Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is too long to leave a 9 week old in his ex pen? Can he stay in it all day and be taken out for bathroom and playtime breaks?

Also he is going 8+ hours at night while in his crate without whining to get out to pee, is this normal? Should I be waking him up every few regardless to bring him out?

New to the forum so let me know if I'm doing something wrong or asking something I shouldn't! Thanks :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
It is always best to limit the space your pup has at first. Mine (12 weeks) is always in the same room as me, with the entrances into other rooms blocked off. I wouldn't keep your pup in the ex pen ALL DAY, just when you can't watch him for an extended period of time (an hour or more) otherwise the crate is good for short term confinement. I give my puppy crate time throughout the day so I can get stuff done, and confine him to the kitchen when there are no humans in the house for more than 2 hours. Just a tip, because this is something I just learned yesterday, puppies can get separation anxiety because they are so young and especially if they have been around people most of the time they've been home. Make sure your pup can't escape or hurt himself.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Well, how often is he getting out for bathroom and play breaks? It's a big difference between being in there 9 hours and getting out once, vs getting out 9 times.

When my pup was that age, he was crated during the day for ~6 hours - 3 in the morning, hour out, then 3 in the afternoon. Once he was 12 weeks we went up to 4 hours at a time for a total of 8, plus 8 at night (with a break to go out until he was at least 4 months old).

So yes, a puppy can be in a crate for 9 hours a day, but it depends entirely on how often he's let out and what kind of interaction and activity he gets through the day.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I think having a few breaks would be good if possible but it will depend on work schedules. If you can come by during lunch and have a person come by as well that could work. I'd just expect he may have accidents at first if he's left more than an hour or two.

I would not wake him up over night.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is in an ex pen not a crate during the day because I am around and in the same room with him, I bring him out every hour while in the pen! I don't like letting him out of the ex pen even when I'm able to keep an eye on him because as soon as he is out he will pee on our living room rug! Despite just peeing outside :( I feel bad for keeping him in the pen all day even with me next to him but I can't have him peeing on the rug at any chance he gets!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
If you're home and able to supervise, I would really try to get him out of the pen more. The only way puppies learn house manners is to actually be out and about in the house, with you right there to redirect them from naughty things and praise for good behavior. I do totally understand keeping puppies confined for part of the day while you're working or can't supervise, but if you're home and able to spend time with him I'd really try tethering him to you and letting him out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let him out every hour while in the ex pen plus when he wakes up, eats or plays. He has lots of toys in his pen and fresh water. I just want to know if I'm doing him harm having him in a pen for most of the day? We tried giving him a a larger area but he started peeing the rug!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!! What about his overnight waking?? Should I wake him even though he doesn't whine or mess his crate? He is only 9 weeks and has been holding it for 7-8 hours!!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Like I said, it's not bad, exactly, and many people confine puppies when they work full time. I just think he will learn the house rules faster if he's allowed out more than once an hour for a few minutes.

If he's peeing on the rug, he needs to go out more often. Moving the rug, or cleaning it with enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) will help too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If he's peeing on the rug, he needs to go out more often. Moving the rug, or cleaning it with enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) will help too.
Yes, definitely this. when my pup is out I set a 30 minute timer and take him out every time it goes off. If he is sleeping I reset it and wait either for it to go off or for him to get up and start moving around, whichever comes first. If I stick to my system, there are no accidents. I've deviated from that before by letting him play first, or not paid attention to him, and that is when he has accidents. completely preventable and completely my fault.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm just going to answer your nighttime question. No, if he's holding it all night and not waking up or messing the crate, count your lucky stars and enjoy the sleep :) Seriously! For all the trouble Cobber caused me during the day, he slept through the night almost immediately after coming home with me at 8 weeks - I was beyond ecstatic about that!!!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If you're taking him out every hour when you're home, and he's still peeing on the floor, you aren't taking him out enough. When my dog was that age, he had to go out every 15 minutes. We used an expen when we weren't home so that if he couldn't hold it he wouldn't have to sit in pee 'til we got home, but when we were home he was out, never more than arm's length away, and never with our attention on anything else. I literally spent weeks staring at the puppy, and running him outside. As soon as he disengaged from what he was doing, or started sniffing, or squatted, I grabbed him and ran outside as fast as possible. He also went out every 15 minutes on a schedule, but if he was 'suspect' in between, out he went. If I couldn't stare at him, like I had to cook dinner or go to the bathroom, and no one else could take over, he would go in his pen until I could watch him again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts