Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I just became a pet owner. There are many questions I want to ask your guys. I am wondering what is the average amount of sleeping time for dogs. I am a college student who always stay up late, and my dog is always there with me. I don't want to affect his health.

Something to share:
http://www.doesyourdoglooklikeyou.com :D Dog/Owner Photo contest

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
my 14 year old sleeps about 20-22 hours a day. My 7 year old sleeps about 18 hours on a boring day, or about 10 hours on an active day. And my 1 year old sleeps about 10 hours regardless of activities.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I'd say Marge sleeps somewhere between 10-15 hours, depending on how long she is home alone. Don't forget that naps during the day count too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sleep = 0
"Resting my eyes" = ~16

I have seen Hershey actually knocked-out-sawing-wood sleeping only one time. The rest of the time a shift of my weight and she pops her head up.

I would say that as long as you're not up late and forcing him to run around or play with you that he'll be okay. I've pulled a few late nights lately and Herhsey will curl up by my side or head into her crate on her own. She gets going a bit later the next morning if we're up REALLY late, but she flops down for a nap when she needs it.

·
Banned
894 Posts
My dog appears to be sleeping most of the time she is home. I can yell her name or clap my hands to no effect, but if I even whisper "who-dat" or "where's the mouse" or " where's the bug" she will instantly pop to all fours and either run to the window barking, start looking around the floor for a mouse, or in the air for a fly.

The only time I know for sure she is sleeping is when she is in REM sleep.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I think the 'normal' amount of time dogs usually sleep is around 15 hours a day.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Depends on the day. On daycare days, she only sleeps about 9-10 hours. On non-daycare days, she'll sleep 15-18 hours. She would probably sleep more if left alone.

·
Registered
165 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts