Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should one leave a puppy in the crate? Right now, we have our 9 week old puppy in the crate overnight (we wake up to take him to go potty) and during the days when we are home with him, we try to leave him OUT of the crate as much as possible (he's sleeping at the base of my chair, leashed, even as I am typing this post).

Is this the right thinking? When do we leave him in the crate (when we are home and when do we take him out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Pup this age is not out of crate unsupervised, If I have a pup I'm housebreaking and the phone rings I put him back in crate while I'm talking if I can't watch him and talk same time. In theory phone rings and you go into other room to answer and pup pees while you're gone and you would rather not have the start of a habit. It sounds like you're doing a pretty good job now just keep it up and do not trust him as he is a baby.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I never left Luna in the crate when I was home. Some do... and I can see the value of training a pup that it's okay to be in the crate even when the owners are home... but it just wasn't important to me.

What kind of dog do you have? Large breed puppies can generally. hold it longer than small breed puppies can...

My brother lives with us and is a college student so most days he was able to be home with my puppy, Luna (GSD mix). There were a couple days when he either had school all day or went to my parents for the weekend. When Luna was 10 weeks old, on the days my brother wasn't there, my husband and I came home from work twice a day to let her out to potty. We left for work at 7:30am. One of us would be home with her between 10:30-11 and the other would be home with her between 2-3. We'd get home from work around 5:30. We eventually increased the time to 5 hours alone when she was 4 months old, and now that she's 5.5 months old we're up to 7 hours, but we baby gate her in to a large room rather than the crate.

It was a bit inconvenient at first, especially considering that we work about 35-40 minutes from home, but Luna is worth the trouble!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds to me that you're on the right track. The key is not to EVER allow the puppy be unsupervised. At first it does seem to get a bit much having a dog literally attached to you 24/7, but it all takes one sec of "looking away" to have an accident (whether it's potty or doing something it's not supposed to such as eating a dropped pill or whatever).

I've heard that every month of the dog's age is how long they can hold it. I don't agree with it as my dog is 5.5 months, and I know for a fact that she can hold it from 11pm to 8am. She never whines at night so she doesn't have to go. I do make sure that she potties before crating and as soon as I take her out.

During the day, the only times I leave her in there is when I have to go to college, take a shower, or eating.

So, I think it kind of varies on dog to dog basis, but the rule is still the same...never leave the pup unsupervised. You're doing just fine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds to me that you're on the right track. The key is not to EVER allow the puppy be unsupervised. At first it does seem to get a bit much having a dog literally attached to you 24/7, but it all takes one sec of "looking away" to have an accident (whether it's potty or doing something it's not supposed to such as eating a dropped pill or whatever).

I've heard that every month of the dog's age is how long they can hold it. I don't agree with it as my dog is 5.5 months, and I know for a fact that she can hold it from 11pm to 8am. She never whines at night so she doesn't have to go. I do make sure that she potties before crating and as soon as I take her out.

During the day, the only times I leave her in there is when I have to go to college, take a shower, or eating.

So, I think it kind of varies on dog to dog basis, but the rule is still the same...never leave the pup unsupervised. You're doing just fine.
I might start putting mine in the crate while I'm eating. Didn't really think about it, but man it's hard to watch him (expect when he's prying to get up on the table to get a taste.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I might start putting mine in the crate while I'm eating. Didn't really think about it, but man it's hard to watch him (expect when he's prying to get up on the table to get a taste.)
At first I thought I can train her "OFF" when we're eating, but we eat in the livingroom (it's just the two of us, and no dining room table), so Stardust gets smart and goes around on our back putting her head down on our shoulders with the cute, "Can I have some Mommy?", after a while, it just got annoying having her nose smelling our food as we put it in our mouths. So, we decided to just put her in the crate and put the towel over it so she doesn't see us. It worked great. I let her out as soon as we're done, and she gets fed. I've heard that it's sort of a rule that the "master" of the house should eat first before the dog. So, it's kind of what we're doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for the replies! So how do you tell how long your dog can hold it? When do I know he can last all night? (I have a maltipoo - 9 weeks old)?

Perhaps a more general question is, when does the "house training" end and how do you know?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Your dog is two months old, so it probably has to go every 2 hours or so. You can increase that every month or so until you get to what sleep is. If you see the dog doesn't have to go when you take it out with that frequency, then bump it up 15 minutes or so.

You're done with housetraining when you can trust the dog never to go in the house. At two years, I've finally reached that confidence. I don't quite trust he won't find some paper to eat, though, and potentially get a blockage so he remains crated or at least confined to a Snyder-proof area.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thank you all so much for the replies! So how do you tell how long your dog can hold it? When do I know he can last all night? (I have a maltipoo - 9 weeks old)?

Perhaps a more general question is, when does the "house training" end and how do you know?
Though your pup still probably will not be able to make it through the night without a potty break, he probably won't have to go out every 2 hours at night. Puppy's bodily functions slow down when they're sleeping... so for that reasons a puppy who has to go out every two hours while awake might make it around 4 hours when sleeping.

With Luna, we just listed for when she started getting restless and then took her out. Many say that you should do it on a set schedule so puppy doesn't learn that barking/whining = getting let out of the crate, but Luna never really did either of those things so we didn't have an issue.

I'm also an EXTREMELY light sleeper so I didn't need an alarm to wake me up: just her moving around in the crate was enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was wondering how do we learn that they need to pee with their whining but NOT teach them that it's okay to whine...

Which brings me to, how do I know he's wanting to go pee and not just whining? Just this morning I've taken him out 4 times in the span of an hour thinking he'd have to go poop but he just goes out and starts playing.

I am starting to second guess myself, suggestions?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering how do we learn that they need to pee with their whining but NOT teach them that it's okay to whine...

Which brings me to, how do I know he's wanting to go pee and not just whining? Just this morning I've taken him out 4 times in the span of an hour thinking he'd have to go poop but he just goes out and starts playing.

I am starting to second guess myself, suggestions?

Thanks again!
Well, I'm deaf, so the whining doesn't help me much, but I've read that dogs give a different sounding of whining.

My dog would sniff the ground a lot and stand by the door hoping it will magically open. It took me a while to realize that behavior means she wants to go outside. Even if she just stands by the door after just about 30 minutes or so, I take her out and say, "Go Potty!". If she doesn't go within 5 minutes, i take her back inside. After a while, she started to learn that standing by the door will always take her outside whether she likes it or not.

Now, she learned to come to me, wagging her tail when I say, "Need to go outside?" So it's a little bit of a better visual for my needs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Luna does not whine to go out. She doesn't bark. She doesn't make a peep.

She simply sits by the gate and waits for someone to notice her. It's all about body language. We learned to read when her body language was saying "I have to GO!" and when her body language was saying "I want you to THINK I have to go, so I can go play!"

Sometimes when they're puppies you simply have to give them the benefit of the doubt. If we read Luna's body language wrong, it meant a puddle on the floor and a setback in potty training. When she was young and didn't know (or care) that she wasn't supposed to go inside, we would take her out each and every time she "asked" to be let out. We would take her out, go to her potty spot, and tell her to potty. She soon associated all of these things with going potty, and not with playing. If she hadn't gone within 5-10 minutes, back inside we went, watching her like a hawk to make sure she didn't do her business inside.

It meant a LOT of trips outside.

Now that she knows she's not supposed to go inside, (It just seemed to happen miraculously one day, LOL) we can ignore her sometimes when she asks, to make sure she really does have to go. If she simply wants to go play outside, she'll get bored of waiting and decide to play with us inside, instead. If she really has to go, she'll stick by that gate until we let her out.

I think what also helped was that when we wanted to take her outside to play, we used a different door than the one we took her out to potty. She began to associate the "play" door with play and the "potty" door with potty. We even took her out to play a few times when she "asked" at the play door.

I hope I'm making sense!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah yes, that does make sense. So for now, it sounds like the best bet is to give him the benefit of the doubt even if that means a gazillion trips to the potty area :)

Check.

Thank you so much for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
After several years we are now a new dog owner again. A friend of my daughter gave us a 7 month old Yorkie and she told us he was housebroken. We have only had him 2 days and it seems we have to housebreak him all over again. I'm thinking this is just because he is in a new environment and we will use all the advice given here until he learns where he should be going.

So far we have taken him outside several times for up to an hour at a time and he just won't go (and yes we took our eyes off him and he has had a couple accidents so we won't do that anymore!)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yorkshire Terriers are very popular puppymill dogs. It is possible that was where he originally came from. In that case, housebreaking will be difficult, but if you are diligent and persistent he should be able to master it.

Are you crate training?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Indeed, I looked away and my 4 month old Aussie nosed a glass to the floor and I had shattered glass all over the dining room. Thank goodness the puppy is fine.

It took me an hour to make sure that all the glass had been gotten off the floor, vacuuming, mopping, etc.:eek:

It happened in an instant while I was opening some mail and I was in the same room but with my back turned.

These guys are real fast!!:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope the OP doesn't mind me "piggy-backing" my question on their thread. We just got a new puppy today. Bella is an 8 week old full-blood Bassett Hound. I've done a little research on how to crate train a puppy and have seen a common thread. You get the dog to go in by putting a treat in the crate, then let them back out, repeat x number of times, then start to shut the door for short time while they are in there, then let them out, and do this x number of times while keeping the door close longer each time. My only concern is Bella is so "whiney" I don't think she'll even notice the treat that's in the crate. Am I starting this too soon? Should I give her a chance to acclimate to her new home? Her crate is just big enough for her to move around inside of and I've placed a blanket over the top as I've heard that helps them feel more secure. Is bedding a no-no or is it ok? I've seen both suggested.

TYIA :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I think what you're doing is fine. Hubby and I let our dogs sleep in the bedroom with us...but as long as the pup can go out to go potty during the night until it is potty trained, it's fine. My dogs are also out of their crate while someone is home, sometimes I will crate when when I mop...just so they don't mess up the floor :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
You get the dog to go in by putting a treat in the crate, then let them back out, repeat x number of times, then start to shut the door for short time while they are in there, then let them out, and do this x number of times while keeping the door close longer each time. My only concern is Bella is so "whiney" I don't think she'll even notice the treat that's in the crate. Am I starting this too soon? Should I give her a chance to acclimate to her new home? Her crate is just big enough for her to move around inside of and I've placed a blanket over the top as I've heard that helps them feel more secure. Is bedding a no-no or is it ok? I've seen both suggested.

TYIA :)

First - It's never "too soon". Second - your pup is probably getting used to the new home. Was she with her litter before? Then she probably was wondering where all everyone else went. After a while, they'll start to warm up to their new home. Once your puppy gets used to being in the crate, she will be less whiney. It's best to ignore her. If you give her attention or give her treats, or take her out when she's whining, you're "training" her whining=out of crate.

You're doing fine. Blanket over the crate does help. It helps my puppy to calm down when we're eating (she's crated while we're having dinner).

Bedding is fine. It's actually depends on individual dogs. Some dogs will destroy their bedding, others just leave it alone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts