Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Tomorrow Im going to look at a possible new companion for my cat TJ. She is very much a princess kitty, so I want to make sure if I bring the cat home, that they both adjust well.

How do you recommend introducing them? I remember when I worked at the shelter, someone there said to keep the new kitty in a separate room for a day or two while they get used to each others scent.

Is that the best way?

Thanks
Ashley

·
Registered
472 Posts
What is generally good, is to have your new cat in the carrier, in the middle of a room and let your present cat sniff it and get to know the new scent. Then, like the person at the shelter said, keep the new kitty in her own room with food, water, litterbox, etc, and let her adjust to the new environment. To encourage the cats to get used to each other's scents, take a sock and rub it with your new cat's scent and give it to the current cat, and vice versa. Do this on a daily basis until both cats become indifferent to the foreign scent without hissing or growling at it. Gradually allow increased contact, always making sure that there are elevated, safe areas for both cats to retreat to if they are overwhelmed.

It is also a good idea to invest in a Feliway diffuser for each room that the cats are frequently in. Not only will it help them adjust to one another, it will help your new cat adjust to her new environment. It is also recommended to get a cat of the opposite gender to your current cat.

Two female cats generally will not get along as well as a male and a female pair.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I got Thunder in August, I kept him in the bathroom for a week. Until all his bloodwork came back negative for FeLV and FIV, I knew he wasn't sick, and until I new he didn't have any parasites. But he was a stray so I had to be 100% sure before I introduced him to my other 4 cats.

I highly recommend getting the bloodwork done for any new cat coming into a house, no matter where its coming from.

But anyways, when the week was up. I just let him out made sure to watch them all. Make sure that it was normal fighting (no blood), made sure they weren't overly stressed.

There will be possible hissing and/or growling...Possible "attacks". Just make sure it doesn't get out of control and that they don't hurt each other. Other then that, let them try to get used to each other on their own. They'll find out where they all stand.

Thunder learned that if he bit the ferrets, the ferrets would bight back harder...If Thunder went after Midnight, Midnight would put him in his place...If he chased Mischief she would scream. If he chased Lucky and Lightning they would play with him.

It might take them a while to get along, it took Mischief a year to get along with Storm when she was here, but after that they got along fine.

Some cats just get along from the start. How old is TJ?

Hope this makes sense :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some cats also just take a long time to adjust. We rescued 4 kittens in June and my oldest cat Bear took about 2 months to get used to them, but my other cat Bitty took almost 6 months before she got used to them. Sometimes it will take a lot of time, but don't give up because they will usually always tolerate the other one even if they don't "like" them.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
When I got Gus as a kitten, my other cat Max took to him right away and we had no issues whatsoever. However, when I found my late cat Fred as a stray...Gus HATED him and would frequently try to start fights. Max, on the other hand, could have cared less...he didn't pay any attention to Fred at all.
I didn't really do anything to attempt to introduce them to each other...just supervision when they were together because of the fights. If Gus would start a fight, I'd just break it up. Right before I lost Fred, he and Gus seemed to come to somewhat of an understanding and ignored each other but it was at least 2 years in the making...:rolleyes:

I think in my case it is just my cats personalities. Max seems to be able to adjust to change better. However, Gus HATES change of any sort and even gets freaked out if there is even, for example, something laying on the floor that wasn't there before. He's really skittish and jumpy.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Whenever a new cat shows up (aaaggghhh!), I keep him/her in the spare bathroom until the cat has been tested for FeLV/FIV and vaccinated (and spayed/neutered, if over 3-4 months old). Then I let him/her out for a little while, keeping watch with a spray bottle to break up any fights. I don't interfere unless there's actual physical fighting; they can growl and howl all they want. I do this for a week or so, then if things are going well, I'll allow the cat to stay out of the bathroom for a longer period. All 10 of my cats tolerate each other, even if they aren't best buddies.

I find female/female introductions to be most difficult. Neutered males usually get along well enough to be pals, and male/female pairs usually develop a nice relationship. But those girls.....talk about catfights! :p

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
When I introduce cats I keep them seperated for a week or two, and alternate the spaces. Like I will keep one in the bedroom for 1 days, the other in the rest of the house. Then switch them the next day, and back and forth. That way they get to smell each other for awhile prior to actually having to meet. I also will rub them both down with the same towel every day, so they start to smell more and more like each other. When I do finally let them meet, I spray them both down with cat appeasement pheremone spray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts