Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the "wrong" section, but I was torn between general, health, and training lol In any case, I was just curious to throw it out there to see how many people run or jog with their dogs and for how long or how far?

I'm determined to make more of an effort to take Jax (my husky and/or who-knows-what mix) running at least 2-3 times a week. I've had him nearly 2 months and while I walk him 1-3 miles almost daily, along with fetch or whatever else I may do just playing, I know he's a pretty good runner so it's all the more reason to get myself back to running on my own, away from work (army guy, so I do enough running as it is). I'd gone maybe 2 miles with him a few weeks back before I was beat from the pace we'd started at, and hadn't done it again lately till tonight. Made it 3 miles and walked another, though he was nearly done for not far past 2 miles.

So, yeah, anyway...just curious as to who goes how far with what breeds and obviously any other random info/knowledge anyone may have to contribute.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I have completely slacked off on my running, but when I was actually dedicated to my training, we did daily runs of 3 to 5 miles and usually 2 long runs per week of 8-10 miles. I ran an 8 minute mile on the short runs and a 9 minute mile on the long runs. He could go faster than that up till about 6-7 miles, then he was happy with my pace. He usually recovered from a long run in about 1 hour of rest and would be ready to walk more or play (but maybe not run). Chester is a Ridgeback mix and definitely was made to run.

I made sure to stop every other mile and check Chester's paw pads for abrasions, broken glass, gravel etc. We ran on asphalt in the city and on asphalt in urban parks. I planned routes around water stops and never ran at all if the temp was over 80 degrees and between about 75 and 80 degrees would only run shorter routes in the shade. Keep an eye for fatigue, many dogs will keep going past their safe point trying to keep with their owner (when it is hot etc). Gums should be pink/normal color, not white and not bright red, the dog should have saliva and not dry mouth. Glazed eyes and lack of focus are signs of heat illness also. I avoid concrete to reduce the impact on both my joints and the dog's joints.

Now, we don't run much; in part because I find it hard to run with two dogs (mine and the foster) and in part because I got lazy :) But we do jog on the trails some and that is a good choice since the dirt paths are both easy on the joints and tend to be cleaner from debris/trash. Otherwise our exercise is fast paced hiking (about 4 miles each day, in 1 hour or so)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The most Kaki has run in one day is 16.2 miles. Though one day we got lost and ended up running for 4ish hours. It was pretty brutal and definitely too much for both of us.

A normal run is generally 6ish miles. She's almost eight years old and that doesn't put a dent in her energy level.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow to both answers. Definitely further than I'd think normally, and 5-6 will probably be the most Jax ever gets to. I think he'll take a little more work to build up to the 4-mile average I want to get back to running along a route through my neighborhood, as he seemed to drop off a lot more than I expected today after the first mile and a half. Looks like, just as I had a hard time once learning, my dog also needs to learn to pace himself lol

I know there are plenty of active, energetic breeds and many that were bred originally to do a lot of sustained running for various reasons, but still was curious as to how many people REALLY run their dogs. I see plenty of people at the parks around here walking, but hardly ever see anyone truly jogging laps in any way with their dogs and the parks I go to are absolutely made for running and such activity so it's not like it's a location thing.

Thanks for the input though. I don't feel nearly as bad about pushing him to 3 today but I'll definitely build up slowly from there and be sure to keep an eye on the things ya'll have pointed out. That was part of the reason I stopped at 3 today, as I just don't really know what his limit is at this stage and didn't know exactly what signs may just be a dog saying I'm tired of running vs. a dog saying I'm absolutely exhausted and can't go much further.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Depends on our day and the plans. They walk for a few hours a day and run for about an hour (loose in an enclosure) for definite exercise. Now that spring is here and the risk/presence of ice is here - we runs errands with the dogs. We get out the bikes, put the baskets on them and let the dogs pull us to the store for shopping (one of us stays out with the dogs). We have started doing this more as gas has gotten increasingly expensive. So depending on the groceries/supplies we need and if they will fit on a bike - a few more hours of "running" - although it isn't steady as we have to start and stop since we live in an urban environment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do it a lot less often than I did, but when I do go running I RUN and I make him RUN. now the caps are not for duration but for quality. When I say I run, I mean I don´t hold anything back. Dog comes really tired after that, so I wouldn´t do much time. I just walk him for a while, RUN walkk him while I am resting and then RUN and then wakl and rest and the final RUN. Then both to home to pant like crazy xD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since I've gotten Ida we've started doing 1/2 mile runs followed by a 2-6 mile walk daily. The reason we don't run as much is because she's really not a runner. While very active she refuses to run more then half mile but LOVES to walk for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Everyday, I cover 6 or more miles with my 4 year old GSD doing some combination of sub 9 minute/mile jogging and intermittent sprinting. When in the woods/trails, he is off lead right next to me and we got crazy together.

I talk to my dog before we go outside and use 5 or 6 trigger words to explain our adventure. For example, I will say "baseball" and "herding", then let him choose what we do first. When he chooses baseball, he takes me to the field then sits and waits for me to start the baseball tasks. When he chooses herding, we enter the woods at a certain place, then I release him and we herd each other.

I have learned not to underestimate his intelligence and wherewithal. Now my female lhaso is a totally different operation, lol.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I built Jack up to 7 mile runs ("run" used loosely--I average an 11:30 mile, lol) before he injured himself while hiking.

I'm working with Lela now. Usually I run during lunch break at work, but try to go with her twice a week. We usually do one 2.5 mile and one 4 mile. I have a hands-free leash that makes it easy!

Jen

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I don't measure the distance but go by time, conditioning, and activity. Right now an average run pulling the scooter is about 20-30 minutes give or take, and canicross over the same distance is about 45-60 minutes (I am an extremely slow jogger on my own, though it's not as much effort with them pulling).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts