Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my dog was a puppy, his trainer recommended giving him a kong as part of his dinner. Now my dog is almost 5 and the supply of ten Kongs are beginning to break in half (that’s when I throw them out, but I also have to make “dog food stew” way more often).
The question is, should I invest in more Kongs or can we phase them out of his life?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I don't think any dog NEEDS kongs. But I think almost all dogs very much enjoy them and benefit from the enrichment (kongs and other food toys). I don't think feeding out of a bowl is bad or wrong. I just think, why make food last 1 minute when I can make it last 30 minutes.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I always use Kongs in crate training and actually very seldom quit using them when they go into their crates. At night when I crate my two younger dogs, all I have to say is "bedtime" and they race into their crates and wait for their Kongs. I use a good brand of canned food in them, frozen. In the morning when I let them out of their crates, my little dogs run into the crates and take the Kongs into the kitchen hoping to get some leftovers from them.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's probably not necessary to feed Kongs, but I'm sure your dog probably enjoys working the food out of them or as a special treat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have two large red kongs (hard rubber stuffable ones) that we fill with milkbones every so often. It gives our dog something to play with. He picks it up and literally tosses it around the house to dislodge the treats. He loves his kongs. When they're empty they make a great chew toy as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts