Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old Golden Retriever puppy. I have heard of dangers of over exercising the puppy (developing joints etc). Then there are those who say that off leash play (where the puppy takes cues from his body) is just fine. I am confused about how much play / exercise is OK. I don't want to cause harm to the puppy. Any insights would be very welcome.

·
Registered
30 Posts
we let the puppy tell us when he is tired. mostly cues like laying down. stoping to sit. panting hard. i never limit him i let him limit himself. my 15week old palys aoubt 30-45min a play session then a little nap.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would let him tell you when he is tired but make sure he doesn't too much jumping. His growth plates have not closed so you dont' want unnecessary stress placed on his joints.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It's good to watch for signs from the dog, however you ALSO need to be a proactive owner and aware that some dogs do not limit themselves. It's not altogether uncommon for a high energy breed to run itself into the ground...animals are not always good about knowing their own limits. They may know when they are tired, but they are not necessarily in tune with what is or isn't too much for their body - stress wise. As in what may overexert their young, growing systems.

30 minute periods are probably ok. I wouldn't suggest hard running and jumping for that entire time, though. I'd likely mix in some running with lower key play and see how that goes.

You just need to be attentive to your dog and capable of reading his signs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts