Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well, what kind of breed do you have? And how old it is? I've seen a Pom go into heat at 4 months. My mutt was 8 months old when she went into her first heat.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I'm talking about Llewellin Setters. This is a bitch who's had a previous litter already two years ago or so. The breeder is waiting for her to go into heat before mating her. I think it's been six weeks already since she's been waiting. I didn't know bitches took so long to get into heat if you were expecting them to. Sorry I wasn't clear.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Dogs usually go into heat twice a year, although I know some breeds that go only once and have heard of other bitches that go more. When was her last heat?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Oh I'm talking about Llewellin Setters. This is a bitch who's had a previous litter already two years ago or so. The breeder is waiting for her to go into heat before mating her. I think it's been six weeks already since she's been waiting. I didn't know bitches took so long to get into heat if you were expecting them to. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Ohh, all right. I thought you meant a puppy and waiting until their first heat. Like Laurelin asked, it depends on when she last went into heat. Before she was spayed, Smalls would go into heat at the very beginning of December, and again at the very beginning of July.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know what? I don't know :eek: I was just wondering if it was usual to wait long when you kind of expected the female to go into heat. The breeder had mentioned that her bitch was to go in heat "any day now" on November 10 last year :confused:

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Well, I hope the breeder figures it out. :) I don't know much about timing beyond knowing Smalls heat schedule, which is now irrelevant since she was fixed a couple months ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts