Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got my puppy when he was 9 weeks old, he's now 15 weeks old. He is a great dog: mellow, friendly, listens well. I moved out to Colorado in November right before I got him and I would like to go home to see some family members. I know he's still too young to fly with me on the plane, so I was thinking of boarding him eventually. I have two options:

a) Board him at my vet, where he would be at least somewhat familiar with the surroundings and the people.
b) Beg my neighbor to watch him for me. He watches him during the day while I'm at work and has a 5 mo. old lab puppy that my dog absolutely adores. I know he would be much happier in situation B, but I would feel bad asking for that since my neighbor already does me a huge favor by watching him during the day four times a week.

My question is, since he's at 15 weeks now. How long should I wait until I consider flying home to see family? I think option A be harder on him than option B, so I'm assuming that it might be a different time-frame for each situation.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it would be about five days of boarding.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Many breeders will ship puppies at younger ages. Is he small enough to fit in a carrier and ride with you in the plane? What are you going to be doing there, will you have time to take care of him? If you can fly him and have the time to deal with a puppy there, I'd take him, great socialization for him! If not, I'd talk to the neighbor and see if you can arrange a swap (you offer to sit his dog at some point) or offer to pay him to take care of the pup.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I like option B so much more than option A.... Can you cook them a gourmet supper as a thank you, chauffeur them when needed, buy them a winning lottery ticket :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts