Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering this for a long time. Some people have claimed that high protein kibble like EVO or Orijen causes kidney failure, liver damage, etc. at 40-44% protein.

Raw feeders however, feed mostly meat and it doesn't damage their dog's organs? I've heard raw has about 20-25% protein because of the water content but if high protein kibble is in the stomach and mixed with the water that the dogs drink, would it be a similar level of protein?

Is there more or less protein in a 40% protein kibble diet compared with raw diet?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Raw is very comparible in protein, percentage-wise. I have a bag of NV frozen medallions and it contains around 40% protein on a dry matter basis.

A high protein diet does not cause the failure of kideys or liver. Dogs are carnivores so they are designed to digest a high content of meat, which is protein. It is also important that the protein come from quality sources, such as meat. Plant proteins are far less digestible than meat proteins in the short digestive systems of dogs.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! That was very helpful!

I feel much more confident in feeding a high protein food now that I know feeding raw has similar protein levels. I've never heard any dogs have problems with protein or liver problems on raw food so I trust the kibble won't give my dog problems either.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Just in case you are curious, I have three small dogs and a cat on a raw diet, for the last four years. Since my daughter works in a vet lab she runs blood chemistries on our animals twice per year. Every one of them has come up absolutely perfect. In fact, the cat just had a pre-op panel before a dental just this past week. Ten years old and absolutely normal. The vet even commented that there are no signs of aging that he would normally see at this age...no clouding of the eyes beginning, kidney values are still completely normal, no signs of diabetes or thyroid problems, ...no aging problems at all yet.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ever tried grain free high protein kibble? Would the lab tests still be normal because raw has a lot of water content while high protein kibble requires the dog to drink much more. I guess some dogs that don't drink will end up with problems.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I've been wondering this for a long time. Some people have claimed that high protein kibble like EVO or Orijen causes kidney failure, liver damage, etc. at 40-44% protein.
That is a complete myth and totally untrue. Protein has nothing to do with kidney failure. What is true is that kidneys that are already diseased or not functioning properly have trouble processing nitrogen. Nitrogen is a by-product of the digestion of poor quality proteins, like from plants. That is why Kidney patients should avoid eating low quality protein and eat only high quality proteins from MEAT sources instead.

Is there more or less protein in a 40% protein kibble diet compared with raw diet?
It probably is about the same actually, but it's better to convert the RAW to DMB and then compare the two. The FDA has an explanation of how to calculate DMB - so that you can make a straight comparison between differently hydrated foods: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts