Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adopting a second dog. Those of you with multiple dogs: how do you know if you are ready for two (or more)? And how did you know when you found the right dog?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I am not sure how to answer this exactly. I think I have had multiple dogs for so long I don't remember what it is like to only have one. I think when you meet that dog that is a "I can't live without him/her" you just know it is time. :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have never gotten a dog because it was "meant to be". I have gotten dogs and have just fallen for them after I got them home. The same with puppies and I must say it seems that I take longer to get that bond with a puppy than with an adult dog, but then again I'm wierd that way lol.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well, I think you obviously have to look at your life objectively to decide if this would be a good time (monetarily, emotionally, etc.) to bring another dog into your home.

Then, you need to take a good look at your current dog and decide what breed/size/personality type your new dog needs to be. If you have a very laid back pup, it's probably not a great idea to bring in a very hyper-active dog. For instance, we knew exactly the kind of dog that Ranger would accept (about his same size, playful but not pushy, female).

Then I would just start looking at reputable breeders or rescues for that particular type of dog. Ask lots of questions before you adopt and make sure your current dog has a chance to meet the newcomer.

With us, our 2nd dog found us. We had talked about possibly adopting another dog in a year or so. But that's not the way it worked out. Mayzie crawled into my lap at an adoption fair (which we just happened upon), looked up at me and basically said, "I'm yours." And that was that. :D Luckily, she fit all the criteria above!

But honestly I don't think it HAS to happen the way it did with us and Mayzie. I think as long as you find a dog that you know will fit in well with your family...the love will come. That's the way it happened when we adopted Ranger. We didn't even meet him before we adopted him but we asked LOTS of questions and knew he was the right dog for us. And we just couldn't love that guy more!

Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know when I adopted roscoe (RIP) he actually choose me. He climbed the gate of his kennel slipped out of the building and came straight to me, when I remember that day (this is going to sound VERY cheesy) we actually looked at each other and there was this immediate connection, needless to say I adopted him the next day and he turned out to be the best dog I've ever owned.

Jesse ended up being our second dog and the same thing kind of happened only it was with my mum, who i was still living with at the time, and we brought Rozy up to meet him and they got on great so we adopted him. I think you just kind of know when you've came across the right dog.

As for knowing when, again this will sound cheesy but its true, you look at your pack, or lack there of, and see the other dog/dogs, or you see where they could be. Of coarse to be practical, you need to look at your life and see where you stand, can you afford to feed another dog, take him to the vet, groomer etc.

Ok you have permission to laugh all you want at this... :p
Best of Luck!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I usually know for sure I was ready for a dog and that I picked the right one a couple months after I have him/her :p

Do your research, figure out what you can and cannot live with or without, but ultimately it's kind of a gut feeling. And after the arrival it's like any relationship...it only works if you work at it :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
If I didn't foster, I'd probably have at least 5 dogs by now, but alas, I'll help the lost ones get into their new lives before getting two more. We got our second dog because we were moving across the state and wanted another one in our home. I spent months looking for the right doxie and after a few rescue adoptions fell through/people flaked, I assumed it wasn't meant to be. A few months later I go to donate food to the shelter we got Jack McCoy from, and bam. Miniature dachshund, just dropped off that day.

We have so many because we're home bodies. I have no interest in traveling, my schedule allows me to have the time to exercise and work with them, we're monetarily secure, and own our own home. Oh yeah, I love dogs. :D

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
When we decided we wanted another dog we went back to Toby's breeder. We love Toby and we really like the breeder, so that was a nobrainer. We took Toby with us when we went to see the pup. Essentially, we left it up to him. If they got along, then we'd take the puppy. If they didn't then we wouldn't. We spent a few hours there letting them get to know each other. Toby wasn't terribly interested. But when the puppy jumped up and licked some cookie out of Toby's mouth and Toby didn't do anything, we knew it would be OK.

Cameron has turned out to be the perfect counterpart to Toby. He's a goofball where Toby is serious. He's energetic where Toby is lazy. They're like brothers. We love them both dearly.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
(this is going to sound VERY cheesy) we actually looked at each other and there was this immediate connection
This is exactly the way it was with my dog, Eddie. He came to me as a stray puppy. The second I set my eyes on him, it was like a "click" feeling, like a puzzle piece snapping into place...I don't know how else to describe it. I knew that he was meant to be my dog. It's cheesy but that is the way it was. :eek: From that point on, I would have fought tooth and nail to keep him. It was a very strong feeling.

With Uallis is was a little bit of the same feeling but somewhat different. When I was at the breeder house playing with all the pups, my eye just caught on Uallis and I just found myself watching him most of the time.

When I was around 18, I went to the shelter to get a new puppy. It was the same thing with that puppy as it was with Uallis. My eye just found that puppy and I couldn't take my eye away from her. No matter how many other puppies I looked at, my eye would just wander back over to her.

I don't know, you just KNOW when you have found the dog that is right for you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think by fate this time.

Recently, I had a conversation with a friend who now has 2nd thoughts about her dog. She asked me why I loved Ilya so much because he has a lot of issues for a dog. Compared to Lola, he certainly does since we adopted him.... heartworms, separation anxiety, IBS, not extremely friendly to new dogs or people, needs to be underfoot and a lot of exercise. If those things were listed on his information sheet at the shelter, I doubt I would adopt him because I would think I didn't have the time to deal with so many concerns.

For some reason, perhaps by the grace of someone above, everything worked out including the extra time I needed to train him to have the run of the living room when we are gone (he does not like his crate with the door shut). He has been quite obedient unless he's to nervous. He has fustrated both my sons with training because of his very short stubborn attention span that is the least food motivated.

He keeps me laughing everyday with the silly things he does, knows when I need a hug, stays at the foot of my bed when I'm scared, and he reminds me to enjoy the simple things in life. My son told me he whines whenever I leave and pouts.

Perhaps we needed each other and it was meant to be... because out of all the dogs I've had in the past, he is definitely the one I'm most fond of.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I accepted Ruby sight unseen!! :eek:

Ruby was a dog who needed a home -- and she met the basic criteria that I had been looking for (moreso than I thought when I met her!!), so I figured that it was fate for both of us.

It was definitely interesting when I first met her and brought her home -- she had wire fur, for instance, which I had not known. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
When we got Scooby we went looking at shelters for a dog. Hubby and I saw a 6 month old pup we liked, but he wasn't ready for adoption for another few days. We planned on going back for him. The girls were upset at first, they really wanted a*puppy* (they were 5 and 3 at the time) We stopped quite by accident at 1 more shelter and we found a litter of pups there. We took Scooby home that day. He has been just the best dog for the past 10 year. He is one that all our friends say they would get a dog if they could get one like him!!
With our collie my daughter (the then 3 year old who is now 13!!) picked the breed and we started our breeder research. We went to a show, starting talking to two women who were standing next to an ex pen of smooth collies.
We talked a long time, my daughter played with a tri male, one handed me her card. It so happened she was one of the breeders we looked at online. I went home emailed her thanking her for the time we spent with her. In the mean time I also had made other contacts with dog show people I knew from when I used to show years ago, including a woman who I went to obed lessons with Scooby. She had smooths also. Everyone I spoke/emailed with all sent me to our breeder. After many emails she offered the tri male my daughter had played with to is after she finished him.
Funny thing, my daughter had non stopped talked about the tri male. We had no idea at the time that the breeder was considering selling him.
Jett came home to us right after he finished.. Thanksgiving Weekend last year.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I know exactly what you mean fairdogmother and downm-
My Teebone came to me from a breeder. When the litter was about 3 weeks old I went to see them. The puppies of course were all cute and were lumbering around like little drunks. They all came up to me and then tumbled away-- except one. He came up to me looked at me and climbed up on my lap and then up to my neck where he snuggled in and went to sleep. I knew right then that he was the one. The breeder laughed saying that he was a puppy he liked everyone but I insisted that he chose me.
5 weeks later I took him home. He is now four years old and is the sweetest, most loyal, most loving dog I have ever had. So yes I believe that sometimes YOU JUST KNOW

(click to enlarge)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Well besides having your current dog and possible new dog meeting, to see how they get along with each other before actually getting a new one.....to answer your question:

How do you know when a dog is meant for you?
When you no longer have to ask yourself that question.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian
How do you know when a dog is meant for you?

When you no longer have to ask yourself that question.
Ha! That's probably true.

I took Cupid to meet another dog yesterday. She was very sweet, and they seemed to get along at first. But I just couldn't convince myself it was right. At the end of the visit, she suddenly got very growly with Cu, who was just sitting peacefully next to me, so I'm not sure why it happened. Anyway, I decided it was a no go.

I did check the shelter later--they are very good about updating their site daily. It looks like she was adopted later in the day by someone else. I was a little sad but also glad she found a place. I hope she does well there.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your feedback. I'm thinking it's not the best time for me to add a second dog, but if I change my mind, I can look back on what you've said. It will help, I'm sure. Thanks, all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts