Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luna doesnt bark very often, she barks when people come in the yard and thats fine. But she also barks when the dog behind us barks and just when ever she hears other dogs barking. My question is, how do I train her to be quite when we tell her to? I tried saying "No!" but she wouldnt listen to that, I brought her in the house but she continues to bark in the house. I even tried making her sit and down with treats but they didnt distract her for long.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The way I did it, was the instant Atka (or any dog I had) WAS quiet, I would click and reward. This can happen when the dog takes a brief break in barking. Very quickly they start to take more bark breaks to get the click and food (at least with my dogs.. I understand some breeds are real barky and so it may not work with them all). When that starts to happen, I add the word "Quiet" or "hush" whatever cue I am using.

Saying NO doesn't work so well.. as the dog barking gets louder, we humans (being the vocal creatures we are) also tend to get louder.. and the dog thinks taht louder is what we all want. To quiet a dog we must go against our human nature and ask for quiet by calming/slowing our moves, lowering our voices and lengthening our words..

BTW How is Lilly doing? Dogs train different than cats! :D

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I prefer not to teach my dogs to bark and then quiet, as I found they then offered the barking behavior when trying to figure out what I wanted in different situation. I basically do the same thing Elana does, wait for a break in the barking, mark and reward that. When they are offering the "breaks" I add a command. With my dogs I can tell them "thanks, I've got it" when they are alarm barking and they quiet down (well, Lloyd and Allie, still need to teach Nash that one).

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
2+ on cueing and rewarding on breaks in the barking. My guys LOVE to bark at deer. Right now there are a ton of deer making their way around our place. When the dogs start to bark I go to them and wait until they pause for breath. As soon as they do I WHISPER "Hush" in a loud whisper. When they turn to me I tell them "yes" and give them a treat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts