Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought our pup home in the middle of May. Well before this, I explained to my wife that puppies need even more supervision than kids and should not be let out of your sight to make sure that they don't get into trouble (chewing, peeing or pooping in the house, eating stuff, etc). She agreed with me at the time, but now she disagrees with me. What is the consensus about this? Am I off in my thinking?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Physically they are no longer puppy around 1 year of age! Mentally they will be puppy like till about the age of 2!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
No, you're not off in your thinking. I would say that puppyhood ends around 8-12 months and then you enter the teenage stage until about 2 years old. Rowdy was about a year old before I trusted him to not get into any trouble out of sight. Even then his freedom was limited. How old is your pup now?

·
Registered
301 Posts
my dobbie wa spuppy like till about 2, then he started to settle down a little. But till age 2 they are just as playful as they are when 7 months! ALso they tend to test you mor till about that age to see how far the can go with you!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
For housebreaking purposes, I stay on a pup like a tick until he is at least 6 months old. That's for large breeds that are generally known as easy to house train. For chewing, I find that 2 years is about the earliest I can completely relax my vigilance. With most dogs, 7 months of age is when things are just beginning to get interesting.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Puppies should definitly be watched to save your house from lots of damage, lol....pee and poop stains, chewed up table legs, chewed up everything else...lol.

It's also for the safety of the puppy. With my first puppy, Belle, I fell asleep on the couch and she got the remote and I thought she ate the batteries!!!! :eek: Thankfully she just much have been playing with them and pushed them way under the couch...but that was a REAL scare!!!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
LMAO you had to pick that age didn't you! My new rottie is 7 months old and last night was very intersting! LOL
When my Golden pup hit "the age" it was like firing the afterburners on a fighter jet. His mischief making went supersonic. It's difficult to even describe, and I'd really prefer to forget it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts