Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60 lb. neutered male a little under 2 years old. He needs to lose 5 - 10 lbs.

We walk 3-4 miles per day other than that he's inside mostly.

Using different calculators I get different amounts, it appears maybe 1150 cal/day would be a good start?

Also, do the calories on human food equal dog calories? So if an egg has 70 calories and I feed him 2 eggs per day he should only get 1010 dog food calories to hit his 1150 cal/day goal?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yes calories are the same for all things. Can't really answer how many calories your dog needs as there are too many factors involved. If he needs to lose weight simply start by decreasing how much you feed him. So say you feed 2.5 cups a day right now maybe cut back to 2 cups a day and see what happens. Weight lose should be a slower process so you don't want to just see the pounds drop off. If he acts like you are starving him, as some drama queen dogs are want to do, you can add some baby carrots to his meals to help fill him up. They will add very little calories but will help him feel full and complain less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well right now I just feed all 3 of my dogs at one time and my other 2 dogs do a good job of self-monitoring but he eats too much, so I figure I'm going to have to start measuring his food and feeding him separate. Looking for a good starting point.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The easiest thing will be to figure out how many calories he's getting right now, and then subtract about 10% of that. Or just skim off a little food from what you're giving him now.

Calorie calculators are ok to start out a new dog, but different dogs can have wildly different calorie requirements. IME, most of those calorie calculators recommend way too much food unless you have a very active intact male.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts