entries. Hopefully some day soon. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I train and compete in Schutzhund. I've titled 3 dogs, two of them to SchH3. I've competed at the Regional and National level with my GSD, then most recently with my Malinois, and we were Vice Champion at Regionals this year.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Conformation, agility, field (retriever stuff but not field trials). Have also trained but not competed in obedience and tracking (and Rally--have several that would breeze through RN if I would just enter them!).

I'm on injured reserve right now--had a ligament in my ankle replaced and my Achilles tendon repaired on the 29th of April. Crutches for another 5 weeks and then in an aircast for another 6-10 weeks. Seriously will put a damper on any competition and training for this summer...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just starting out, working on Agility and RAlly O. My trainer teaches for CKC obedience which is nice even though my dog is a muttnik she can do Rally O.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I am very interested in titling my rottweiler in obedience; we start novice classes on Wednesday night, and will go from there. I'm also attempting to become a member of my local dog training club so that I can apprentice some of the instructors. I'd also like to do some work in tracking and maybe rally? We'll see how it works out with time & money. For now, my main interest is obedience. I love an obedient dog.

For right now, I am a CGC evaluator, and looking into specializing in behavior. Again, we'll see...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for participating! Wvasko, no, you don't have to list titles. :)

I compete in conformation, obedience and rally. I also dabble in freestyle and agility and therapy. Did 4H for years.

I'm getting my CGC evaluator cert later on this year.

I just thought it would be fun to see how many people on here actually were out doing stuff with their dogs. Seems like we a good few around here.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I thought many of you who participated in this thread would appreciate this...

And to the rest reading this thread who wonder why we compete, at whatever level, perhaps this will explain in words far more eloquent than my own:

WHY TITLE A DOG?

Not just a brag, not just a stepping stone to a higher title, not just an adjunct to competitive scores, a title is a tribute to the dog that bears it, a way to honor the dog, an ultimate memorial. It will remain in record and in memory for as long as anything in this world can remain. Few humans will do as well or better in that regard.

And though the dog itself doesn't know or care that its achievements have been noted, a title says many things in the world of humans, where such things count.

A title says your dog was intelligent and adaptable, and good-natured. It says that your dog loved you enough to do the things that please you, however crazy they may have sometimes seemed.

And a title says that you loved your dog, that you loved to spend time with it because it was a good dog, that you believed in it enough to give it yet another chance when it failed, and that, in the end, your faith was justified.

A title proves that your dog inspired you to that special relationship enjoyed by so few; that in a world of disposable creatures, this dog with a title was greatly loved, and loved greatly in return.

And when that dear short life is over, the title remains as a memorial of the finest kind, the best you can give to a deserving friend, volumes of pride in one small set of initials after the name.

A title earned is nothing less than love and respect, given and received, and permanently recorded.

-Sandra Mowery

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I have always loved that.

I just suddenly lost my first CH/performance titled dog. He was the dog that I set out to get a CD with as a kid, and yes, we did get that CD, along with other titles. They mean so much to me now. I have two youngsters who are following in his path.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Shaina, that was really nice. Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We haven't done any trialing yet but I hope to with Lloyd, if I can find some mixed breed competitions around here. Just gotta work out a few kinks. If we get Nash I will be competing with him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts