Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband asked me what was wrong with Kabota last night. I, of course, freaked out because I thought his yeast infection was much better, but my husband showed me what he meant.

Husband: Kabota!

Kabota: pricks ears forward. does not look toward husband.

Muggsy would come running if you said his name. He treated his name as recall, basically. Kabota recognizes his name, but seems to see it as a marker that commands will be forthcoming. He pays attention, but doesn't come running or even look in your direction.

The thing is, Kabota does come when called. He also looks at you on command. "Kabota" doesn't mean either one of those things to him, it just seems to mean "We'll be asking for something soon, pay attention."

Now, my opinion on this is that it's fine. Muggsy had very human manners. He responded to his name like a human, he looked people in the eye when they spoke, etc. Kabota is very sweet and really likes people, but his manners are doggy perfect, and as such human weird.

Plus, I never taught him that "Kabota" means recall or "look at me". I taught him other words for that. I think a person should ask for what they want.

What do you think? How does your dog seem to understand his name?

·
Registered
915 Posts
My dog took it as a "pay attention". I'm not sure if it's a stretch or not to say she knew "Thumper" meant she was being addressed, as in referring to herself, not the act of paying attention if that makes sense.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Depends on context/inflection. If I'm in another room, Mumble will treat his name as a recall, and usually in those situations I'll say "Mum-bulll!" the last syllable is stretched out and a higher pitch. If he is within sight, he'll just look to me and wait to see what I want, generally. Unless he sees something delicious in my hands, then he comes running. And I tend to say his name with a "normal" inflection at those times.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What an interesting question. Hobbes seems to think his name means "Pay attention - commands forthcoming." He doesn't come to me unless I say "Hobbes, Come." If I just say "Hobbes," his ears perk up and he looks at me, but usually doesn't come over.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Depends on context/inflection. If I'm in another room, Mumble will treat his name as a recall, and usually in those situations I'll say "Mum-bulll!" the last syllable is stretched out and a higher pitch. If he is within sight, he'll just look to me and wait to see what I want, generally. Unless he sees something delicious in my hands, then he comes running. And I tend to say his name with a "normal" inflection at those times.
Mine are both the same. If I can't see them, I'll call their names and they'll come running (or slowly amble over, in Casper's case, haha). If they're already in the same room as me, they'll just look at me. More than once I've called, "Crystal! Crystal!" wondering why she's not coming, only to look over and see her curled up in the back of her crate, staring at me as if to say, "Yeah, I'm right here. What do you want?"

·
Registered
222 Posts
My older dog treats his name like a human might. If someone says Chompey in casual conversation, he'll turn and look to see that's going on. He also acts as if it's a recall.

My lab is pretty much the same, although she doesn't respond to casual mentions as reliably as Chompey. Very interesting idea!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
For my dogs it is eye contact, which means I have their attention, and can tell them what comes next. Honestly, if what you are doing works for you, no need to change it. I just find that when I have my dog's eyes, I am more likely to have their attention

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm happy he knows his name. Rescues come with a slightly different set of expectations.

I wonder what the difference is?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
For Jubel it's always attention and often a recall but not always. Kinda funny, that's one of the exercises we did in our agility class which I didn't need to work on at all as Jubel is very handler oriented. The goal was for your dogs head to snap around and look at you when you called their name, Jubel was 100% on that every time in class.

Even my foster dog Duncan it very consistent in giving me his attention when I call his name and that has only been his name for just over 7 weeks now.

·
Registered
462 Posts
For my dogs saying their names gets their attention. If I want them to come I say "come" after their name. Either of them will usually come if I call them in a sweet tone. It doesn't matter what name I call them. It's the tone of voice. I can't print here what I call Puddin' when I am trying to get her to come in and stop barking at a squirrel that has run up a tree. All I know is that if I ask her to come she will simply give me the finger. If I curse her out in a sweet voice I have a far better chance of her coming and I can get a little satisfaction in cursing her out. Training fail.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch is also one that will look at me if I say him name in the same room as him, but will come to me if i say it in another room. If I say his name as I get up he will get up and follow me. (but he usually gets up and follows me even if I don't say his name. He is also rarely not in the same room as me.)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I fully believe all of my animals know their names, like we know ours. Well, the jury's still out on the fish, but we'll see ;D
Troubles will turn and look, Diesel will look and wag his tail, Aleu, well, that just depends on her mood. If she's generally happy she will stop to look and see what you want. If she's in a bad mood (sulking over something most of the time) she will just turn her eyes to look at me and give me a dull stare as if to say "What do you want now?"
Then again, how do we recognize our names? If someone calls my name my ears jerk, or I turn or my eyes move. It's a call to attention 'Hey, someone wants YOU. Respond.' and of course sometimes it doesn't work.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Interestingly, Crystal recognizes MY name. If my mom calls my name, Crystal turns and looks at me -- every time. If we're out walking and someone a half block away sees me and calls my name, Crystal gets excited and practically drags me up to them. My friends are her friends, basically!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If we're out walking and someone a half block away sees me and calls my name, Crystal gets excited and practically drags me up to them. My friends are her friends, basically!
That's pretty adorable xD

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
ppl say that I am crazy, but my dogs ESP Izze knew their name in different context in which I say it: they know the 'please come inside' names, from the 'quit that!' names & the come for attention or play' names ... If that makes any sense lol. Of course I try not to use their names when thy are in trouble but it sometimes comes out as a knee jerk reaction when they are Doing something potentially dangerous lol which is only a handful of times but it's 'enough' for a sharp shifted breed like ACDs to pick up the 'bad voice' name. :p

Question, do you guys believe that a dog who was called something else for their life learn to answer to another name? Buddy's prolly wasn't buddy before he was abandoned but he answers to it. Josefina we wanted to call 'billy jean' after the Michael Jackson song but she wouldn't answer to it, we tried a few other things we wanted to call her (can't remember what they were now) but as soon as we said 'josefina' (pronounced 'hosa-fina') she would look at us... So the name stuck :p

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Dogs clearly can learn new names, multiple names, and different tones of voice. In fact, Ian Dunbar suggests that repeating a cue and name with increasing emphasis is different than repeating a command, and is an effective training method.

My dog, Shep, pay attention when I say his name. If he is focused on something else or trying to sleep (most of the time now), he will just point an ear at me, unless my tone indicates that I want his attention. (I don't know the difference, but he does...)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Blu Boy and Abbylynn immediately come running when I call their names. I have taught all my dogs over the years that when a name is called ... nicknames also ... that there is a positive action about to take place. It could be a treat or just a good pat or a belly rub ... etc. ... fun ... a game ...

Then there is the new one Eddee ... I am using the same positive reinforcement with his name ... but this one just is not interested. Sometimes he will look me in the eyes ... sit there and stare at me in a frozen state. He will refuse to respond. Sometimes when he is "in the mood" ... he will come running.

Eddee will never be off of a leash I can tell you that for sure. He will refuse to come forth a quarter of the time ... except for food. That 1/4 of the time he does not respond could spell disaster.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Dogs clearly can learn new names, multiple names, and different tones of voice. In fact, Ian Dunbar suggests that repeating a cue and name with increasing emphasis is different than repeating a command, and is an effective training method.
I've seen Dunbar do this, and quite honestly there is more intimidation involved than I feel is personally necessary for most dogs, especially in early stages of training. Not harmfull, but a bit of overkill; I imagine it works, although he didn't allow any dogs at the seminar I attended.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts