Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partial tear happened on Sunday, he's been to the vet and they increased his pain meds. He's on Metacam, tremadol and Robaxin but still in pain. Is this normal? How long does the pain stick around on partial ACL tears? What's the norm?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
With a partial tear, I'd generally expect some pretty significant improvement by now. Not necessarily normal, but visible improvement. If he's still that painful, it's possible that he damaged the meniscus (some tissue within the joint that is sometimes damaged along with an ACL tear). Usually damage to the meniscus is MUCH more painful than damage to the ACL itself. If you're not happy with his level of pain you should call your vet back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sassafras, we are going back this afternoon as I think he's now also developed UTI due to stress and from holding the urine for so long earlier this week.
Do you think a damage to the meniscus could heal on its own with rest or is surgery required? I will mention your possibility to the vet also and see what they say. Thank you!!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Welllll... a surgeon will tell you they need surgery, a physical therapist would probably tell you they might or might not need surgery. In my experience dogs with tears to the meniscus don't do as well with a conservative approach especially over the short term.

Talk to your vet about it, you don't need to decide immediately, you can give him a bit of time to decide if he's recovering.

The other thing that can happen with these dogs is they can get some knots or trigger points high up in the muscles on the front of the leg, from holding the leg up all the time, and then THOSE can be painful all on their own. Think about if you held one foot up off the floor all day, every day your quads might get a little tight. So sometimes a little gentle massage and alternating heat/cold in those muscles feels good to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts