Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love love LOVE this time of year!! Crisp, fresh air...pretty colors and lots of interesting decorations on peoples lawns (which Bella doesn't find amusing at all)!

But the thing I enjoy most is homemade pumpkin seeds! Woo Hoo!!

Carved my pumpkin today - an adorable portrait of Bella Boo! - and have the seeds bathing in a nice cool bowl of salt water...regular and garlic salt!! Yummy!

I let the seeds soak in their bath over-night and will drain and roast 'em tomorrow. I can't wait!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for pumpkin seed recipes?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I put pumpkin guts in a gallon baggy, massage them until guts are liquid, 20min or so. Rinse in collanders, spread out to dry a bit, cover w salt, roast in oven 350f, every 5-10 min stir them around until as dark as you want them. I like mine dark & use cookie sheet or pizza pan.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i make mine very similar to luv2byte, i put them on a baking sheet and spread them out and put salt on them. then i cook them on a little bit of a lower temp, usually 300, until they are golden brown, stirring them around once.

i think i will have to try the soaking in salt water, though! that sounds great :)

that pumpkin is too darn cute! :D

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Haven't gotten my pumpkin yet and the garden only yielded one tiny one this year. :) I do however soak my pumpkin seeds overnight in a saturated solution of salt water. Then the next day, I drain them, put them on a lightly buttered baking sheet, cover them really well with salt and bake on 350 degrees, turning them every now and then until they are golden brown. I like them 'Crunchy!" :) I can hardly wait to get my pumpkin next weekend! Yum-Yum!

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the carved pumpkin.......it is AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I feel ashamed that I live in NH and have never roasted pumpkin seeds! I am going to try this!

Do you eat the whole seed? For someone who has never done it before, what would be the best way to go about it? How big a pumpkin do I need?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
+two, you can crack open the seeds and just eat the insides, but that's way more trouble than it's worth. The whole thing is edible and delicious. You can use any size pumpkin...generally, the bigger the squash, the more seeds inside. Scoop everything out and pick through the much to get the seeds. Toss them in a colander and run some water over them until they aren't slimy anymore. I boil mine in salt water for about ten minutes, then lay them out in a single layer to dry overnight. The next night, when I'm ready to roast, I crush some garlic into some olive oil and put it in a Ziplock baggy with the seeds. Toss everything around until the seeds are well coated, then put them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. I think I roasted them for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees this year and it seemed to work well. Make sure you move them around a little halfway through and check your first batch every few minutes so they don't get darker than you want them.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
yum! your way sounds good too! i didn't carve our pumpkin last year, it just sat there, i was just too busy. this year i will HAVE to make time to carve one since all this toasted seed talk is making me crave them!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I don't like them sweet, but you can go the sweet route, too. Instead of olive oil, put a little melted butter in your Ziplock along with some cinnamon, sugar, and whatever other sweet spices you like (nutmeg? ginger?)

I guess you could really put whatever you wanted on them, when it comes right down to it. Oooh, maybe some olive oil and curry powder? Or some salt and cayenne pepper for spicy seeds? Or maybe some lime juice and chile powder?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I made some for the first time yesterday. Just rinsed all the slime off, spread them out on a cookie sheet to dry out a bit (the oven was occupied by the pie we turned the rest of the pumpkin into). Sprinkled a bit of sea salt & garlic salt and baked at 300 (I think) for 10 minutes, moved 'em around and tossed them in for another 10. By that point my kids were restless and wanting to go to the playground so I pulled them out. Kids & I enjoyed them

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Oo.. so many good ideas! I ran down to the local farm stand and picked up a pumpkin. The ladies there told me its the best for seed roasting because the seeds don't have a covering over them so you can eat the whole thing? I forget what the kind is, something crazy and exotic sounding. The pumpkin has greens, oranges and yellows on the skin and is rather pretty.

I do enjoy sweet, but I think i am going to try the 'original' recipe. Just some olive oil and salt. mmm... salt.

The rest of the pumpkin I want to make up into cookies for the Boys as well as an extra topper for their kibble. Anyone know how I should prepare it for them? Do I have to cook it or can I give it to them raw?

Add:

So its almost 1am and I have been going Betty Crocker on my kitchen. Decided to make some pumpkin seeds, pureed pumpkin as kibble topping and pumpkin dog treats. Everything was a hit! I love love love the seeds and can't wait to try other recipes (back to the farm stand for me). I also discovered that Tyler is nuts about pumpkin! He ate it up like it was filet mignon! So excited I found a healthy treat he gets excited about.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good job, Martha! LOL =)~

If you find out the name of that exotic pumpkin, let us know!

I never thought of making dog treats out of the pumpkin innards (me baking a pie would be a dangerous joke...) Maybe next time.
Bella used to like raw pumpkin, she could have cared less this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts