Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13-week old pup, and pretty much since the moment we got him at 10 weeks old we have been battling a nasty bout of kennel cough and/or canine influenza. He has been to the vet and we just finished up 10 days of antibiotics and cough suppressants 3 days ago. For the last 5 days, he seemed to be doing really well! Now his cough is back (admittedly it is no longer honking, loud, or frequent) but it's there every now and then, wetter, and with occasional white phlegm (worst at night). He is still playful and has quite the appetite.

I have read that kennel cough can last up to 6 weeks. But I work in medicine and when a virus seems to get better and then suddenly reoccurs, we start to worry about secondary infections! My worst fear is that he may be developing pneumonia. But it is so hard to tell if it is that or if he is just clearing out the last of the infection from his lungs?

Of course, I will be calling up with his vet when they open tomorrow. But considering that is still a ways away, I would just so so appreciate some insight on what I should be doing right now or if I should be concerned! Has this happened to anyone else? How did you keep your worry under control?

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
Kennel cough and such can definitely linger, but dogs can also certainly get pneumonia, so only your vet can tell you for sure what's going on. Was he cultured the first time around, or just given a broad-spectrum antibiotic? It could be that he wasn't given quite the right antibiotic for this specific infection, if not.

Good you're going back to the vet. Hope everything clears up soon, poor guy.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I have read that kennel cough can last up to 6 weeks. But I work in medicine and when a virus seems to get better and then suddenly reoccurs, we start to worry about secondary infections! My worst fear is that he may be developing pneumonia. But it is so hard to tell if it is that or if he is just clearing out the last of the infection from his lungs?
Most cases of kennel cough are caused by bacteria, hence the antibiotics (which don't work on viruses). It's possible that the antibiotic didn't quite do the job, and now the bacteria have repopulated enough to make him sick again. It is also possible that he's developing pneumonia, but I try not to worry too much unless it's clearly immediately life threatening, or they're getting a lot worse in a short amount of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts