Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want my next dog to be a purebred from a good breeder, love my rescues but my last one wasn't really what I was looking for temperament-wise, and I've wanted a newf since I was a little girl, I knew it would take a while, but I wasn't expecting this rollercoaster :(

The first breeding I was on the list for didn't work, I found another breeder that offered me a 8 month old, but the people who saw him before we did (and wanted a female) got him instead, then I was on the list for their next breeding too and it fell through as well... They offered me a 1yo today, but he's not housebroken or really trained, and I just can't take the risk of having a 100+lb untrained dog in my house with two kids and a cat (plus I'm not sure how my dogs would react to such a huge dog compared to a puppy).

I'm going back to school in a few months and was hoping to get a puppy by then to have more time for training, but I guess that's not going to happen... I'm back waiting for 2019 litters that may or may not take (and I'm not sure how far I am down the list either).

I'm guessing this is normal though and I'm not the only one who went through this, but how do you deal? I mean, I do like the dynamics in my house right now with my 14yo and my 1.5yo - I can sleep in until 8am, they don't destroy anything when we're away.. I just worry that my 1.5yo is bored because my old dog won't play with her... and I just really want a newf.

Anyway, wondering about everyone else's experiences waiting for a puppy...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For the rough collie we waited a year. The breeding that we had been waiting for didn't take, so we ended up with an older (10 month) puppy. The smooth collie sort of fell into our laps, so we didn't wait for him. I started researching Beaucerons before we lost the last collie so I was looking for about 3 years but I think the actual wait time was about a year. I got lucky there. People actually wait much longer for a well bred Beauceron.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
For Annabel it was about a year. Beckett I think was closer to nine/ten months. We got pretty lucky on both counts. Especially Beckett since there aren't that many Eurasier litters born in the country every year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nova I got at four months from a woman who had gotten both nova and her brother, and decided to only keep her brother. I got really fortunate with her since all her puppy training was complete, she was already potty and crate trained, with basic obedience. I was on a puppy list at the time but the wait was about a year, I was willing to wait that long but when I saw nova I just had to see her and she was so perfect for us, I couldn’t pass her up.

With Odin, I had been on a list for a little over a year before having the opportunity to choose my puppy, I was adamant about having a male, I would’ve gotten a puppy from the litter prior to him but that litter only had two males and both were reserved by the time it was my turn to pick.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do the 4 years of renting before buying a house and being able to actually get put on a waitlist count...?

Otherwise, it was about 8 months from the time I was on the waitlist until he came home. I like to think the fact that we were Facebook 'friends' for the 2-3 years prior worked in my favor when the time came to actually go on the list.

Edit: By that, I mean to say that the breeder knew me and would not have to ask any questions prior to putting me on a waitlist. NOT that I was given any special treatment while on the list. Just to clarify, haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We knew we would miss prime puppy season if we waited, the closing on our new house was pushed back and we almost wanted to pass on the litter due to timing but took home an 8 week old puppy < 1 month after moving. It's been nuts but it's better than waiting a year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I waited 7-8 months or so from when I first contacted my breeder(over 10 years from when I decided I wanted to get this type of dog!)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
First contact, May 2016. Picked up my pup in end of March/beginning of April 2017.

His registered name (his litter was W) is "Worth the Wait" :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got lucky and found my breeder when she had a litter already born and they were 3 weeks old and thankfully there was one pup not claimed. My husband wanted a female but we took Ragnar. She had another litter coming up so were getting a female from that one, and she was born this month on the 24th.
But before I found her I had been wanting a purebred gsd for a long time, I just got lucky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts