Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I am just curious how many of you feed your dogs either strictly Raw, strictly some form of dog food, or a combo of dog food and Raw. I realize lots of people homecook for their dogs, too.....but I'm kinda looking for the percentages of people that feed raw, kibble and/or canned, or some of each.

Thanks in advance for your input!!! :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I feed half The Honest Kitchen (dehydrated raw ingredients) and half grainfree kibble

·
Registered
155 Posts
Right now I have my 14 month old Boston Terrier on Innova Evo. I'm trying to decide what brand of can food would be the best to add to it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, so far we're pretty varied! This is so interesting! :)

I have always fed a kibble and raw combination or a kibble and canned combination, but since I adopted a new dog , I've been feeding them only kibble. The new dog had the runs really bad when I first got her and I found out that the gal who took her in for two days before I got her, fed prey model. This dog had never had raw before that. Once I got her tummy settled, I hesitated to try her on raw again.

I know I will eventually, I just can't help but give at least some raw meat, they love it so much! But, not sure where to start with her? She is a German Shepherd, just turned one year old last friday.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i feed strictly raw, prey model :)

i am really sorry, but i have no advice. when we switched iorek to raw his loose stools firmed up and now he only has runny poops if we give too much meat by accident. good luck getting her tummy issues all settled.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I feed a combination of kibble and RAW. They are alternated every other day, and neither have any issues with it, no runs, or other tummy troubles...and they love the variety. ;)

If you want to get the shepard back on RAW I would just start introducing it slowly back into her diet; a raw bone here and there, and then a meal, and then two meals, etc. The person who had her before, may have just started her onto it, without taking some time to help her adjust to the new diet.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I feed mostly good kibble and occassionally raw. I dont feed those two different things on the same day though. They get canned too sometimes.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I have one dog on strictly raw and one dog on kibble.
May I ask how come you have one on each? Just being nosey.

i feed strictly raw, prey model :)

i am really sorry, but i have no advice. when we switched iorek to raw his loose stools firmed up and now he only has runny poops if we give too much meat by accident. good luck getting her tummy issues all settled.
Can you please tell me what a prey model raw diet is?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Can you please tell me what a prey model raw diet is? Thanks!
as far as i understand it prey model is feeding 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs, the way it is supposed to be in an animal if they ate the whole thing. i think that barf raw has veggies. iorek does not get fruits or veggies unless it is a little treat occasionally.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I feed one dog cooked as she needs to eat grains for calories due to health issues and the other is on prey model raw. I will not be feeding kibble and canned is too expensive.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
as far as i understand it prey model is feeding 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs, the way it is supposed to be in an animal if they ate the whole thing. i think that barf raw has veggies. iorek does not get fruits or veggies unless it is a little treat occasionally.
Thank you for explaining!

·
Registered
502 Posts
One on 100% raw (Bravo) one on kibble (Taste of the Wild)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Actually, I just found out that 80/10/10 is not really prey model. The actual prey animal is bonier than we think - a whole chicken is more like 55/40/5.
I don't have my source at my fingers tips, but I'll try to find it later for you.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I feed mostly kibble, occasionally raw.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Top quality grain free kibble...

Some raw, but I wouldn't (couldn't, I would vomit) touch it when I was pregnant.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Actually, I just found out that 80/10/10 is not really prey model. The actual prey animal is bonier than we think - a whole chicken is more like 55/40/5.
I don't have my source at my fingers tips, but I'll try to find it later for you.
i thought that the 80% meat was high for an animal but i wasn't sure. they still recommend to feed 80-10-10 though, right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts