Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that many of you have multiple dogs. I've only had Carmie for a month so I'm not there yet, but how did you know it was time for another dog?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well, if you're making the decision to get another dog, I feel like it should be when your first dog is settled in, when the two of you have a good relationship. When training it down, and you're in a financial and mental state to take one another dog. When you feel like you can handle the both of them without huge amounts of stress, then it's time.

Sometimes they fall into your lap though. My Chihuahua was a gift, not something I was expecting. I came into a few other dogs after him, but when he was 3 My retriever had pups and we ended up keeping him. Then, just a few months after he was born, we lost him. :\ It tore me apart, and I wasn't expecting another dog. Then my sibe fell into my lap. Then a year later, I found Diesel in his trash pile. I didn't mean to keep him, but it happened.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
When you can afford it and have the time. Also consider the dynamics between the dogs.

People get 2nd or 3rd dogs for various reasons. I'm sure when its time varies for the individual.

I prefer to raise 2 at a time myself.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
When you feel ready I guess.

I got Obi only 6 weeks after I got Pixie. It was overwhelming, but I managed. If I had to do it again I would have waited longer, but I can't regret getting Obi because he's awesome.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Don't know when, but I do know when not to and that's now. If possible present dog as stated above somewhere let new dog settle in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The most we have had at one time is 3 dogs and a whole mess of cats. But I'm older now, disabled, so one dog is all I can handle at one time anymore. Wish I could turn back the clock about 20 yrs so I could have at least one more. I think Sadie could use a playmate. (kitty isnt much of a challange-- lol)

Money is an issue too. And space.
think about it before you do it.. my advice for what its worth-- :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Having two brother littermates, one large dog ( two rescues was a decision due to the death of my little heart dog) ... I would say the first thing to take very seriously into consideration is finances. I spent over $5000 in one and one half months trying to save my little Leeo's life. All it takes is one ill dog and you can spend a small fortune .... quickly.

I am retired and can spend 24/7 with my dogs ... and that is a wonderful feeling to not have to divide your time between work and their needs. When I worked the most I ever owned was two dogs at one time ...

IMHO it is a personal decision ... if you have the time and the financial means and the proper place and the heart ... the rest should fall into place. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not ready yet at all. I was really just curious as to what made you guys decide to get another--and another--dog, and how did you decide it was time? At some time in the distant future i'd like to get another dog, which suprised me b/c I never thought I'd want more than one. So I was curious as to what made you guys decide.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
We are now seriously considering rescuing a second dog. The reasons we feel it is time now include having significant savings in case of emergency and steady income with excess earnings that can be put towards the extra food/toys/vet care that comes with a second dog. Our first dog is turning one year old tomorrow and we have raised him from 10 weeks old. He is doing excellent with training and has grown into a great dog. My partner and I can each take a dog to work so they can be with us all day and not be left at home and get lots of socialization with people and other dogs. Our first dog loves other dogs and we feel he would really enjoy a playmate of similar energy level to him. Most of all we are just emotionally and mentally ready for another dog now as we have survived raising a puppy we are looking for an older (2-3 years) compatible dog to complete our family.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
We waited a year to make the decision to get another dog. We did alot of researched, talked with our trainer as well as the ladies at doggy daycare (majority of them are breeders or professional exhibitors, not just there for a job). All said wait a year. It was time for us to know how we were as dog people, give Chloe time to grow up a bit & finish her obedience training & for us to bind with her. I'm glad we waited the year.

I started off by going to the humane society, see if any pulled at my heartstrings & if I felt like I truely wanted another dog or just liked the idea of it. After a month of wondering & deciding, I then mentioned it to hubby that we were at our year mark, he said he was also thinking about it too. We decided to start our search. I knew he had been thinking of it since he had recently texted a photo of a dog (Aussie) that showed up on the work site, lived nearby. He was totally into the look of the dog & loved its eyes/face. We sat down looking at breeds, I didn't want another eskie because Chloe really is the perfect dog I didn't want to compare the new pup to her. We knew we wanted same size. We looked at many breeds, talked about compatible traits to Chloe as well as what we would like. We settled on a herding breed, I was wanting to train a different breed type as well as it was a good choice to go with Chloe - she loves loves loves to be chased. After some searching hubby found "mini Aussies". I already had been reading on them, I knew that as soon as he saw the smaller size (now akc calls them 'mini American shepherds) he would say that was the one. We then looked for breeders in our area. We decided hubby would pick the puppy but with my input, due to Chloe being so strongly bonded to me. He held a couple puppies, we almost were going to go to another breeder but then he held Skyler. I was across the kennel playing with an older pup the breeder was keeping for showing. I looked up just as I saw Sam's shoulders sag & he had a sweet look on his face, Sklyer nuzzled into his neck. Yup, hubby was hooked. 4weeks later he came home...and he still nizzles hubby's neck on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
We just recently added our second dog in February. We waited until Luke (first dog) was 2 years old. Why? Because after I got him a good friend told me don't get another one til he's 2. lol There were lots of other things involved in the decision. I had been working at a horse farm and Luke was able to come to work with me every day and play with the farm dogs all day and was able to come to shows with me. We never really thought too much about getting a second dog at that point. Then I had a big career change and started working 8-5 in an office. Luke was staying home with my husband (who works from home) and he was constantly telling me how mopey and bored Luke was. So we started looking into daycare and other options then the thoughts of a second dog started coming up.

We did a lot of weighing pros and cons and the cons just kept getting fewer, but it took awhile for me to really make the decision, probably about 3 months. We had steady income and had been building our savings, husband worked from home, we didn't have plans for kids anytime in the near future and don't do much traveling where the dogs can't come with us. So we basically started looking for a dog that would match well with Luke. We decided on looking for a little bit older puppy (4 months minimum) to hopefully minimize some of the potty training stresses (being able to hold it longer). We ended up at the local humane society one night, picked 2 puppies that we really liked, then introduced them to Luke and let me pick basically. And we ended up with Zoey, who was 5 months old and labeled a plott hound mix. I had serious "OMG what did we do, why did we get another dog, we can't do this" for about a week (because that's how I am) and now have no regrets. Zoey's great, Luke is much happier with having her around and we are all happy.

I do think its a case of "you'll know when you're ready" It's individual for every situation. I didn't like that answer when I was trying to decide. I wanted facts and reasons and a check-list. But you just have to look at your situation and decide and remember that it's a long-term decision.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Really it's never been a huge decision for us. We want another dog, have the time and money for one, we go get another dog. I am planning for another dog in about 2 years because I want a very specific kind of dog for very specific purposes. If it weren't for that I'd be perfectly content where I am right now.

But then again, all but one year of my life we've had more than one dog. I hated having only one dog, it was so strange to me. My family has always fluctuated between 2 and 6 dogs in the house.

I think my ideal will end up at two to three but I'm okay with four for a while since two of them will be 10+ year old papillons. They're both really easy. But after they go, I just want a big dog and a papillon at a time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts