Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I'm extremely angry right now and probably not thinking clearly.

My mum's friend's kid just got a puppy. I don't have an issue with her, I have an issue with her boyfriend. He's abusive and killed their kitten. We assume he threw it, then they let it sit in its own waste for a week until it died, when they knew they could have brought it here. No one would give up their address so we could call AC or go get it ourselves.

Since then they've apparently had three other kittens. They're all gone now. Don't ask me what happened to them, I don't know.

So what do they do? They get a pit bull/lab puppy. The guy got it because it's going to be 'short and muscular', though judging by the picture it's going to be fairly large. It looks barely six weeks old. They have no food and can't even keep it there.

So, my mother's friend is caring for it until they move. He wants to take it out for a walk. It hasn't had its shots and I know there's a parvo problem not far from here. I've made it very, very clear that this puppy goes nowhere near my dog until it has its shots.

Now the thing is, I do NOT want this dog going back to these morons who originally got it. They will kill it. They will make it aggressive. They will probably give it up when it isn't cute anymore. They have a baby that they can barely feed. It's just overall a bad idea.

My plan is to rehome it while it's at their dad's house. After playing with it and training it and taking pictures because I so have puppy fever right now :p But how illegal would that be? They got the puppy for free and there's nothing saying they own it (no initial vet check, it's not registered). If I could I'd take it in myself, but our place isn't big enough and we can't afford it. Could they sue? If so, what could they sue for if they haven't spent any money on the dog?

I'm desperate here. I know what these people are like. They're the people that give this breed a bad name. They will abuse her, starve her and get rid of her within six months if she doesn't die first.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Very illegal. Report them to animal control; it's not your problem, don't creat a legal problem for yourself by doing something foolish.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't think the question here is how illegal would it be.. it's acknowledging that it is illegal at all. You can't justify something's illegality by saying, "Oh, it was just a little wrong..."

At the first sight of foul play I'd just call Animal Control.

I'm a little confused... is your friend supportive of this plan to re-home the puppy?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not really sure, honestly. He said they won't be getting the puppy back, but with him it's hard to say if he's telling the truth or not. And he's the only one who would be able to tell if the pup is in any danger or not and I know if it is he won't care.
The whole family is frustrating beyond belief.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Then they don't sound like someone who you should be messing with. What if you re-home the puppy and the people come after you? If they're as big of lowlives as they sound, what would stop them?

Like I said, call AC as soon as you start hearing about or seeing something bad.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No one'll even tell us their address or phone number since the kitten incident.

I have to admit, though, as bad as they are, my family is worse. Not in terms of spousal abuse, but in terms of we aren't exactly people to bother. I'm more worried about legal issues. It's just one puppy, but the breed is what sets me off. They've already been talking about strengthening the BSL here. She's not my puppy, but she is a life. After getting Dandi and dealing with everything she's had to go through, it's just too much to let it happen to another dog if I can prevent it. I know what these people are going to do. I know what they're capable of. I don't want to go to jail, but I don't want this puppy to die or be mentally scarred.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Did they get them from a shelter? Could you contact the shelter somehow? I don't know what you'd say, but..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea where they got it from. Mum said they got it from a random person for free.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
No one'll even tell us their address or phone number since the kitten incident.
You know these people's names and the city they live in do you not? It's not that difficult to get a person's address or phone number. There are about a bajillion (just got done counting them) places on the 'net to do it if simply calling 411 doesn't work.

To your original question, I don't know where you live, but in States pets are considered property. If you take their dog it's the same as if you took their couch. You're guilty of stealing. Laws in your jurisdiction are going to dictate what the punishment for that is as they differ from place to place.

·
Banned
335 Posts
No one'll even tell us their address or phone number since the kitten incident . . . I don't want to go to jail, but I don't want this puppy to die or be mentally scarred.
Go to www.whitepages.com and see if you can find the phone number that way. As far as the puppy being killed or mentally scarred--I hate to sound callous but--not your puppy, not your problem. Don't set yourself up for serious trouble by making it your problem. Animal control will take care of it, if you are able to get in touch with them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AC isn't going to do anything.
I'll just sit back and watch it die like we did with the kitten.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Why don't you think AC is going to do anything? If there really is a problem, it will be taken care of.

You can try to contact rescue groups in your area, too, for advice.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Well then, honestly, I don't know what to tell you. I think the responses you're going to get are going to fall under the category of a) calling AC, b) calling a rescue or C) talking to your mom's friend or someone comparable. I can't imagine anyone recommending to you that you steal the pup from them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not my dog, so why should I care?
I'm just going to take everyone's advice, sit back and do nothing. There's no proof of abuse, AC won't do anything. I don't know what a rescue would do. And my mum's friend is a despicable excuse for a human being who won't do a thing about it.
So what's left? Absolutely nothing.
I won't be reading replies anymore.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I'm just going to take everyone's advice, sit back and do nothing. There's no proof of abuse, AC won't do anything. I don't know what a rescue would do. And my mum's friend is a despicable excuse for a human being who won't do a thing about it.
No one ever said you shouldn't care.. you sound really angry and although I understand that frustration at having limited abilities in terms of helping an animal, I don't think it's fair to take it out on other forum members who are trying to help you as best they can. If you want to steal/rehome/whatever the pup, that's your prerogative. That doesn't mean everyone else has to agree with it.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
There is no need to be dramatic. This is the last forum that wants to see any animal suffer. The problem is if you get caught, you can be arrested. Dogs are considered property and it is theft. If you're willing to risk this over the puppy then that is on you, but don't misrepresent the situation to the next home. I don't know the extent of the law, but I have to wonder if they take a dog that has been stolen if they can be put in harms way.

You don't know AC won't do any thing unless you call. I can see where you think they wouldn't, because there has to be proof of abuse, and without that it's a tough situation where they can't just take the dog because someone THINKS it is in harms way.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
No one ever said you shouldn't care.. you sound really angry and although I understand that frustration at having limited abilities in terms of helping an animal, I don't think it's fair to take it out on other forum members who are trying to help you as best they can. If you want to steal/rehome/whatever the pup, that's your prerogative. That doesn't mean everyone else has to agree with it.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If the situation is anything like it is here......rehome the pup. Take it to a good shelter. If they don't have vet records they'll never be able to prove ownership. Even WITH vet records, it's impossible to prove ownership unless you have pictures of the dog (but only if he has distinctive markings) or the dog is microchipped. And Animal Control won't do anything, to you or to them. Just because something's technically illegal doesn't make it WRONG.

Sitting back and watching an animal being abused to death is not something a good person does. "Not my dog, not my problem" is a horrible attitude. I suppose we should let people beat their children to death, too, because we shouldn't interfere because it's not our kid?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
If the situation is anything like it is here......rehome the pup. Take it to a good shelter. If they don't have vet records they'll never be able to prove ownership. Even WITH vet records, it's impossible to prove ownership unless you have pictures of the dog (but only if he has distinctive markings) or the dog is microchipped. Just because something's technically illegal doesn't make it WRONG.

Sitting back and watching an animal being abused to death is not something a good person does. "Not my dog, not my problem" is a horrible attitude. I suppose we should let people beat their children to death, too, because we shouldn't interfere because it's not our kid?
The problem I have with this, is it opens the door for a lot of other things. If you're willing to steal this one pup, why not all the other animals that seem mistreated? Why not the dog left tied in a yard 24/7 with little to no food, why not the dogs from the local puppy mill, etc. etc. There's a reason people aren't running around as vigilantes and there's a reason we have laws in place. Disregarding them because you feel in the 'right' isn't what a good person does either.

Besides that, no one said that action shouldn't be taken. They simply didn't encourage the actual stealing. Other suggestions have been given and disregarded.

And as for children, no you shouldn't sit back, but you wouldn't kidnap some kid from it's family either. You'd go through other legal means to solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts