Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kina is now 17 weeks old. There is approximatley 4 to 6 hour gap from the time I leave to go to work and DH gets home.

We currently have her in a gated area with water and pee pads and her crate.

Is it too young for me to crate her for that amount of time with no water?

DH has informed me that the majority of the time he's come home, she hasn't done anything on her pee pads.

At what age can I just crate her for that amount of time?

At night, she can hold it for approximatley 6 to 7 hours. But then again she's sleeping so...

BTW she's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel X with Bichon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It probably changes from dog to dog, size of bladder, how much they drank, etc. But the rule of thumb we use is "He can be alone-crated for as many hours as his Months + 1". So I always figured I had to come home during lunch of my 9 hour day to let him out until he was 8 months old. (8 + 1 = 9 hours) I have no clue where we picked that fact up, or if it's even right.

He just turned 7 months and has been home twice for 9 hours, both times no accidents.

I noticed once though he was going crazy with his water one morning, and he did have his first accident in a long time.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I read in one dog book where they say not to allow puppies to be in a crate for more than four hours. We try to keep to that whenever we have to go out for something, so I would do that. Also JustAnotherRunner had a good suggestion by coming home during lunch hours and taking your dog out then.

Hope everything works out for you and your pup.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. I'll wait another one until crating. I wouldn't want her to have to wait 6 hours with no place to go should DH be late getting home.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts