Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how I currently do it. My dog knows the "not yet" command, so I would take treat #1 in my left hand, let him smell it, and put it on the ground in front of him. I would then take treat #2 in my right hand, let him smell it, and put it on the ground to the right of treat #1. I than say "Ok!", and see which one he grabs first. He sometimes goes for treat #1 first, sometimes treat #2 first, but is inconsistent in which treat he likes by using this method.

I'm trying to figure out his favourite treats so I know what to use as "high reward" treats.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Ahh, that's one of our puppy school tests! We have the folks go home and put all the different treats on paper plates then bring the puppy into the room. Let them chose..keeping track of what they went to first, second and third.
We also tell the folks about the treats that 'seasoned' trainers use...string cheese, sliced hot dogs, SPAM, liver with garlic, etc.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I have also found no consistency in this. My dog, being the opportunist that she is, seems to scarf them up based on proximity, i.e. whatever she gets to first is the one she eats first. She will skip over things with low value, so I can tell which things just don't float her boat. But the only way I can tell what she likes best is how vocal she is and how fast she races to her bed when I offer it (she has to do a down/stay on her bed to get non-training treats).

·
Registered
52 Posts
i quickly found out which were the high ranking treats for my dog...the amount of drool leaking out of his mouth when i held it out in front of him. i tested this theory by trying different treats around the same time of day (to try not to be influenced by how hungry he was) and he consistently drooled more for the one kind of treat. haha.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I think you just get a feel for it over time. Sometimes you get a dog like Brutus who loves anything edible and somethings that aren't. I think if I put several treats in a line, he would eat them based on proximity.

·
Super Moderator
11,840 Posts
I have never seen any indication that either my hound or my lab have any particular preference between a particular brand of treat and, say, a brick. They will eat anything and everything in exactly the order they encounter it. The safest thing is to just get out of the way.

This is why dog food companies don't use hounds or labs for taste tests.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts