Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Smokey meds for his arthrits in his elbow and I have him new food with extra. How long usually does it take for meds to show improvement? He has been on cheap food his whole life.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
What meds is he on for arthritis? How long has he been on them? Have you taken him to see the vet?

·
Banned
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, hes has been to a vet a few times. The chew pills they gave me didint do anything. He also told me to give smokey half of a 325ng asprin in the morn and the other half later. He said glucosamine and chondroitin were really good, so I just got him new food that had a big amount and that was better than ol roy and he takes a little bit of finish line and then I give him one of the hip action treat from Zukes. The food I got is for seniors and is supposed to help Chicken Soup for the senior dogs soul

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Have you tried metacam? What was the chew tablet previcox, deramax, or something else. I would watch the use of aspirin. It can cause stomach ulcers just like in people. If you must use it than enteric coated would be better. There is a "loading" dose for glucosamine and chondroitin. So adding another 1000mg for the first four weeks (your can use the human grade, buy it at walmart or sam's club.)

·
Banned
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where would they have the enteric coated one. They told em to give the asprin when hes in pain, but its all the time and they said I could give it to him like I have been, but if that would be better I would want that. Is is still a good pain pill?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Go to any pharmacy cvs, walgreens, etc. and ask the pharmacist if they have a house brand of this type of aspirin:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp10120_333181_sespider/ecotrin/safety_coated_enteric_aspirin_81_mg_low_strength_tablets.htm

Try giving the low dose and see if it helps. I would be careful about how much aspirin that you give your dog. We had a dog come into the clinic that the owners were giving regular aspirin 325mg four tablets a day. By the time they brought the dog in to be seen he was bleeding internally. He died the next day. So please be careful.

·
Banned
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I dont give him near that much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts