Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have been searching for so long to find a dog food that is better than supermarket quality. but we have hardly any choice here. so i would really like your opinion on this food :)

ingredients;
Beef meal, Ground corn, blood meal, bran, animal fats, fish meal, fish oil, potassium bicarbonate, salt, garlic, kelp, rosemary, added vitamins and minerals. Wheat and G.E. free with no artificial flavours or colours Naturally preserved with rosemary and Vitamin E Added garlic, kelp and fish for Omega 3 & 6 (a natural source of glucosamine)

Vitamins (min) iu/kg of dog biscuit Protein (min)% 20.0 Fat (min)% 10.0 Linoleic Acid (min)% 1.0 Fibre (max)% 4.0 Moisture (max)% 10.0 Calcium Phosophorus ratio 1.4:1 Sodium (min)% 0.3 Chloride (min)% 0.45 Potassium (min)% 0.6 Minerals Vitamins (min) mg/kg of dog biscuit Vitamin A 8000 Vitamin D 800 Vitamin E 80 Vitamin C 50 Vitamin B1 3 Vitamin B2 6 Vitamin B6 3 Vitamin B12 0.03 Vitamin K 1.5 The feed amount is 1 cup per 10kg of dog weight

i really dont know much about dog food so wondered what you guys thought

i also found this one, Nutragold.

INGREDIENTS
Lamb (18%), lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, barley, white rice, oat flakes, egg derivatives, chicken fat, potatoes (5%), millet, linseed, natural flavour, kelp, carrots (1%), peas, tomatos, apples, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, shell fish flour, cartilage of poultry, vitamins & minerals.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The Nutragold is a much better food. Although it does contain tomatoes which a lot of people don't care for.
The first food you posted contains corn,animal fats,which is okay, but it does not specify where it comes from, I'm not sure about blood meal but it doesn't sound too appealing:p

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply :)
finding a good food is hard work, im sure it will be worth it in the end.
ill look into the nutragold more.

i just found another one; but since ground corn was the first ingredient i was unsure;
Ground corn, beef meal, blood meal, bran, animal fats, fish meal, fish oil, potassium bicarbonate, salt, garlic, kelp, rosemary, vitamins & minerals.

No artificial preservatives or colouring - naturally preserved with rosemary and vitamin E. Added garlic, kelp and fish for omega 3 & 6 (a natural source of glucosamine).

Composition Vitamins (min) iu/kg of biscuit
Protein (min)% 20
Vitamin A 8000
Fat (min)% 10.0
Vitamin D 800
Linoleic Acid (min)% 1.0
Vitamin E 80
Fibre (max)% 4.0
Moisture (max)% 10.0

·
Registered
976 Posts
Corn is a filler, and being the first ingredient means it is comprised mostly of corn.
Having never come across blood meal before I just did a quick search and found the following on thedogfoodproject.com:
Blood Meal
AAFCO: Blood Meal is produced from clean, fresh animal blood, exclusive of all extraneous material such as hair, stomach belchings and urine except as might occur unavoidably in good manufacturing process. A large portion of the moisture is usually removed by a mechanical dewatering process or by condensing by cooking to a semi-solid state. The semi-solid blood mass is then transferred to a rapid drying facility where the more tightly bound water is rapidly removed. The minimum biological activity of lysine shall be 80%.

An inexpensive protein booster. You have no way of knowing what type of animal the blood came from or what residues of hormones, medications or other substances are in this product. It has a better use as fertilizer than as a dog food ingredient.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts