Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We feed our almost 5 month old pup 3 meals a day. He seems most interested in about 2 of the meals and will leave about a bowl's worth collectively during the day. He doesn't eat much (he's 7 pounds and each meal is about 1/4 cup kibble with a sprinkle of boiled chicken).

I am wondering if I can remove one meal, the afternoon one, and feed him only 2 meals at 7 am and 4pm. Maybe this way, he will be more motivated to actually eat all his food when the food is down...

Do you think he is still too young for such a move??? At what age can you start feeding a dog 2 meals a day?

Also, even though he doesn't seem too interested in his food, he seems very hungry for whatever we are eating. Is that a sign of hunger (that he is not getting enough food during the day) or just normal dog behavior?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
What kind of dog is he? What do you feed him? Do you ever give him your food? Some dogs just like to scavenger all day.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Normally I would suggest the 15 minute down pick up rule and some tough love for picky dogs but since your dog is young and a small breed it is important he eats. How is his weight does he excercise much?

He could be just eating all that he needs. I would keep the treats down to a minimal for training only and skip all table scraps. I would continue with the 3 meals a day until he hits close to adult weight. Once he gets older, I would go the tough love route.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.