Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried switching food, but it doesn't look like it is going to work. She has soft poo and started eating grass. It is only up to 25%-30%. If we stop this new food, how long should we wait before trying something else? Normally I would expect the soft poo, but the eating grass concerned me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've been doing it slowly. She was on TOTW Pacofic Stream and we are switching her to Nature's Variety Prairie Lamb and Oatmeal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My dog could not handle the TOTW I would just switch gradually for 10 to 14 days to nature's variety already if you see she is not doing good on the Totw how long has she been on it.i feed my dogs the nature's variety lid turkey,also the vension,just bought the duck grain free my dogs are doing well on the food .

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^^ I think she is goibng the other way..was doing well on TOTW and switching to NVI which she is NOT doing well on. I would go back to the TOTW for a week or so(just stop the NVI cold turkey), wait till everything is evened out, then stat introducing a new food again.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would wonder about going from a grain free to one with oatmeal. Maybe she's developed an intolerance for grains? My ACD mix can't take any grains in her dog feed, but can handle the cheap treats and whatnot in small amounts. Maybe try another grain free feed if you're worried about the recalls.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sassy was a pain to switch kibbles, at about 50% of new she would always get messed up stool no matter how slowly I transitioned her. I had the kibble and wasn't going to waste it. Kept feeding it and she was always just fine by the time the new food bag was empty.

I transitioned so slowly too. I kept the kibble in the garage and brought a small 2-4 day amount into the house. When switching I would put in 3 scoops of old to 1 new, then 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 until the old kibble was gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts