Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post on food storage and it got me thinking about HeartGard Plus again. The directions state that it should be stored at a temperature range between 68F and 77F. This seems almost impossible to maintain. Can you please share how you store HeartGard and how many months out you stockpile?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
...If my house is colder than 68 or hotter than 77, there's something wrong. That's basically room temperature, though admittedly sometimes I like it a little cooler than 68 (more like 65). Fortunately, the cabinets aren't air conditioned (but are still inside a climate controlled house):p But seriously, it's basically just keep it out of cold and heat, at least for most homes with climate control in, at least, North America. My house sits at 72, give or take 2 degrees, year round.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well with four big dogs I go through a 12 pack in 3 months. But even when I had fewer dogs I would buy a 12 pack and just use it until it was gone as long as the expiration date was good. I can't say I've ever worried about the temperature.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
...If my house is colder than 68 or hotter than 77, there's something wrong. That's basically room temperature, though admittedly sometimes I like it a little cooler than 68 (more like 65). Fortunately, the cabinets aren't air conditioned (but are still inside a climate controlled house):p But seriously, it's basically just keep it out of cold and heat, at least for most homes with climate control in, at least, North America. My house sits at 72, give or take 2 degrees, year round.
Posts like this always make me excited about eventually being a real adult, where we can afford to keep the heat and air at a nice temp. Oh and for op I buy 3-6 mos at a time (I work at a shelter so I can buy it from there whenever I need it) and keep it in the dog drawer in my closet. From what our vet has said I wouldn't be concerned- forgot to bring in my bag after work one day with Greys hg, steamed in the car at probably 120 degrees for a few days, vet said it was still ok to use that one.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Posts like this always make me excited about eventually being a real adult, where we can afford to keep the heat and air at a nice temp.
I guess I've always lived a "spoiled" life. With the exception of power/equipment failures I've never been without heat or AC and hope to never be (at least in the area I live now). If it's a choice between heat/AC and some other expense in most cases I'd be leaning towards the heat/AC... I like to be comfortable. Plus heating and cooling my townhouse really isn't that huge an expense.

I buy 6 months of heartworm meds at a time and they sit on a shelf in my kitchen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me the ideal temperature is 62. I crank up the AC in the summer and not so hot in the winter.
I can't fathom why the HeartGard temp range is so narrow, and especially why the low side is as high as 68F. Because of the label, I've never purchased more than 3 months at a time, but I'm now considering purchasing 12 month quantities.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I would call the customer service number and question the temperature range. Chemical reactions are hastened by high temperatures. .. and slowed by cold. There are a few chemicals that are harmed by freezing, but very few suffer from being kept in the fridge. Both the active ingredients in HeartGuard (Pyrantel paomate and Ivermectin) are fine in the fridge.

My father, who was an excellent doctor, said taught me that storing meds in the fridge greatly increases the viable lifetime of most meds. My guess is that there is no testing behind the temperature recommendation given and someone was trying to convey that it CAN be stored at 'room temperature' . . . not that it shouldn't be kept cool.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's just room temperature I don't think a few degrees in either direction is significant. Probably just don't leave it sitting in your car in the middle of summer/winter.

I have many many months of Heartgard sitting in my bedroom closet.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Mine is in a dark corner of the cupboard with the flea meds. I keep 12 mos at a time, and my dog is on heartgard all year long, every month. I think I've been doing this for 15 years, if the monthly heartgard has been available that long.

We have lots of mosquitoes all year long, heartworms are a big problem, but we've never had any issues.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
My boxes of Tri Heart, aka generic Heartguard, have a temp range suggested of 59 to 86 degrees F. Which covers most residential inside temperatures in the US at least. So Heartguard should realistically be the same temp range as optimum.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I saw a post on food storage and it got me thinking about HeartGard Plus again. The directions state that it should be stored at a temperature range between 68F and 77F. This seems almost impossible to maintain. Can you please share how you store HeartGard and how many months out you stockpile?
I live in heartworm central..... I buy heartgard a year at a time for my dogs....

I never paid any attention to the temperature requirements...

I keep mine in the dog stuff closet.... Never had any issues.... That being said, I seriously doubt the temperature in the closet ever gets over or under that range unless the power goes out or something breaks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I scratch my head on how someone came up with the temperature range. I like to think there is some science behind those numbers and it's not someone pulling them out of thin air, but, I also wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were pulled out of thin air. It is a very odd narrow range.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I scratch my head on how someone came up with the temperature range. I like to think there is some science behind those numbers and it's not someone pulling them out of thin air, but, I also wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were pulled out of thin air. It is a very odd narrow range.
If it helps you.... When I have had pyrantal and Ivermectin on hand in liquid form.... I have always kept it in the Fridge...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to see what they say for TriHeart-Plus and it's a similar story, "Store at controlled room temperature of 59-86° F (15-30° C)". Very odd again.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
I decided to see what they say for TriHeart-Plus and it's a similar story, "Store at controlled room temperature of 59-86° F (15-30° C)". Very odd again.
15-30 degrees C as room temperature seems a common guideline for medicines, a broad enough range to cover almost any normal indoor temp but indicating that it doesn't need to be kept refrigerated and that it shouldn't be kept in a car where it would really heat up.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
maybe they give a limited temperature range because they don't want you to extend the expiration date by storing in cooler temperatures??? I'd say ~35 - 45F was a great temperature to store most meds. I store most meds in the fridge. I think it extends the expiry date by years. Happy to hear any reason to believe otherwise.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
The expiration date is just the date that the manufacturer guarantees the meds are at full strength basically, they have to put a date on it. Keeping in the fridge would probably help but even just a room temperature location like a cupboard is fine and most meds last years and years after their expiry dates anyways.

Harvard Health article on drug expiration dates

1 - 20 of 24 Posts