Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I am new here and i do apologise if i'm posting this in the wrong area.

My beautiful Labrador Libby was diagnosed with lung cancer a couple of months ago after i took her to the vet as she seemed to be hacking and making weird noises as if trying to clear something out of her throat. My vet found a large heart sized tumor across her lungs. I was devastated..he said there is nothing i can do and just to let her go home and live as she has been doing. She is very thin and her eyes look so sad. She seems to eat well, slowly but well. She still plays alot with my jack russell puppy, and yet sometimes she can't seem to move or get up out of her kennell. I guess i'd just like to know how long will she last? The vet had no idea and couldn't even give me a guestimate. Will it be years? She is nearly 13. She still coughs a fair bit as the tumor puts pressure on her lungs. She looks so sad and i worry for her. I love her with all my heart, i just want to know how long i have her for and is there anything i could do to help her??

Sorry for writing such a long paragraph, i just love her so much. If anyone could give me insight on how long labs can live with lung cancer and how i can help make her more comfortable i would appreciate it dearly.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi and Welcome to DF. In my opinion, and other may or may not agree with me but if she is that bad I would honestly put her down. As hard as that is to hear, all of us have had to do it once in our life. If it looks like she is sad and suffering, sometimes it is best to put her out of her misery, and let her suffer no more. Trust me, it is a hard decision to go by, but it's only in the dogs best interest.
I had a dog a few years ago, that was so sick, she wouldn't get up to eat. We had to bring her food to her. She started going to the bathroom on the floor, and when we took her to the vet he said the same things as yours did. Well, a few days later we finally made our decision. Even though it was extremely and painful and sad to lose someone like her, it would make her suffering end.

My prayers are with you, and your decision is your decision. Keep us updated, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the forum.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Laura Clare, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I am also sorry to say that she will probably not live for long. Definitely not for years. My guess is that you will have her for weeks to months, at most. There really is no way of knowing for sure though. It really depends on how fast growing the tumor is, and whether it invades her heart and blood vessels. She will let you know when she is getting sicker. Her breathing will get worse, her energy will continue to go down. If she is really suffering in pain, or is too fatigued to eat or get up to go outside, you may have to consider having her put to sleep. She will tell you when that is.
She is still eating and playing some, so those are good signs. Enjoy her now, and pay attention to the things that make her happy and comfortable. If she needs to rest, don't let the other dog pester her. The most important thing is for you to just love her like you always have, she needs that. I really am sorry that you are going through this. Blessings to you both.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your dog, that's always such a hard choice to make. Is there a good holistic/alternative vet in your area? It may not buy her time (but it might) but may buy her some quality. And give you someone who can help guide you through difficult choices.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just wanted to say I'm really sorry about Libby. One of my dogs died of cancer last year too. I don't think anyone can really say how much longer she will be able to live. Like another poster said, it could be weeks or months. If you think that her quality of life has gone down and that she's suffering, I would personally put her down. With my dog, we were unable to afford treatment for her, and so we made the decision to just let her live as many more days as she could comfortably and then put her down when she let us know she was ready. She lived for about 6 months (BTW, she basically had breast cancer) and then one day we all knew she'd given up on living. She no longer wanted to go for walks or get up out of her bed...that literally happened within a couple of days. One day she was sort of tired, but still very happy to get up, go outside for some sunshine, and go for a nice walk, and then the next she all but refused to go for a walk or get up to even go potty. That's when we knew she'd given up and was telling us she didn't want to live anymore. It was hard, but I know we made the right decision.

I sincerely hope that you will know exactly when is the time to let Libby go, but until then I hope that you and she can spend some more fun time together. :) Let her tell you when she's ready to go, they always do. Best wishes to you both, my thoughts are with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts