Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that show, breed, compete etc, I'd say most of us are in one breed.
Like I am in Belgian world and some people are in Aussie world and some are in GSDs.

What I want to know is, was it always this breed for you or no?
When did you switch and why? And if you were close in the aussie breed community (example ) how did they take it when you got something different?

I ask because I am still a puppy myself at 21, and while Belgians are awesome dogs and I will probably always own one or two( I have a show dog on the way so that makes two) , I want to explore other breeds as well. Well one other breed pretty much. Which might lead on to another who knows.

I am currently learning about herding and agility so I guess I want to find the breed that I can work best with. I know I have a long time to figure it out, but I just wanted some other people's thoughts on it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Well mine isn't really a switch, more like an addition. I started in weimaraners, and we have added bulldogs to the mix.

We basically added bulldogs because they are more my mom's speed, and she wanted to show too. I wasn't really in the weim community so to speak anyways, although some wondered why bulldogs, but still. Now that people are finally realizing how good I am, I am starting to break into the community. It's complicated. The bulldog people were more welcoming, I mean I learned everything I know from our co-breeder in bulldogs so that says a lot.

Personally I wouldn't worry about what people think, I would just do what feels right to you.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I've gotten older, my life has changed and breeds that fit my life have changed with that.

I used to be a hound person, with a side of Pyr. Then I got married, got older, got busier, had kids and - At this point, I want a dog who is small (not tiny), relatively quiet, and not quite so independent and energetic. I suspect when I get still older, my preferences will change more. I see me eventually becoming a toy poodle person.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i do not show, breed or anything like that, but i have switched breeds!

i used to have shelties and to me... if it wasnt a sheltie it was just a dog.

now i have 5 mixed up who-knows-what mutts and i dont think i will ever be owned by another purebred again.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I started with Aussies and only actually tried one other breed that I owned. And found out that I really wanted to stay with Aussies.

·
Banned
96 Posts
I think I'll always be a mutt person.... I have owned/fostered/rescued mutts and purebreds but the mutts have always been THE BEST. I had a Border collie/havanese that was AMAZING. A black lab/Newfoundland when I was growing up AMAZING. I now own a Boston terrier/APBT that is AMAZING! Lol
That being said another of my best dog's (one of my heart dogs) was a Jack Russel terrier. She was an amazing girl.
I am also looking into a Whippet or a Boston terrier for my next dog (if a fabulous mutt doesn't pop up in the meantime)!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use to show,breed and own Doberman Pinchers for 15 years.When my last doberman was put down due to wobblers syndrome I never got another one.Situations just didnt allow it,I rescued 2 of our dogs and 1 was given to us for my son and the last one we bought for property protection purposes.We chose this breed(the Amstaff instead of Dobie) because my hubby has owned the breed for 40 years and partial to them so we went with the the Amstaff instead of the Doberman for that reason.I dont show or breed anymore,All of our dogs have a job on the farm and just our pets.Currently I own 4 different breeds of dogs.I would like to own a Dobie again someday but it has been nice to experience different breeds of dogs,from a pet standpoint.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I started with shelties, they were my first introduction into purebred dogs. My dog's breeder did agility and showed and we kept in touch and I loved going over to her house of 11 shelties. We had three shelties in a row.

Then my mom wanted a toy dog so we settled on a papillon. We got Beau and showed him (at that point I desperately wanted a show dog). Then got another and another and another. They're really just great dogs with a lot of personality and so much fun to work with. The last 7 dogs have been papillons. When I moved on my own I could only have a dog that was 25 lbs or under and i knew I only wanted a papillon.

Now that I'm an 'adult' and not in an apartment I am still searching for the breed for me. I know I will have more papillons. I might have more shelties, I am not sure. I feel like I have moved on from that breed somewhat to be honest and whenever I think about getting a sheltie again it just... doesn't feel right. What I like in shelties, I can find in papillons in a small dog. I like papillons better than shelties after living with both. And when I compare shelties to some bigger herders, I like the larger herders better. I'm still playing with several breed ideas at the moment, I haven't decided. As of now, I would love to try several different breeds in the future. I'm not sure I see myself with just one breed anymore. There are things I love about each breed I'm considering and things I don't like as much.

I'm not sure if I will always have papillons either. For sure I love them and will have more but their size makes things difficult for other breeds I'd like to try. Then again, I have a really hard time seeing me taking a break from them. I have a while to think on that though since Mia's only three and she's going to live forever. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
We started on Greyhounds, ex-racers, more specifically. We moved into Borzoi, and began showing. We are now adding a Deerhound.

The Greyhound people have been very supportive. We never showed them, but would like to, at some point. Borzoi people are insane, and there are only a few I associate with. The first breeder we worked with has proven to have great dogs, but their people skills need work. They are very difficult, prickly people, though they treat their dogs amazingly. We do plan to stay in the breed, however, because we love the breed.

Deerhound people have been great so far, but we are not that into it, yet. The breeder that we are working with is AMAZING! So easy-going, informative, and forthcoming. Already, we feel more valued than we ever have in Borzoi!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I went from a rottweiler to a lab, to a gsd, back to a lab. I had mixes in-between(including Mae). I loved,loved my rottweiler and really want another, but it will be a few years. Then I got Abby a black lab mix(personality of a lab,looks of a lab, size of a small dog). She got me on a lab kick. once she passed(I still miss her) I got Tank, a PB black lab. Then a few years after having him I wanted a GSD but that GSD was not right for me. The situation he was in before coming to me made him UN-predicatable and not stable. So a month or so later I started looking again. I went back to a lab. I wouldn't mind getting a stable GSD from a rescue or a breeder. I have been around many and love them. but I will always have a lab.

I wouldn't mind going into the rottweiler world again,either. But that is all from a pet owner perspective. labs are just "my" breed.

I forgot to add-I wouldn't mind going into the Golden retreiver world,either!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Border Collies are "my" breed, however I love a lot of breeds, I cant see myself owning only 1 breed, I LOVE my ACD mixes, they are awsome, and I love Tollers, and I want Standard Poodles and Giant Schnauzers one day.. I cant see myself totally switching allegence from Border Collies ever though lol

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right if this Belgian I am after doesn't get born I might ask to be put on the lists for the other breed :-D
Right now I am still in the asking to come to breeders houses stage so I can hang out with their dogs lol.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I think I'll always be a mutt person.... I have owned/fostered/rescued mutts and purebreds but the mutts have always been THE BEST. I had a Border collie/havanese that was AMAZING. A black lab/Newfoundland when I was growing up AMAZING. I now own a Boston terrier/APBT that is AMAZING! Lol
That being said another of my best dog's (one of my heart dogs) was a Jack Russel terrier. She was an amazing girl.
I am also looking into a Whippet or a Boston terrier for my next dog (if a fabulous mutt doesn't pop up in the meantime)!
I can't see myself having anything other than a mutt. However, I also can't see myself ever owning another dog >.< Hamilton is great, and I can't imagine another dog ever fulfilling all my weird dog preferences as well as he does. I've (hopefully) got a decade and a half, at least, before I have to start thinking about that.... but yea, mutts all the way.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I began at the age of 14 with a Border Collie and a Rough Collie. My Rough had 13 puppies all Champion sired. I wanted to show ... but age did not allow for that. As I began to get older and married and have Children my needs changed. I had Dobermans. In my 30's I obtained a few Afghans and began to show but had a very bad experience with health issues among the dogs. I gave up the idea. I also did luring with the Afghans. :(

I now have mutts at the age of 57 ..... a big switch! If ever I go for another purebred it will either be a Standard Poodle or another Rough Collie or a Miniature Schnauzer or Havanese. :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i have had a few breeds over time (all seperately with only three dogs at a time at the most); my first dog a rescued Eskie, an old doxie mix, then a rescued dobie & GSD, then i got Izze, my first ACD & never looked back :). i admire other breeds & was thinking of rescuing a rough collie but the rescue rejected me so i went with tx cattle dog rescue so i guess that i am meant to have ACDs Lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts