Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not ready to change anything anytime soon because she is only 5 months, we've had her for a little over 2 months. The first 2 weeks she had a few accidents in the house and crate due to being scared. This past wknd she was sick and when I wasn't watching her went to the bedroom to poop. Outside of that we are on a strick schedule with her and watch her like a hawk. Only a few times she has gone by the door to tell us. We are always on a schedule with her but those few times she needed to go before her routine time we always had to bring her out. I guess I felt like this weekend one incident was a set back but I hope not. I would like for her to signal more so that is why I was curious when people say my dog is house trained..how do you really know?
We have an open area in the living room where we always hang out so she knows we are always watching her but like this wknd, when we didn't have the gate up, she snuck to the bedroom oh well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive read that they are not fully toilet trained until about 6 months but each dog is different and you just have to understand your own dog really in my opinion, ive got a 11 week old dobermann puppy who was not toilet trained at all but used to have newspaper on the floor where she was so we used paper and she would use it most of the time, now she asks to go in the garden if your in the kitchen she just stands at the door like our older dog, she seems to prefer going in the garden to the house but is known at night to pee on anything on the floor and seeks out her blankets over the newspaper, she is only 11 weeks though so still learning and im not bothered by the night time accidents as she seems to have go it during the day and if she cant get out in the garden she only goes in the kitchen on or very near to the paper, our biggest problem is her peeing on the living room floor when she plays with our older dog but we are going to limit how much they play so hopefully this will start to stop.

I think in the first few months up to about 12 months you have to expect an accident here and there :D

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I considered Hamilton housebroken when he started asking every time he needed to go out (in between our regularly scheduled bathroom breaks), and stopped having accidents in the house.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I think I consider house-training to consist of four parts: knowing he has to go, being able to control when he goes, wanting to go outside and not inside (important), and asking to go outside. Young pups may not know and cannot yet control when. Dogs need to be taught where to go, and owners need to learn when the dog is asking (or train the dog how to ask).

I go with stranger23 that 6 mos is the earliest, and some dogs need longer. Being sick doesn't really count, b/c the dog may not have control.

You can provide the guidance so that a dog will look at the back door, scratch or ring bells on the door, come find you and stare, whine, and finally bark obscenities at you when he wants to go outside to pee, poop, or throw-up. In addition, when he has to pee, he will pee in the first 30 seconds or so, then sniff for the best place to poop, usually in an isolated bathroom area. When he has to throw-up, he may dawdle as he finds the best grass to use as an emetic. Not sure if you can train a dog to pee and throw-up in the same place that he poops. .... And, if it's a small dog, you might train them to use a doggy litter box!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I was not fully convinced Biscuit was housebroken until we were able to bring her to other people's houses without her trying to sneak off and have an accident. At that point, I knew that she had generalized the "inside vs. outside" concept and understood that "outside" is the bathroom.

I don't think I've ever had a dog who considered barfing to be an outdoor activity!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts