Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide to get a female or male and one of my questions is, if I wait until 2 or get and ovary sparing spay, how difficult is it to put the panties on, how often are they changed, and, I hate to ask, but do you take them off when you walk them to go to the bathroom?
Is this a real pain?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I am trying to decide to get a female or male and one of my questions is, if I wait until 2 or get and ovary sparing spay, how difficult is it to put the panties on, how often are they changed, and, I hate to ask, but do you take them off when you walk them to go to the bathroom?
Is this a real pain?
I have had two females intact that I eventually decided that, while really good dogs, were not good enough to breed so I spayed them. Age 3 or so.

The panties on and off depend on the dog. Train it just like you train anything else.
Of course they must come off for the dog to potty. You line the panties with a sanitary napkin (part of one). Some dogs are so clean there is little blood anyway.

The biggest pain comes if you have any intact male dogs around. If they have had vasectomies they still want to tie. If you separate the dogs the males will carry on.. crying in crates. A Heat lasts about 3 weeks with a start of blood.. then the blood will become pink tinged serum and it is at this time the dog can be bred.. and then the dog will produce blood again and "bleed off." Heats are opposite of human menstrual cycles (for those who know nothing of heats). A bitch in heat is building a follicle getting ready to ovulate and become pregnant.. and a human menstrual cycle there are no follicles and no ovulation.

Another big pain is that you cannot take your female out for a walk from your house. ANY male dog will smell her and try to move heaven and earth to follow that scent trail your female leaves all the way back to your house where they will park themselves. So, while common sense dictates your in season female must be isolated and only walked on leash (even in your own yard) and cannot be left out in a kennel.. must ALWAYS be on leash and watched.. the other pain is that to walk her you need to get her in the car and drive somewhere to walk her. Then, again, you must be vigilant. Safer NOT to walk her.. keep her home for 21 days and then 3 days after she bleeds off.

I actually walked with a cattle prod so I could drive off any male that came along (if one did).
Spaying is a good idea and better than ovary sparing spay because she will not come in heat and she will be less likely to develop breast cancer or ovarian cysts etc. I would wait until 2 years old to spay. That means after her third or fourth heat (they come in heat every 6 months after the first one in most dogs). Some females come in heat much more randomly and/or more often.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Just like any other accessory, training them to accept pants is always a good thing. I didn't need pants for my GSD, but my pittie wore them. Yes, pants come off for pottying (would you like to have to potty while wearing your underwear?). I walked my girls their first week in but if they were in standing heat, we didn't leave the yard, and even then, I leashed them sometimes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, pants come off for pottying (would you like to have to potty while wearing your underwear?). I walked my girls their first week in but if they were in standing heat, we didn't leave the yard, and even then, I leashed them sometimes.
I didn’t know if they were like absorbent diapers.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I cannot see the advantage of ovary spaying if they still come in heat as that is the most annoying thing about having a female if you are not going to breed them. I usually let my females have at least a couple of heats before I have them spayed and have never had any problem with putting the pants on, they didn't seem to even notice them.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Both my bitches would chew off anything you put on them that they could get their teeth into as as they were left unattended, including period pants.

I don't really understand the value of an OSS in the majority of situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts