Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 hours plus now that my hound has been howling. He's stuck in his crate per vets orders basically though I'm going to take him out for a walk in a few minutes. I want to be able to click/treat when he's quiet in his crate, but so far he hasn't been unless he has a kong. As soon as he's emptied the kong (which he can now do fairly quickly) he resumes his howling. I'm never going to last a week this way.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Are you giving him his stuffed Kong while he's in his crate howling?

Or did you put him in before with the stuff Kong and then once it was empty he started howling?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you giving him his stuffed Kong while he's in his crate howling?

Or did you put him in before with the stuff Kong and then once it was empty he started howling?
I put the Kong in first, then him. He's fine for 20-45 minutes depending on whether I froze the Kong or not. Then the howling begins. It's only while I'm in the house though. If I convince him I've left (like walk out of site and shut the front door), he gets quiet fairly quickly. As soon as he sees me though, it goes from quiet to howling to banging on the side of the crate to scratching the door.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Susan Garret, in many of her books and videos, suggests the following method:

-Dog barks in crate - cover with a blanket so he can't look out from any direction.

-2 minutes of silence - cover is removed.

She says that this routine, if followed consistently, quickly extinguishes barking.

I've never tried it myself, though. Any cover I place on the crate would quickly get pulled in through the bars and shredded. In this situation, she suggests building a wooden "frame" to go around the crate and hold the cover away from the bars. I haven't had the motivation to do this yet.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Susan Garret, in many of her books and videos, suggests the following method:

-Dog barks in crate - cover with a blanket so he can't look out from any direction.

-2 minutes of silence - cover is removed.

She says that this routine, if followed consistently, quickly extinguishes barking.

I've never tried it myself, though. Any cover I place on the crate would quickly get pulled in through the bars and shredded. In this situation, she suggests building a wooden "frame" to go around the crate and hold the cover away from the bars. I haven't had the motivation to do this yet.
I tried that yesterday. I can tell you that at least with my dog it doesn't work. His howling continued uninterrupted. I've tried stuffed kongs and frozen kongs. These work perfectly until he empties them. He can't have anything hard that might tear the stitches in his mouth so rawhides, bully sticks and thinks like that are out of the picture. Sadly, these do actually work on him. Covering the crate doesn't work. Moving the crate to a less trafficked area of the house doesn't work. Moving the crate and covering it doesn't work. He will go in the crate on command but when he realizes that there is no longer a treat in the crate and that the door is shut, he goes nuts.

I think Zero is a little pissed at him. Zero is in his crate trying to nap and the hound keeps howling. Every once in a while, Zero will growl at him. Not a happy hulkster household right now.

·
Registered
566 Posts
What you could try to do, is try to get him use to being in his crate while you're home.

Since he is calm when he's in his crate with his kong, put him in his crate and start with 20 mins, take him out and praise him for not howling. Then work your way, to a half hour, then 45 mins, and then and hour and so on. And again when taking him out, give him special treats and a lot of praise for being quiet. Try feeding his dinner when he's in his crate. That way he won't think of it as being a bad place when you're home.

If he starts acting up, do not go to him or even say a word or make eye contact until he is calm. If you have to, leave and only come back when you hear that he has calm down, and when you do come back, don't go straight to him, make sure he is calm and tehn go to him and praise the heck out of him.

I may take a lot of work as it sounds as though he's not use to being in his crate while your home.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Is he on pain meds? This can affect his "mental state"...he's been through a tough time with the surgery. Maybe freeze several Kongs ahead of time?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is he on pain meds? This can affect his "mental state"...he's been through a tough time with the surgery. Maybe freeze several Kongs ahead of time?
He is, but his mental state is questionable to begin with I think. He normally eats his meals in his crate and also usually sleeps in his crate at night. I think he's suffering from cabin fever. If I put him in a room with nothing he can get into, he does the same type of thing. He just sits there on the other side of the barrier and howls non-stop.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
poor guy:( Can he be out on a leash so he can at least be in the same room as you? If you are in the same room I don't see a problem with tethering him to something, so's long as he is good.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
poor guy:( Can he be out on a leash so he can at least be in the same room as you? If you are in the same room I don't see a problem with tethering him to something, so's long as he is good.
That's part of the problem. He's not. He's a 10 yr old dog who's previous owner basically just fed him. You try teaching a 10 yr old hound manners. It ain't easy. At least not for me. In the four months I've had him I still have not broken him of counter surfing, trash can tipping, toilet drinking and a number of other bad habits. I tried "It's yer choice." His choice was to do something else instead of play the game.

I've decided I'm just going to kill the dog. I'm never going to make two weeks like this. I put him outside in the yard and stood at the door so I could watch him. He got some water, peed, pooped, then walked back to the door and started howling again. He doesn't want to be in the yard whether I'm there or not and doesn't want to be in his crate whether I'm there or not. If I confine him to a room, he goes nuts too. He scratches at the door, bangs into the door and howls non-stop. I've disrupted his normal routine and he's not at all happy about it.

Surely someone here knows how to occupy a dog in their crate?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I am so sorry hulkamaniac but when I picture you with Brutus I have to laugh. I know that dog has driven you crazy from day 1. I have to applaud you though for your wonderful patience with him. Yes, you complain and grumble about Brutus but at the same time you have been a fantastic 'Papi' to him. Not many folks would have taken in a 10yr old Basset. Kudos to you guy for your big heart. ;)
I'm still laughing at you though. :p

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts