Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my dog for almost a month now and I've taken her on a lot of walks and such but whenever I drop the leash to see if she'll walk beside me, she goes sprinting off thinking we're 'playing' and it's like 'try to catch me.' I mean, if I drive away and she sees me doing this, she will run after me, but right when I'm about to get her leash, she runs away again, thinking it's a game.

I've seen other dogs do it perfectly and they've been owned for less time, why is my dog so hyperactive? She's a border collie / beagle? (It might have helped if I had taken her on a walk earlier, but I was moving today and only had time for a potty walk).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would suggest walking more with your dog practicing 'heel' or whatever other command you would like to use, your dog needs to learn that walks are a time to stay close to you while on the leash. Maybe start off by keeping treats in your pocket, and rewarding him/her for staying close. If all else fails, do not chase him/her, because this would be fueling the fire for his/her want to play chase. Also, you might want to try fetch, a fun way of making your dog keep coming back to you, that might help off of the leash too!

Hope I could help!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this happens to all dogs when it's just them and their owners (not in a group of people, as it seems they will play with everyone)? it just requires lots of training before they will do that?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yup. Regardless of whether it's just you or you + other people and/or dogs, most all dogs will run off without training. Training your dog in loose leash walking, to heel, and to come when called will fix it. It's not hard, just takes a lot of repetition in lots of different places and situations to get it to stick. Start out at home where it's quiet with no distractions and as soon as your dog obeys the commands with that level of distraction, move on to another location/level of distraction. The dog has to learn to do these things in all situations, not just one or two.

There are people on this forum who have amazing voice control of their dogs because of the work they've done with them. The links you were given will definitely work. Try them and come back and ask for more help if you need it. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
Most of the really annoying things that dogs do - running for the hills when they get a chance, barking at anything that moves, peeing and pooping anywhere they please, getting into the garbage and stealing food off the table, for example - are perfectly normal and natural. Some of them were probably essential survival skills for their ancestors.

No dog, unless she's of extra-terrestrial origins, will outgrow these behaviors on their own. They have no reason to. We have to convince them that it is to their advantage (not just ours) to learn different behaviors.

And it is harder than most dog owners could ever imagine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
But it isn't "hard" in the way calculus is "hard". Anyone can do it as long as you have the tools. It takes practice and dedication, but no extra-special skills or talent. Does that make sense?

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
It makes perfect sense.

It's not rocket science, but it seems to take more effort than most dog owners can muster.

I'm not directing that at the OP. I'm a pretty lazy dog-owner myself. (My first dog house-trained my second dog for me.)

·
Banned
749 Posts
I have the perfect solution to having Lola off leash. What I do is use a 16 foot training leash on her. This way it is if she is off leash can run ahead of me and I can call her back. The only time I have her off leash is if we are inside the dog park or a back yard that is totally fenced in.

There have been a few times when she was on a short leash being walked by my friends daughter who is about 9 or so. Lola got away from her and she came running right to me. Another time she was leashed in his back yard (100 acre property) got out of her harness and again came running right to me. I did not even know she was loose and did not even call her. When she was over my sisters house off leash in a fenced back yard I called her and she came running from the side of the house right to me.

What you might want to do is get a 50' leash and train the dog for recall first. When your confident that the dog can be off leash then that is the only time to allow them off leash. For me though Lola will always be on some kind of leash for her safety.

·
Banned
363 Posts
I've come to believe that its better to totally forget about off leash walking for a few months until you have done a lot of traditional leash work and the dog 'heals' and recalls very well. Then evolve from there. Takes a lot of discipline as it is fun to walk around with your 12 wk old pup following you around with no leash.....but if the goal is good off leash control then I'd say do a lot of leash work before letting him off leash at all.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
It's not about how long you own the dog... it's about how much work you put into training the dog. Off-leash reliability is based on training, not maturity.

By the way, if your dog takes after the Beagle side of her, she's not likely to ever be trustworthy off-leash.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
However long it takes you to train your dog not to run off.

I don't walk my dogs off leash. I don't see a reason why you must walk your dog off lead? I understand having reliable recall. I also know many places have leash laws these days. Leashes save lives - I've seen that saying before.

·
Registered
40 Posts
However long it takes you to train your dog not to run off.

I don't walk my dogs off leash. I don't see a reason why you must walk your dog off lead? I understand having reliable recall. I also know many places have leash laws these days. Leashes save lives - I've seen that saying before.
I'd like mine to be able to go off lease so she can play sometimes. And of course when someone lets her slip past them out the door, I'd like her to come back when I say, not after running free for 45 minutes!

But otherwise, yes, dogs need to be on leashes most of the time unless they are fenced in.

·
Banned
363 Posts
The real benefit of off leash walking is when you are places (beaches, parks, forest, etc) where from time to time you can just release the dog and let him poke around, marking etc as you keep walking. Then call them back to heel when you need to or want to. Then release them again, and so on. Dogs love it, they want to follow their nose. Better exercise for them to as they zig zag back forth and cover 3 X the distance you do.

Also jogging is better with no leash (don't have to hold anything).

If you have good off leash control then you don't need to use a leash (practically) at all. Its very liberating and .....well it just feels good walking without a leash knowing your dog is going to stay beside you.

I usually take a leash with me but rarely use it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
That soon huh! I must be doing something wrong:D

I wanna know more about these other dogs that OP knows about that do it in less than a month.:eek:
Maybe they adopted already trained dogs?

Or maybe just dogs with a very velcro attachment.

I didn't have to worry about mine at a month, stuck to me like glue if I was walking, even with zero recall.

The driving off part, I could never get in my car without her from the first week, she's there waiting for me to open the car door the minute she thinks I'm heading for it.

I'm sure some folks watching think she was trained or something. ;)

My dogs spend a lot more time off lead than on usually. This new girl will be an exception at least until her recall and heeling is solid. But likely she will be my first to be on lead almost exclusively unless I can get handle on her strong prey drive.

And to the orginal poster, don't chase your dog when you want it to come.

·
Banned
749 Posts
The real benefit of off leash walking is when you are places (beaches, parks, forest, etc) where from time to time you can just release the dog and let him poke around, marking etc as you keep walking. Then call them back to heel when you need to or want to. Then release them again, and so on. Dogs love it, they want to follow their nose. Better exercise for them to as they zig zag back forth and cover 3 X the distance you do.

Also jogging is better with no leash (don't have to hold anything).

If you have good off leash control then you don't need to use a leash (practically) at all. Its very liberating and .....well it just feels good walking without a leash knowing your dog is going to stay beside you.

I usually take a leash with me but rarely use it.
Personally I would rather see all dogs on leashes when not in a fenced in area. About a year ago I was walking Lola on leash in the park across the street from where I live. As we were in the parking lot entrance near the street a GSD came barreling off leash to us. He was there in about 3 seconds and he was going to attack Lola. I had just enough time to pick her leash straight up to get her off the ground. Then this lady comes over telling me how she likes to have the GSD go swimming in the water. I told her a leash is required to be on the dog and that next time if she has him off leash I will report her. The dog was not even wet from swimming in the water and it was winter out. They do make leashes long enough for a dog to swim and return to shore.

As for jogging with a dog I once saw a woman jogging with her dog on leash and she did not have to hold anything. She had a really long leash and had it tied around her waist.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I think a lot of dogs will do it at first, because they're still adjusting to their new owner and environment, then they realize they can run off and explore and their person will still be around later.

I had just enough time to pick her leash straight up to get her off the ground.
In the future, it'd be best to stand between the two dogs, rather than pick up the little one, especially if the charging one is big. He'll just keep going, jump up and knock you both over. Holding one dog makes them ALL uncomfortable and escalates the situation.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
FWIW I never knew of a dog that had to be leashed all the time until I came to the DoG forum. I trained all my dogs and they all ended up off leash trained. I also always lived in the country and did a lot of hiking.. and I did have the farm. Can't take a dog to the field with you on leash if the dog is walking and you are driving a tractor and there is no place for the dog to ride.

I train a LOT and expect my dogs to work off leash. Always have.

HOWEVER, none of my dogs (past or present) would go roaring up to another dog/human etc. with death threats (feel for you Lola's Dad.. that is scary and she shoud ahve been able to say ONE WORD and her dog should have immediately turned back to her.. so her dog was not only DA, but untrained). Again.. mine have all been trained and over trained.

I go to the Town park where leashes are required and Atka wears her leash but I am often not attached to the other end of it. She is leashed. Technically. It is a good place to train with people, dogs and stuff going on as distractions. The town cops see me working her and they usually watch (I guess I am entertaining LOL.. my dog thinks I am!). I figure if my dog was not trained or was menacing someone they would say something. I think they like watching her recalls the length of the football field and maybe her remote sits, downs and stands.

Again, this takes a lot of time and consistant training. No dog I have owned has worked off leash RELIABLY unless I have worked consistantly insisting on it. A dog that will not work reliably off leash should be on leash with a handler attached to one end and the leash attached to the dog at the other end.

I have even had cats that would go places with me and walk with me off leash.. but that is a whole 'nother training event. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts