Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at my dirty house, the laundry, the cooking, work, yard maint. etc... and I'm wondering where all my time goes. I counted up the hours I spend working with my dogs (including commute time to the activities) and it's somewhere close to 15 hours a week. Between swimming, classes, training (homework from class), walking them, therapy visits and going to the park it adds up to about 15 hours. Seems like a lot.

Just wondering how much time is you week devoted to actively working with your dogs? Is 15 hours about average? And what types of activities do you do with your dogs?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you don't include the time she spends with me at work, or with me sleeping, then probably about 2-3 hours a day sitting together, playing, walking, etc. But she is with me 6-8 hours, 5 days a week at work, and sleeps in my bed at night.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm with them often during summer since work is slow. So they are with me. They get a lot of attention but I wouldn't call it "activites" necessarily. Just quality company and maybe so mind games and running around to get them to think. They stop with playing when they want to and a hour is their threshold. I put a half hour or so a day extra into leash training with Gweeb indoors. It's hard to walk when its hot, sometimes even at night its 90 plus so walks are rare right now.

Winter I bring them out more since its easier for them to breathe and they are kenneled more since I work more. They're restless when we get home that they need it more than summer. It's a tradeoff. Less company from me during day so I up their activities so were probably 10-15hours.

You can kinda tell when they're getting good physical and mental stimulation and mine do not need much physical compared to other breeds. The best thing in the world to them is when I ask them if they want to go for a nap on our bed with me. Pretty low key.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Can I be honest here-- 3 hours a day on my days off (x4) plus maybe an hour on the other days I work.... But I have an active 8 year old and a hubby as well-- so for me-- 15 hours plus maybe 4 hours Family time so 19 hours maybe.....
a Guesstimate!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I won't lie. I average about 40 hours. I've a very -very- lenient schedule. But those 40 hours includes car rides, potty times, walks, play dates, random play sessions, training.. etc. If we're going to include sleeping...well.
We're going to throw that number out the window. My brain shut off hours ago and I can't count that high right now :p

·
Banned
693 Posts
I won't lie. I average about 40 hours. I've a very -very- lenient schedule. But those 40 hours includes car rides, potty times, walks, play dates, random play sessions, training.. etc. If we're going to include sleeping...well.
We're going to throw that number out the window. My brain shut off hours ago and I can't count that high right now :p
And this is exactly why I could never have a Husky. It's a full time job all on its own!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
And this is exactly why I could never have a Husky. It's a full time job all on its own!
You should have been here tonight! We were out on a walk (this walk turned into a 3 hour adventure) tonight, ended up stopping to talk to a neighbor (they love bella). I went to leave - her parents came out with the girls two year old daughter who just absolutely adores Bella. So, naturally, we had to turn around so the little girl, Sadie, could feed Bella grass (her favorite thing to eat when we stop). Then as we went to leave them so they could eat dinner a lady up a few streets from me was walking her 14 year old red/white Husky. So we then had to stop and chat with her and took a walk with them and ended up going -back- to her house because she wanted to let Bella run around in her fenced in yard and we spent about an hour there.

Was a crazy night!

Bella absolutely loved every second of it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
15 hours doesn't seem like a lot to me. I added up the morning walks, afternoon training, evening feed and evening walk + two classes per week with Pixie and got 15.3. If I take Obi to his two classes (which I don't always do) then that's 17.3. If I include the longer training sessions that we sometimes do, as well as taking them outside to pee or just sitting outside while they do zoomies in the backyard, and the extra long walk they get every Thursday, it would probably be between 18-21 hours per week.

And they are with me all day and all night, because I work from home and they sleep in our bedroom.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My 2 get kenneled at nights, but, thats it for them. When they wake, & go potty outside, they get the privileged of the "big bed". Whoo-hoo!! As long as noone is super-hyped-up, they get to stay there til "mom" is ready to regroup the pack downstairs. I have found that they go into what I would call "den mode" whilst upstairs that prohibits them from activating their bladders. After things cool down outside, we take our walks in the evenings, & after chores, dinner & such, well, that's when we break out the "toy box", they/we play the night away. With 4 people in the house, there is always someone to toss a tennis ball.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Right now its about...at minimum 30, probably 40+ though. Depends on my work schedule, it changes weekly! Plus I have classes starting soon at college so...it'll change but not by much. Actually it may make him have more opportunities to get out and about. I could walk him on campus 2 days a week since I have a 5 hour break on Tuesdays and Thursdays :p

·
Registered
529 Posts
15 hours doesn't seem like a lot to me.
That's over two hours every day with your dog. How does that not seem like a lot? Many of us spend 9+ hours at work 5 days a week. Plus we have to prepare meals for ourselves, do chores, run errands, etc. Providing 2 devoted hours a day to the dog is quite a bit for many of us.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It varies depending on my office hours and the family schedule. Typically, we 1-2 hours in the morning and 1-2 hours in the evening with what I would consider purposeful dog-related "activities" like playing frisbee or fetch, going for walks or to the park, training or grooming. I'm not going to count car rides, potty breaks, hanging out or snuggling...that's just the every day stuff and being a part of a family.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It sounds like we're on par with a lot of folks. Good to know I haven't gone over the edge. I have to admit, 5 or 6 years ago, I was not spending so much time devoted to developing and enjoying my girls. I had dogs and cats I came home to, fed, walked and pet. I tend to think there are more opportunities readily available now than there were maybe 10 years ago. The more I learned over the years, the more I enjoyed watching them learn and grow, or just watching then in their element. I love watching Leann swim passionately, and Pebbles run and point critters, fetching, retrieving, etc. so much, that I'm finding I get as much enjoyment out of their activities as they do. So, even though 15 or more hours with my dogs means a messy house....... they are still some of the best 15 hours of my week.

That's over two hours every day with your dog. How does that not seem like a lot? Many of us spend 9+ hours at work 5 days a week. Plus we have to prepare meals for ourselves, do chores, run errands, etc. Providing 2 devoted hours a day to the dog is quite a bit for many of us.
I agree. When you add up the few hours left in the week, after work and the daily necessities, it is a lot of time. I think somewhere along the line, I chose to sacrifice some of my discretionary time and it does ocassionally feel overwhelming.

You should have been here tonight! We were out on a walk (this walk turned into a 3 hour adventure) tonight, ended up stopping to talk to a neighbor (they love bella). I went to leave - her parents came out with the girls two year old daughter who just absolutely adores Bella. So, naturally, we had to turn around so the little girl, Sadie, could feed Bella grass (her favorite thing to eat when we stop). Then as we went to leave them so they could eat dinner a lady up a few streets from me was walking her 14 year old red/white Husky. So we then had to stop and chat with her and took a walk with them and ended up going -back- to her house because she wanted to let Bella run around in her fenced in yard and we spent about an hour there.

Was a crazy night!

Bella absolutely loved every second of it.
Huskys...sigh; they can be a lot of dog! A friend of mine use to have her's pull her on a scooter. She said it helped him relax. Between her 4 dogs I think she was in the 30-40 hours per week range.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Huskys...sigh; they can be a lot of dog! A friend of mine use to have her's pull her on a scooter. She said it helped him relax. Between her 4 dogs I think she was in the 30-40 hours per week range.
It's totally not that bad :)! I'm working with Bella right now so I can roller blade with her.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's totally not that bad :)! I'm working with Bella right now so I can roller blade with her.
lol! I think that's wonderful. I am in awe - cause you wouldn't catch me and my clumsy self roller blading with a dog. Still, if you can do it, that's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
lol! I think that's wonderful. I am in awe - cause you wouldn't catch me and my clumsy self roller blading with a dog. Still, if you can do it, that's pretty awesome.
Thanks :D. I just started skating again the other day and wooooboy. I can't begin to tell you how out of shape I've gotten over the years X_X! So I'm giving it some time to get my balance back to where I feel completely safe having a dog with me again that I can safely control. And in the meantime I'll work with Bella's commands that I'll use when I'm on the blades to make it much more safe :D!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hmmm... well I guess it'd say it depends. I mean, we spend most of our time together. He's WITH me a lot even if we are not "doing" anything. If I have to go to the bank, for example, I usually take him with me for a car ride. Any type of errand that he can come on, he's with me. Plus he sleeps with me every night. Since it's been so hot, we haven't been doing our usual walks but generally speaking, he gets an hour walk per day. I drive 45 minutes to my dads house once or twice a week so that he gets to go swimming in his pool and run around with his dogs. I hit up the dog park a few times a week in nice weather (if it's too hot, we don't go at all, sometimes for weeks though). I really don't know, if I were to guestimate, maybe 20 hours a week of actual "activity". I guess it'd be easier to minus the time that I DON'T spend with him, lol, and that's probably only 4-6hrs a day at the moment.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Gizmo is a very low maintanance (as in feed me and I am happy), so Gracie gets most of my free time.

She gets a walk a day, usually between 45 minutes to an hour.

We train on and off throughout the day, and it usually adds up to another hour a day.

She has therapy dog class on Friday nights, so there is another hour.

Factor in the trips to Petsmart, the playing, the cuddling, the SA training, the crate acclimation, etc., and I would bet I get 20 hours a week...and that is probably low because on weekends, we amp up the work, etc.

Dang. I spend a lot of time with my dogs!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts