Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy got out of the vet hospital 3 days ago and survived parvo. He is still on an antibiotic. I want to walk him places but I am not sure how long he is contagious. He can't catch parvo again luckily due to a life safing blood transfusion. The vet said due to this he will never get parvo again. I also don't want it to pass on to some other dog while I am walking or whatever.

How long is it contagious? He has about 7 antibiotic pills left.

·
Registered
591 Posts
His stool can infect other dogs for 3 to 8 weeks depending on who you ask and 6 months to a year in the environment. You need to disinfect anything the puppy has touched in your home with bleach and if he has been pooping in your yard it also needs to be disinfected by saturating the ground with a bleach solution. Just to be safe I would not allow him to have contact with other dogs for at least the 2 months . Better safe than sorry !!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If your vet told you that he can't get Parvo again because of the blood transfusion, I would be veryvery suspicious of anything else he tells you. Your dog can't get Parvo again because he already had Parvo and they don't (usually) get it twice. Like chicken pox in humans. Simple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts