Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my family (5 people total) are thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that the house is usually empty from 8am to 2-4pm and there is no one to go out with the dog. Some days my dad eats lunch at home, my mom works at home, my brother has a cancelled class in school or something like that, but there is no guarantee that someone will be able to walk the dog during the day.

Does this mean we can't have a dog? We will be able to take it out in the morning, after school/work and then later during the night.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My dog is alone from 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. She has done fine. I just make sure she is with us almost all day on the weekends, holidays, etc. I also let her sleep with me at night. I think you are fine to get a dog. Most dog owners do work and the dogs survive.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hey, people gotta work. It'd be unrealistic to expect everyone to stay at home with their dogs ALL of the time (though I know I wouldn't mind, LOL).

I think you will be fine. Just know that as a puppy, they will need to go out more often, sometimes in the middle of the night too. So the puppy stages will require someone to come let the puppy out. You can always hire a dogwalker if possible, or look into doggy daycare some days of the week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey, people gotta work. It'd be unrealistic to expect everyone to stay at home with their dogs ALL of the time (though I know I wouldn't mind, LOL).

I think you will be fine. Just know that as a puppy, they will need to go out more often, sometimes in the middle of the night too. So the puppy stages will require someone to come let the puppy out. You can always hire a dogwalker if possible, or look into doggy daycare some days of the week.
I am currently unemployed and if we get the dog soon I will probably be with it all day for 2 months or so. We also have 2 cats if that would provide any company to it during the days

·
Banned
241 Posts
Me and my family (5 people total) are thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that the house is usually empty from 8am to 2-4pm and there is no one to go out with the dog. Some days my dad eats lunch at home, my mom works at home, my brother has a cancelled class in school or something like that, but there is no guarantee that someone will be able to walk the dog during the day.

Does this mean we can't have a dog? We will be able to take it out in the morning, after school/work and then later during the night.
Depends on the dog, how you feed it and how you train it... :)

In general, A large breed dog is going to have better bladder control for a little bit longer than a small breed dog. How you feed the dog will also help set their 'schedule' and they will tend to have a fairly regular potty schedule if they are fed at a regular time/times.

There are a lot of times that my girls are with me all day (even at work) but there are some days when they get stuck at home alone. As adult dogs - Mine have had a few times where they went 12 hours without going potty inside OR destroying my home while I was away. (sometimes life 'happens' and you can't get home to take fido out...)

Because of how and when I feed my girls - They tend to be VERY regular about their having to go poop. They always go about 7AM and again at 7PM. You could set your watch by it...

If there are going to be 5 people in your family working with the dog I would suggest that everyone try to get on the same page and use the same commands with it. Makes it a lot more easy for the dog to eventually learn to associate the command with the actions if everyone is using the same commands...

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
A typical workday is just fine for most dogs. My large dog (75 lbs Ridgeback) is loose in the house and comfortable for up to about 9 hours on a regular weekday. He has made it 10 hours on the rare occasion I am stuck in traffic. My current foster dog (40 lbs Pit) is crated for the same 9 hours during the day and she is fine. Previous foster (30 lbs GSD mix) was loose in a dog-safe room for 9 hours daily and fine.

If you are willing to consider adopting a young adult or adult dog (over about 6-8 months of age) then your life will likely be far easier in terms of potty training and being gone during the day. Especially if you get a rescue that has been living in a foster home (compared to a shelter) since most foster parents work hard on house training for both the dog and their own sake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts