Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bernese almost 10 months old chews and chews, nothing in the house but outside and wood, anything wood. She likes the deck and loves branches. We were going to build a new deck but why bother. How long can this chewing last for?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Well, Labs "chew 'til they're 2 and shed 'til they're dead" :D . I don't know about Berners, though. I would assume she'll chew for a few more months, at least.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really thinking that Labs and Bernese are so similar!! Her favourite dogs that she gravitates towards are Goldens and Labs:D I'll have to look for wooden doggy toys, never thought of that:)oh ya, and the shedding is unbelievable!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but chewing is a natural thing for dogs to do, some chew their entire lives. My JRT/Rat Terrier still chews, she'll be 4 in July and our last aussie chewed on any stick (only sticks) until the day she died. Best thing is to try and teach her what is appropriate to chew on (bully sticks, nylabones, kongs...) and every time she starts to chew on something inappropriate (the deck, twigs...) distract her with an appropriate chew toy and make it tons more fun and yummy than the wood is to her.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like railNtrailcowgrl said, some dogs chew their entire lives. With my dog Rinoa, you have to be careful what you leave lying around. My dad left his shirt on the bed, and she chewed it up.

You may want to buy some chew toys for your dog, and keep things that she might chew on away from where she can get to them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Our rat terrier, Mabel (7-8 years old) still enjoys a good chew a couple of times a day; probably no more than 30 minutes total. She only chews indoors (outdoors is all about hunting).

Funny thing is that she's never chewed anything that wasn't "hers". We basically followed the advice offered above, of making sure she has plenty of "chew-approved" objects (nylabones, kongs, stuffy toys), teaching a good "Drop it" and replacing the dropped object with an approved one. (but start out teaching Drop It with a high-value treat like chicken; no dog is going to trade a shoe for a nylabone).

She learned it pretty quickly. HTML and Java programming took her a little longer. :D

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm surprised at dogs who DON'T chew forever. Eevee is 9 and still has a drive to chew. The difference here is she's been taught what to chew, and what not to chew. It's very easy to teach with redirection. My dogs have a small toy box, and I place anything they are allowed to chew on in that box.

For younger dogs/puppies who are still learning, if there is something particularly attempting to chew on that I don't want damaged, they are prevented from accessing it unless I'm there supervising, that way I can catch them EVERY time and redirect them to something appropriate to chew.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think that they are either chewers or they are not. The ones that chew do so their entire lives.
I guess some lucky people have puppies that chew and then quit once they grow up- I have never experienced that.
Right now I have 3 chewers and 1 non-chewer.
Be prepared with kong toys or antlers or whatever---re-direct the chewing to the proper things now in case they never get over it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quincy will be 5 in June and he still loves to chew things....mind you he doesn't detsroy our things, its always his bones and such but he still loves to chew...funny thing is he has very few teeth left, maybe 10 in total but still he chews.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Some dogs chew forever. I've got a 10 year old basset hound who chews with a passion. There are few things he loves more than sitting around with a rawhide. The dog lives to chew and eat although not necessarily in that order.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
she chews on nothing but wood, she won't chew her toys and she has plenty. We do have antlers maybe I'll let her chew those:)

·
Banned
352 Posts
My wifes retired Guide is a big yellow Lab, just turned 10 years old. Still chews, but only her Nylabone Souper. Thats it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
my older lab is 12years old and still chews, but we have trained him on what is 'his' to chew on and what he can't!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts