Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In answer to my question, I do (sometimes). This year we have reservations at a nice place but they will only allow one dog. We only had one dog when we made these reservations. We aren't sure if we can make this time slot so we are looking elsewhere. If we go to a resort, I want to at least take the oldest dog since she has this separation thing. Now I am e-mailing gobs of places to see if they will take two dogs (hard thing - I know). Now if it is a vacation that there is no way dogs can go, well I feel guilty. Went on a cruise last month so the dogs were out. Only had the oldest and she stayed with my daughter so that is fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This summer we are renting a condo on the beach in South Carolina that allows up to two dogs with my Aunt and Uncle. They are taking one of their dogs. They have four, so I guess they leave the other three with friends.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To harrise - I understand about leaving your dogs behind. I am very leary myself especially after I left my older dog somewhere last year and she starved herself and I had left the vet's number and such when we left.

Right now I am e-mailing one resort that may allow both dogs to come. In fact they have a link on their page about dog pictures wanted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm planning my first dog vacation this year. (I got my dog last June.)

I have a friend who I can leave him with whom I trust (and she trusts me with her dog), but I'm thinking about going with just me and the dog. Camping out in North Dakota/roaming around the midwest and a few Canadian providences.

Maybe I'll get bored or lonely, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
This past summer we went to a dog friendly lodge in Oregon with Ice. Long car trip, but she was crated in the back and she got potty breaks with the rest of us.

Did you know lots of rest stops don't allow dogs anymore? Talk about making it harder for people to take their pets along. =/

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Did you know lots of rest stops don't allow dogs anymore? Talk about making it harder for people to take their pets along. =/
I've never had any trouble with that either. Heck, I've been to near every rest stop up and down the Oregon coast without any trouble. Most of them even have designated spots for pets. Last time I made that trip was this past summer as well and everything still seemed to be the same. It could be a recent change though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My wife is planing on a trip to Vegas, her second, and going with two other girls. Now I would love to go there just once but we do not have anyone to watch the dogs and take care of then to the extent I would be even slightly comfortable with. So I will never go anywhere except to the hospital in a emergency only!

The not so funny part is my wife wanted to get dogs again, against my protest. She knew I would fall in love again with dogs. But my trade-off, is I have a cabin cruiser, and a audio system that is really high end and the dogs can enjoy both with me. Although "doc" loves music, my little girl loves total quiet. They get lost on the boat and we often play hide and seek! lol They like to attack the fish I catch also, like to eat the fish with me.

·
Registered
714 Posts
First off, let me say I love my husband and my two teenagers.

But sometimes, I think about taking a weekend for me and going to a lodge with just the dog. I could take her for a nice long walk then come back and lay around and read for a while.

With our old dog, we never left him alone longer than 2 days. My best friend came over and let him out and fed him.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Dog shows vacations? Well I guess if you are into that, it would be a vacation - as long as you leave home for at least a couple nights. LOL
Cool. Sometimes we visit friends or family along the way. The dogs have to be welcomed for us to stay.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well we have some awesome friend that will take care of our animals like their own.
But we go to my grandparents' cabin in North Carolina or my uncle's beach house in St. Augustine, so we can bring the dogs.
This summer I'm wanting to head to St. Augustine, and this will be the papillons first vacation. I'm so excited for them. It's going to be great having a beach I can actually take them to within walking distance.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I do believe St. Augustine is my favorite place in the whole world.
I do like how you can walk down town and there's all sorts of people out walking their dogs and out eating with them at the restaurants that have patios. It really seems like a dog friendly place over all. There's also a dog bakery there that we always have to go in and get treats and the dogs love them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I do believe St. Augustine is my favorite place in the whole world.
I do like how you can walk down town and there's all sorts of people out walking their dogs and out eating with them at the restaurants that have patios. It really seems like a dog friendly place over all. There's also a dog bakery there that we always have to go in and get treats and the dogs love them.
Now that sounds like my kind of place :) I'd probably be sitting and chatting with all the people about their dogs. And I'm not even a social person lol.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i don't do vacations....my dogs can't go, i don't go and w/ 4 it's hard to find anywhere to go... leave them w/ someone?...not on your life, not even my husband.....at least not for more than a couple hrs....Tir, Titch and Lacey would be gone w/in a day (fence jumper and gate opener)....and Saoirse would probably follow just b/c....nope, no [email protected]!!, i don't even take time off from work unless i'm made to:rolleyes:....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts