Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued an older dog a few years ago and he started really slowing down about 6-9 months ago. We're at a point where it is hard for him to walk 1/4 of a mile, he has been vomiting and/or has diarrhea a lot, and the bigger thing is he has lost a lot of weight. He is really skinny and that seemed to come on fairly quick imo. He lost 10 lbs. in a 6 month period.

He's never been an "animated" dog. He pretty much has the same expression all of the time, except when he would go outside or run. Then he would smile! His back legs give out on linoleum and even sometimes during the short walks, he seems like his hind legs bother him. And even now, that dog smile is no longer there for the walks. And that concerns me.

He's been to the vet twice in the last 6 months. He's had blood work about 4 months ago which didn't result in anything except his liver levels were slightly high. He went to the vet a week ago and they didn't seem to have any concerns because he is an aging dog. But they did try to sell me stuff. I used to love this vet but now I can't tell if they are just prolonging his life for his/my benefit or for theirs.

The last few days I've been constantly cleaning vomit or diarrhea. I'm tired. And my pup just looks tired and sad too. But before this even, I'd been concerned his life was coming to an end.

Again, tired, scared to make the wrong decision for him and I'm rambling. I just don't know if it is time to let him go. I don't want him to be in pain (not sure if he is or not). How do you make that decision?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took him to the vet this morning and saw a different doctor. This vet said she saw us in the hall and her thought was that he has cancer. She examined him and told me a number of things that could be happening. Whether I wanted to run any tests, etc. She also said regardless, she didn't think he would live much longer (at best a month) based on his condition looking back from 1 year, to 6 mos, to 3 mos and even the week. He had lost 4 more pounds. She also talked about quality of life and asked how he acted at home.

So, I was relieved that she walked me through everything but sadly, the outcome is what I was feeling in my gut for the past month.

I knew my heart would break when his time came, but it hit me even harder than I thought. It's been a really long day.

Missing him.

IMG_20170627_175109.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss :( He was a very beautiful dog, he looks like a very sweet oldie. Honestly, I don't think anyone ever truly knows "when it is time". People often say "you will just know" and I do not find that to be true. Even if deep down you know your dog was suffering and would probably rather not attempt to struggle through another day, you will almost always question if you made the right decision or not. Always second guessing, what if he still wanted to fight through it? what if he was just having an off day? And that is perfectly normal. Sometimes it just feels like their time should never be up so we tend to make ourselves feel guilty about letting them go. I think the guilt will last much longer though if we let them silently suffer because we are not ready to say goodbye

Feel free to talk about him here if you like, anything about him. Whatever helps you through it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts