Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Looking for a little insight...

I have a 2 year old Labradoodle. He does not bark often but when he does it is quite loud. In the last week, he has started barking at night. Our dog stays inside and usually sleeps on the floor in our bedroom. Last night he barked four times. Jumps up.. runs out of the room and barks. He won't stop until I get up and approach him. Luckily it was a Friday night and I did not have to get up early for work.

Any ideas of how I can get him to stop barking without having to get out of bed? Or better yet, how do I get him to ignore the noises he hears outside and not bark in the first place?

The weather has been warmer and there are more dogs outside overnight. At least one time last night he was barking because he heard another dog barking outside. I am not sure what he heard the other times.

Ideas????
Thanks!
-Mike-

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sorry to say that with Alert barking you have to get out of bed. It's your job to investigate and run off the 'intruder'. This tells him that his job is done....you're taking over. Here's the key step....you thank him for the alert, use your Quiet or That's Enough command and if there's no threat...Yawn. Dogs understand that...boring/nothing to be concerned about and more importantly, they learn that sound doesn't need an Alert in the future.
This isn't a quick fix but, you end up with a confident, calm dog that is not so reactive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's very clever. Yawning won't be a problem if he keeps waking me up at night. Ha Ha! I like it when he alerts me that someone opens the front door or that type of thing, (good watch dog) but I am hoping that I can get him to stop barking at sounds in other yards.

Thanks for the suggestions!
-Mike-

·
Registered
98 Posts
Squishy, the yawning really works. Tucker P Macaroon used to bark all the time, day or night. I've been working with him over the last month or so, investigating the sound (basically I get between the dog and the sound), thanking him for alerting, saying "that's enough", and yawning. He's much less reactive to "sounds" these days. The thing I notice about Tucker is that he has to be looking at me when I yawn, and I exaggerate the yawn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts