Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

How do you train a dog to get out to the backyard?

574 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
Hello!

I've been teaching my dog to get out to the backyard/garden to do her business by pushing the screen door ( this is very light). Have you guys done this? She knows how to knock though, we are still trying to teach her to get out by herself by giving treats but no luck yet. This is what I have done with her siblings and she's the only one who can't go out. She stops in front of the door and calls us by call meaning she pulls our hand by her mouth going to the door.

Our backyard is secured and the dogs won't be able to get out of the premises.

#7 ·
Ah! So she's not going through it when it's propped open? I still think targeting would be a useful behavior here. If you can get her to target your fingers, or a marker stick with a ball at the end (like this picture here, easy to make your own but you can also find inexpensive ones in a lot of stores with a good training supply selection), you work up to her walking to the target to do her nose touch. At that point it becomes a super useful tool to direct any dog to move where you want - onto a scale, on or off furniture, or - yes - through a door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.