Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!:wave: This is my first time here. I have come to ask about my dog, Coco. She was bred to our own dog, Marley. So now we are 100% sure she is pregnant but do not know when she is gonna pop!

A description on how she is now..

She is verrry fat! I mean like the last time I properly looked and her and felt her she was a little fat and a little bit tender but not so much.That was 4 days ago. I just brought her in a few minutes ago. She has put on twice as much weight and is as hard as anything to touch. Her boobs are also very big and saggy. She is completely different from 4 days ago. So now this...We do not know exactly when she was bred. I know for sure it was around the start of July but the exact date I have no idea.

I read on different sites that they get fat around the last week or two.

About the dogs..

They are both purebred, registered Labradors. This is our first time breeding so not everything is easy to understand XD Both dogs are really good and have good lines so we are not breeding for the fun of it.

Ok and another thing..Is it safe to leave the male dog with the female as she whelps and as the pups are growing up or will he kill them? The vet said it will be fine but I am a little worried because he is such a big dopey dog and very clumsy..I am thinking he will squish them or something..will Coco even let him there them?

Ok thanks guys :biggrin1:

ETA : She is also peeing A LOT! I brought her for a walk the other day. She stopped literally ten times to pee.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have another question...Is it safe to give a pregnant dog vaccines? I have read it is not but the vet said it is =/ I didn't think it would be but I obviously do not know. Also she had kennel cough last week. The vet gave her and injection and antibiotics...Will they harm the pups?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Do you know any breeders that can help you? You've really got your hands full and not much time to learn how to handle this. No, I would not allow the male around the puppies.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh we can handle it but just have some questions that have gotten so many different answers. Our vet doesn't seem great. He is all easy going and says whatever happens happens. I also do not think keeping the male is a good idea but when I asked him he laughed and said it will be fine =/ And yes we do know some breeders we got Coco off who will more than likely help. We have had pups before but it was not planned ( Different dog a few years ago) We had her on her own so had no problems with other dogs around her. And we kept the pups until they were 8 weeks. All very healthy except two who got Parvo =( One died sadly. But yeah we know what is happening just some things that we have not come across before.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
A one-year-old dog is not old enough to have been evaluated for hip dysplasia (which all breeding Labs should be, it's a huge problem in the breed). And just letting the dogs go at it, not knowing the actual breeding date, just isn't safe (you ought to know the date so something can be done if she goes too far overdue). So obviously this is not a healthy breeding. I hope everything works out but I don't see this ending well :(

You really need to find a vet who is experienced with breeding issues. So many things can go wrong. . .what if she needs an emergency c-section? What if she gets eclampsia or won't stop bleeding? A good vet is necessary if you're going to breed. This one doesn't sound like he's very knowledgeable on the subject.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
You don't know when you bred them? I'm hoping both of them have OFA hips and elbows at least. I would go to your vet who can ultrasound or xray and give you a pretty good ETA.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
and then there's the fact that dogs have their own versions of STDs that can be transmitted from mom to pup...if they don't kill the puppies in the womb.

a vet is NOT a good resource for a breeding. most of them don't know the half of it. you're in over your head.

did you breed her on her first heat? because that's really unhealthy too.

you tested for hip dysplasia right? its heritable..and in more severe cases dogs with dysplasia have to be put down..a sire or dam can carry it without actually having it.

yeah..in over your head.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww you guys are so nice!! Honestly cannot judge me! They have both been tested for everything! Both dogs are fine. I was not around when the dogs were bred so I have no idea exactly when! I already said I know it was the first week of July. The dogs are always together we have no way to separate them. And of course she was not bred on her first heat! This was her third =/

I only asked a question that none of you answered so if you don't mind..If you are not actually gonna answer the question then just don't post telling me I don't know what I am doing! All of you have gone totally off the subject =/ Thanks for the help anyways!

Oh and we do have another vet on call that is around the corner from us.

Thanks labmom for trying to help =) I will ask Coco's breeders about this...

And so sorry if I am overreacting but this is just wrecking my head! It is none of your business what I am doing with my dogs. I only asked a simple question..

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's not possible for your dogs to have been tested "for everything", since your male is only 16 months and your female is probably under 2 years old, too (did she have the accidental litter on her first heat? Poor thing. What happened to those puppies, I wonder?). Hip dyplasia can't be screened for until 2 years of age.

I guess it's just terrible that we want to see people producing healthy dogs and not crippled dogs with hip dysplasia who are in terrible pain and have to be PTS at a young age. . .

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coco is actually 2 and a half...They have been tested for everything possible. We have checked back in both dogs breeding lines. We have done everything so far.

And I never mentioned hip dysplasia in the topic so why was all of this brought up? Just because I don't know exactly the day my dogs mated I do not know anything and am a terrible person =/

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I understand your feeling attacked and I'm sorry. Please understand that we see a LOT of very irresponsible new people coming here that are contributing to the over-population of unwanted dogs and so we get upset sometimes.
First off, I'd hightail it to a decent vet. ASAP. He can tell you better when she'll give birth and you need him on hand in case things dont go well. You also should really have an ultrasound done so you know how many puppies there are and can make sure she doesnt retain a placenta. Have some extra money on hand in case an emergency c-section is necessary. In the meantime, read every single thing you can get your hands on about whelping. Good luck.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Because responsible breeders check for hip dysplasia (and again, it's not possible for your male to have been accurately tested yet), so any time you mention breeding on this forum somebody will want to make sure you're a responsible breeder. Because millions of dogs are being killed in shelters every year, anybody who adds more dogs into that needs to really know that they're actually doing the breed a favor instead of producing more unhealthy, crippled dogs who will also die young. Labs are SO prone to bad hips, it's very basic to test for that before breeding.

How do you plan to prevent her from getting pregnant on every heat (which is very bad for her) if they're never separated and neither one will be spayed/neutered?

I think at this point in the pregnancy an x-ray would be more accurate to find out how many pups are in her than an ultrasound would be. You need to know how many pups are in there so you can take her to the vet if not all of them come out.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally understand about people breeding for no good reason. But we bred because both dogs are excellent! Marley has a famous grandsire whom I forget the name of XD And Coco is just a fabulous dog. I also do not like it when people breed and then let their pups go anywhere. But we already have people wanting them and we know the people so we know they will be looked after. We hope to get an ultrasound done next week but not knowing when she is gonna whelp does not help. I am going to say the first week in september which is only 2 weeks away. She sure looks ready to have them. I have read this great site on whelping! I forget the name of it but it has everything that can go wrong etc. So I am prepared for that part. I just need to know when to get ready.

Oh and another question...Is it ok for her to have them outside? We have made her a big box/kennel type thing that has enough room for two dogs so she has plenty of room. We are gonna divide both dogs up next week so she can be alone.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I was thinking X Ray too as I read it on that great site XD

Did I say they were never getting spayed or neutered? If I did I am sorry because Coco is definitely getting spayed after these are born.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's better if she has them indoors. Less exposure to diseases, and more chances to properly socialize the pups.

Having a "famous grandsire" doesn't mean a dog doesn't have hip dysplasia, or that he himself is breeding quality. And you said in the training thread that you think there's something wrong with him mentally. . .why do you want to possibly pass that on to his pups?

Anyway, it's good you're going to have her spayed after this. I hope this litter is healthy and nothing goes wrong.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will love telling my mother that =/ But hopefully she comes around because I want her to be inside.

I said he was a 'loony bin' That was me joking...As in he is crazy and mad. Not that he is mentally ill. I just find him very dopey at the moment. Because he is a big dog with a puppy brain.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She is gone away for 2 weeks so I only have to talk my stepfather around which will be easy! He pretty much lives with those dogs XD And hopefully she has them before my mother comes back so they cannot be moved =P

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyways here are my dogs! Just because...

Marley

Coco..That was her last week

This is what happens when they get inside XD

This was when Marley was younger...Coco did not like him at first but I guess he grew on her :p

After a swim

After another swim..Her first one actually! She loved it

And this is when we got Marley..As you can see he has grown a lot!

Soo sorry for the picture overload I got a bit carried away !

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The puppies have to be indoors in an area that is at least 70 degrees. Newborns can not regulate their temperature, if they get cold they are as good as dead.

As for the sire being around bad bad bad idea. That is too much stress on an already stressful situation, he is most likely bound to get his head bitten off by a protective mother. Plus she could eat her puppies or trample them, which could happen anyways but you get the point.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts