Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
It varies widely based on time and weather. Weather mostly since I find the time if needed.

Typical workday, in warmer (65-85 degrees F about) but not hot weather, is a 3 mile walk, taking about 45 minutes. Weekend walk is 3-6 miles of hiking OR a jog of the same distance on a paved path. In cold weather (<65 degrees F) we bump the workday walk to a jog of 3 miles or a hike of 5 miles and the weekend doubles also. Chester is 5 years old and 80 lbs. Heat is the main limitation; we can walk all day on a Saturday if the temps are cool and he has water. In the insane hot temps of late (100+ degrees) it is strictly yard time since the pavement will burn their paw pads.

For my fosters, if time/weather allows, we do a 3-4 mile walk on the hills of the local park daily (along with Chester- he is capable of more exercise, just not demanding of it) and 6-7 miles of hiking or 3-4 miles of running on the weekend days. The fosters are pit bulls or pit bulls mixes, 40-80 lbs and usually young, and tend towards the high energy side of things. If the weather sucks and is super hot, then we do many very short breaks outside with water and A/C in between to keep them from being stir-crazy.

I have a fenced yard, so all the dogs get play time there several times day as they seem interested.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmm..

Adult Lab (5 years old, 50lbs) gets about 1.5 miles before I go to work. First she goes outside in the fenced area as soon as I get up (not concious enough for putting one foot in front of the other until teeth are brushed for some reason) then the walk. Her most favorite toy ever is a soccer ball...she will chasie it around forever if I let her, so she entertains herself quite well with that while I shower and get dressed after the walk. (Don't fret..6ft fence with electric dog fencing running along it. Not that she has ever tried but just in case.) Then after work, another 1.5-2 miles and about 1 mile before bed.

The puppy gets the 1.5 in the morning and some yard time (she simply tags along behind the bigger dog), and about 3/4 mile after work and before bed. I do the afternoon walks in a figure 8 sort of loop, so I just stop at some point and put up the puppy before she's over-exercised. She is usually passed out in her crate by the time I get the big dog home.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don't really measure it so much in distance as in time. Molly, one year old, 13 lb Terrier mix, usually gets at least 45-90 minutes in the morning and then usually a shorter 30 minute walk in the evening.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Weather permitting, I walk Gunther at least an hour each day, but more often it's either a couple of walks of 45 minutes- 1 hour, or sometimes 2-3 hours in a chunk (usually later at night) when I am feeling like it.

Lately, because it's been so hot, I only take him out during the day to pee, and take him for a two or so hour walk including a game of fetch or hiking at the park in the early morning hours between 5 am and 8 am, where it's been around 80 degrees (as opposed to the 100+ degrees during the day). I make sure I bring tons of water and let him lay around and cool down every couple of minutes when playing fetch, though.

In the winter we are much more active, frequently taking long walks and playing in the snow (when there is some). One of our favorite games is going to those big mounds of plowed snow in parking lots and chasing a laser pointer up and down and digging after it.

Gunther is a Labrador/German Shepherd mix going on 2 1/2 years old and weighs around 85 pounds.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
AS far as the heat lets me :D Just kidding

tank- is eight years old, 70-80lbs and a black lab. He has "HD: in one hip and suspected arthritis forming in both. He still walks 2 miles with me daily. he also gets an hour off-leash(for some reason he will stay in a heel beside me). And swimming time:D and Obedience periodically throughout the day.

Bentley- 2 year old yellow lab and 60lb's. He gets a 3 mile walk, one mile bike ride(sometimes longer, depends on weather), 3 hours off-leash(fetching most of the time) and LOTS of swimming. He also gets an house of Obedience.

Mae- 9 years old, 30lbs and a mix breed. One mile walk and 1 hour of Obedience training. She wont do anything else,lol.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I havent a clue about distance lol I typcally walk my dogs for 45-90 minutes on work days(depending on how much time I have before work) and 3-4 hours on my days off. my dogs are:

-9 year old JRT mix
-12 year old BC
-10 year old BC
-6 year old Toller
-9.5 month old ACD/GSD X 2

on work days they come with me to work as well(doggy daycare) and on the days off, thats 3-4 hurs of walking, running and swimming, before playing in the yard at home.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I don't count is distances so much as time, like many others.

Troubles, my 8 year old chihuahua, gets most of his exercise indoors by playing fetch, and we play fetch generally whenever he wants to. It's beyond not safe to walk him in my neighborhood.

Aleu, 5 year old Siberian Husky, approximately 30something lbs and Diesel, 4 year old Border Collie mix, approximately 60something lbs, go twice a day, an our each with periodic play time and running in between.
However, recently we've been having very high temperatures (triple digits) and while Aleu would be happy to go for a run in them, Diesel and I are not. So we've been doing one walk a day, in the evening, for about an hour+ with some running before bedtime.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Every one is getting middle aged/old here, so they are content to amble the two miles around the neighborhood. Shambles is short of being two (oh my god is he really already?) and an Alaskan, so we have to GOGOGOGOGO. I would have to figure out how FAR we go when we go out, but it's usually an hour and a half of walking, then flirt pole, then wrestling with the dogs that will wrestle with him, then at least 45 minutes of wrestling with Elsa. Repeat lest my house gets eaten.

In the 100+ degree weather the last week? None of this. We can't even walk after dark because it's still in the high 80s. That time is yard time and driving me crazy time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In the spring I walked them for about 45 minutes (I have no idea how far, but we walked at a decent pace) and they get one 15 minute walk in the morning and one 15 minute walk at lunch. Now that the summer heat has hit us, we do maybe half an hour of slow walking outside along with the other two normal 15 minute walks. The dogs just don't want to be out for any longer. We play fetch and tug inside instead. Most weekends they get a long walk (2+ hours) where we go somewhere cooler (the beach, the ravine, the island, etc.). I have a 10 year old standard poodle and a 2.5 year old havanese. Both of them are fairly mellow, so as long as they get their crazies out playing tug or fetch, they're okay. When I take them out for 2 or 3 hour long walks, it's not because they need it, it's because they like it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 2 year old German Shepherd.
Depending on the weather if it's hot(70+), he'll get an hour walk around the neighborhood and then off-leash in a big field near my house, which is about 2 miles.
If it's cool(68 or lower) he'll get a walk all the way to a road that is essentially a mountain trail, that is all off-leash and he can chase rabbits, coyotes etc. This is about 3 miles and 2 hours.
The only reason I can't take him on the mountain trail when it's hot is because of rattlesnakes, which are nonexistent in the field, no matter how hot it is.
Then we play ball and chase throughout the day.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have my two yorkies.They´re 18 weeks old,weigh 3 and a half lbs and we walk them a couple of miles a day.We take them to the beach front and walk all the way to the end and back.Takes us over an hour and they LOVE it :D

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Luke is 3yrs old and weighs 18lbs. His morning walks are normally 30min to an hour, if the weather is fine. If it's summer time, we only take a short walk because neither of us is good in that weather. Luke has a single coat and so the heat hits him harder than a double coated dog cause they have an air condition in their fur, so-to-speak where Luke doesn't. He's a Coton De Tulear.

Here's our schedule: (weather permitting: no snow or rain and if it is really hot or really cold, the walks are about 10-15min shorter)
6:30-6:40am walk: 30min to an hour

Before Lunch (usually 11:30am to noon): 10min walk

After Lunch (somewhere around--if he isn't napping first--1:30-2pm): 30-40min walk, sometimes longer

Before Dinner (normally around 6pm): 10min walk

After Dinner (normally around 7:30-8pm): 30min walk

Around 9:30pm or 10pm, we take him on another 10min walk because he's been waking me up in the early hours of the night (2-4am) to go to the bathroom. So now he gets a 10min walk then.

If I stay up till 10:30pm or 11pm, then it's one last "Go Bathroom Luke" and then we're off to bed!! Oh yeah, in between these walks I do play ball, fetch, "Who's gonna get the puppy?" with him. The last game is basically where he runs from me with a ball/stuffed toy in his mouth and I try to chase him to get it back. He does nap too because I have to have my time as well. And that's it!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Right now. We're barely walking. My pup is not allowed on the asphalt because of the heat. I carry her to the grass, she does her business and then I carry her right back inside. However once it gets cooler and she's a little older I want to take a nice long walk everyday. To burn off excess energy right now we're having extended fetching sessions indoors. I live in a shotgun house so I stand at one end and throw the ball all the way to the other.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Depends on the day and the temp. In winter time, we walk probably twice as much as summer. Right now it's in the 100s so mostly yard time or I load them up to take to my dad's pool. Summer just lays on the porch or bothers the cat and Mia likes to ride the floaties around the pool.

Yesterday we did an early morning park run at 7 am, then went to my dad's property for a little over an hour (long story there) then we were at agility for over two hours in the shade but it was 95 when we started. They were WORN OUT afterwards and are still sleeping it off. This morning they've helped me (lol) with the yard, then we're heading to petsmart, and I'm planning on restarting crate games with them tonight from scratch so that will take a couple hours to do both. Lots of just playing ball inside for the young hyper one. On an average day we probably play 1-3 hours of ball. I can multitask and play tennis ball very well.

We never have a set schedule at all. Whatever we want to do or whatever fits the schedule. Some days we may only be outside to potty if the weather is like it is now and other days we may be out 6+ hours. I try to change things up as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Potsie, who was abused severely in his former life HATES walks (anything that takes him outside and on a leash terrifies him b/c he was tied to a tree for about the first year and a half of his life, along with the abuse) so he only walks about a 1/2 mile to a mile before he totally melts down mentally. He's a work in progress. We'll drop him off, then Maddie and I will walk another couple of miles. In the summer, it has to be in the early a.m. because of the darned HEAT down here! Right now, everything's on hold since Maddie's hurt and can't do anything for 14 days. It's been a week so far, a long week! :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
THIS PARTICULAR SCHEDULE APPLIES TO DYCEN ( ALMOST 2YR OLD AND AROUND 25-30 POUNDS) I'm a stay at home so when the weather is nice we are usually outside for the better portion of the day. In the morning he gets let out at about 4:30-5:00 am for about 15-20 minutes then again around 7:30-8:00 am for another 20 mins and then from about 11am-3/4pm and then from about 7-9pm with a thirty minute walk at around 11pm. He gets fed from a kong or a soda bottle as well as from his dish. We play hide n seek with his toys and just added hurdles and swimming to the mix over the past 3 days...

The 4:30 outting and the 8 o'clock outtings are walks around different parts of the neighborhood the 11 O'clock one is as well. The other outtings vary as to what we are doing based on the day. But he is always interacting with either the other dogs, myself or my kids... he is hardly ever left alone 8-10 hrs a week at most during a typical week.

All of our dogs are taught dance (bigger dogs spin in circles as if chasing tail, smaller dogs up on hind legs spinning in circles.)

ALL DOGS ARE ON MODIFIED VARIATIONS OF THIS SCHEDULE. BASED ON THEIR ENERGY LEVEL. TIRE SWING AND POOL DO NOT APPLY TO RILEY (8YR OLD 120ISH POUNDS) or BAMBI ALSO 120ISH POUNDS).

·
Registered
385 Posts
It depends on the weather....if it is cool she gets 4-5 miles a day. She is almost 2 years old. If it is warmer maybe a mile or 2. She is really lazy and rather lay down in the shade or inside then walk in heat. lol

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Shep is an 11 yo Lab-GSD and we walk 1-2 miles everyday (once or twice daily) for 20-30 min. depending on the temperature. If the temperature is under 40 degrees with no ice, we walk much faster, and when the temperature is over 100 degrees, we walk more slowly. He is off-leash in a park for half of the walk and in the street on-leash for the other half. He potties before the walk and eats after the walk.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts