Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as we were heading down the driveway after Dandi's walk someone stopped us, proceeded to say he was a 'dog trainer' and started talking about Dandi. That's all fine and dandy, except he wasn't exactly a nice looking fellow. Generally I don't judge on appearances, but I didn't like him.

Anyway, he asked me to give him my dog's leash, which I didn't. Then proceeded to alpha roll her and ask her whose boss because she was jumping on him. She's been doing a lot better with jumping, and will sit when I tell her to, but I didn't exactly have the chance between him grabbing for her leash and grabbing her neck and rolling her over.

Alpha rolling Dandi makes her panic. She bit him and chewed on him, but it wasn't hard enough for him to realize she was telling him to back off. She was clearly uncomfortable with the situation but I just don't know what to do with things like this. I honestly thought he was going to steal my dog at one point. Luckily my mum was with me, though.

So I pulled Dandi away from him and while she was sitting nicely at my side, confused and upset, he was telling us how difficult she was going to be to train and how much energy she had.

So.. what do I do in a situation like this? Should I just be rude and tell him to go away? Or is there a nicer way to handle it?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I would pull out my cell phone and announce that I am calling for an ambulance, and if the jerk isn't on his way by the time I get through with the call, he'll be leaving in it. Subtlety is not my best thing.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Wow, I would have at the very least been yelling and screaming at anyone who put their hands on my dog without my permission. Your poor dog probably thought someone was trying to kill her and desperately wanting someone to step in and help. My dogs know they can count on me to protect them from stupid people. If it requires me being rude then I will be rude. I always start off nicely, and if they don't listen I walk away or tell them to stop whatever they are doing. I will step between them and my dog(s) if I have to do so to get the point across.

For less extreme cases where people are just being stupid, like petting the dog when it jumps when you had asked them not to usually simple reminding them "I am trying to teach him/her not to jump so please do not pet her right now". Usually works. But for something like what you posted, I would not worry about being nice.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
In a situation where someone is trying to take control of my dog without my permission I would be as rude as necessary to get my dog the heck away from that person. Especially if they are trying to alpha roll my dog! This is wrong on so many levels.

If you have trouble telling people like this off, just lead your dog away from the person (run if you have to) and say, "I'm sorry, she bites." Many ruder things come to mind and I would say all of them as loudly as I could if this happened to me and my dog, but I don't want to offend anyone on the forum with my swearing, so I'll leave it at that.

Sheesh!!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Depends.. people often react aggressively against ignorance for unknown reason, it is a very wrong thing to do.

However, this was a question of respect to something it is yours, and something that shouldn't be handled by ANYBODY other than you, and people you trust.

Sure, ignorance was present, but ignorance is not a pretext to act rude against someone.. ignorance exists because we need it.

Now... if he did harm your dog, thats a different story, but in the end, just walk away without saying a word.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You take the John Wayne approach....."I don't do those things to other men (their dogs) and I don't allow others to do those things to me" (my dog).

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Just as we were heading down the driveway after Dandi's walk someone stopped us, proceeded to say he was a 'dog trainer' and started talking about Dandi. That's all fine and dandy, except he wasn't exactly a nice looking fellow. Generally I don't judge on appearances, but I didn't like him.

Anyway, he asked me to give him my dog's leash, which I didn't. Then proceeded to alpha roll her and ask her whose boss because she was jumping on him. She's been doing a lot better with jumping, and will sit when I tell her to, but I didn't exactly have the chance between him grabbing for her leash and grabbing her neck and rolling her over.

Alpha rolling Dandi makes her panic. She bit him and chewed on him, but it wasn't hard enough for him to realize she was telling him to back off. She was clearly uncomfortable with the situation but I just don't know what to do with things like this. I honestly thought he was going to steal my dog at one point. Luckily my mum was with me, though.

So I pulled Dandi away from him and while she was sitting nicely at my side, confused and upset, he was telling us how difficult she was going to be to train and how much energy she had.

So.. what do I do in a situation like this? Should I just be rude and tell him to go away? Or is there a nicer way to handle it?
I would not be worried about being rude in such a situation. If that happened to me, I would be more worried if my wife could draw up the bail money on a weekend.

The entire "alpha roll" thing is really out of hand. I would have never given him my dogs leash, told him where to go, and that he needs to go back to watching Cesar re runs.

In any case he would not have alpha rolled either of my dogs. Buc would have backed away and been stubborn. Merlin would have nailed him. IT would not have been pretty....

In all seriousness, I would have been rude and not let him anywhere near my dogs and gotten out of the situation asap.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I've had people do all sorts of weird things to my dogs, one lady even grabbed Uallis's testicles and proceeded to tell me that he was still "immature"...:eek: I thought it was weird but it was basically harmless so I didn't say anything really. However, if someone tried to take my dogs leash away from me, then that is a different ballgame...I'd NEVER in a million years let a stranger hold my dogs leash...EVER. They'd have to wrestle it from me...literally. No one holds their leash but me or my boyfriend...period. So if they tried to take it from me, all bets of politeness is off.

If they tried to alpha roll my dogs...I'd tell them that I don't use that method to train my dogs and to please not do it...if they persisted I'd just walk away.

In general, I don't like to talk to people who think that they know everything about my dogs right off...or where they try to tell me how to train my dogs...I refuse to talk to them for any length of time, normally making an excuse or just walking away from them. Thankfully, not many people act that way towards me...Uallis's looks keep people from messing with him in a negative way for the most part.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Somewhere between citronella being sprayed in his eyes and my Don Knotts Karate chops is how I would have handled it. It depends a lot on the perceived threat, but, if someone is manhandling my dog without permission, that's bad news for them. I'm not sure that's the best way to handle this situation though. If I could get away with walking away, I'd say nothing and do that. 'Nice' is something deserved, and rude may incite, so removing myself from the situation and saying nothing may be best. *shrug*

·
Registered
117 Posts
If a total stranger came up and started talking to me about my dog, asked for the leash, and then proceeded to attempt to touch my dog in any way, ESPECIALLY an alpha roll, I would get away as quickly as possible, telling them to stop very firmly. If necessary I would pull out my cell phone and tell the person I was calling the police. I would not worry about being "rude."

And I'm a really nice person. I do not make a practice of being rude to anyone, but this would be a special situation.

As for not acting aggressively toward "ignorance" I have to disagree. It may well have been ignorance; it may have been arrogance. It may have been craziness. The point is, I'm not reacting aggressively toward the ignorance, I am protecting my dog first, and the stranger second, because IF my dog then bit them, they would be hurt, and my dog might be taken from me. Besides, offering unsolicited advice of that nature to people you don't know, and who don't know you, is rude in itself.

You never know the intentions of strangers these days. You can't put 'not wanting to be rude' ahead of your own and your dog's safety.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really not good with situations like this. He went from talking about how rewards were good, to asking if he could 'see' her (I figured he meant pet her) to having her on the ground with his hands around her throat and holding her leash (which I never let go of). Between then and pulling her away my head was kinda like :eek:

If you have trouble telling people like this off, just lead your dog away from the person (run if you have to) and say, "I'm sorry, she bites."
^I like that idea. I think if that ever happens again I'll use it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I'm really not good with situations like this. He went from talking about how rewards were good, to asking if he could 'see' her (I figured he meant pet her) to having her on the ground with his hands around her throat and holding her leash (which I never let go of). Between then and pulling her away my head was kinda like :eek:
I understand where your coming from...I DO NOT like confrontation and try to avoid it at all costs...plus if everything happened really fast and you weren't prepared for it...then I can see where your coming from.

However, if someone messes with my dogs in any way...I become a "different" person so to speak...lol...I'm not afraid to speak my mind in that regard. I would never be comfortable with someone having their hands on my dogs leash...I'm paranoid...lol Overall, you can just use this as a learning experience so you'll know how to react if there is a "next time". If someone makes you uncomfortable just saying "Sorry, my dog isn't good with strangers..." and hot footing it out of there...would probably work wonders and I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sometimes things like this, although they happen in real time, seem to happen so fast that you can't even truly comprehend that it is happening. After the fact you sit there and think: why in the world did I just allow that to happen???

I am guilty of giving people the benefit of the doubt and being 'nice' in times when I likely should have been more firm, however, next time something similar happens (if ever--this is very bizarre) you will be more ready and think more clearly.

It it easy to comment after the fact to a nicely detailed story like yours, but when it is happening so quickly it is hard to say what you would do unless a person has experienced something like this before.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
About the time this guy went for my dog's leash, he would've been on the ground moaning and groaning over his family jewels, courtesy of a well-placed kick from me. I'm nice, but nobody messes with my kids or my dogs.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
About the time this guy went for my dog's leash, he would've been on the ground moaning and groaning over his family jewels, courtesy of a well-placed kick from me. I'm nice, but nobody messes with my kids or my dogs.
I LOVE it. Another twin (separated at birth by circumstance).

I am a nice person some of the time.. the rest of the time I am merely tolerant of humanity.

When I was young confrontation never bothered me (can you say ALL the boys on the block were scared of the girl on the block?). Then I grew up and due to circumstances I got very non confrontational (lets just say I understand what abused dogs go thru).

Life is a twisting stream and every turn brings a change. I no longer avoid confrontation although I am much more thoughtful before confrontation (my left hook is not as strong anymore) in old age than I was when I was young.

I will not be treated with disrespect. I call people on it. This guy was disrespectful of you by handling your dog without your permission.. another CM wannabe. Probably wants to be on TV.

If this had been my dog he would have been on TV alright... and it would have been a 6 O'Clock News Event.. NOT a Network series for him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You weren't dealing with "ignorant"; you were dealing with "stupid".

Ignorance can be cured; stupid is forever.

Rudeness and more on your part was highly justified. No one touches or corrects my dogs without my permission!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I would never have allowed someone to Alpha roll my dogs. NO WAY, NO HOW! Not going to happen. As he approached and started talking to me I would have been polite, and had he asked me for the leash, I would have gave him a very firm "No!" If he had tried to grab my dog after that I would have told him to back off or I would call the police. What kind of a crazy fool walks up to someone in their own driveway and starts trying to roll their dog? I suspect someone who was looking for a lawsuit.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Alpha rolling a dog is, in my opinion, abuse.

No one abuses my dogs.

I would generally just walk away before letting someone who does obviously have benevolent intentions touch my dogs (last thing we need is some idiot causing them to become fear aggressive toward people), and it wouldn't be the first time I've stepped between someone and my dog, but if rudeness were required so be it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Sure, ignorance was present, but ignorance is not a pretext to act rude against someone.. ignorance exists because we need it.

Now... if he did harm your dog, thats a different story, but in the end, just walk away without saying a word.

Erick, please explain highlighted text.

And, do you not think that terrorizing a dog is harming it?

I have to agree with most here in that I would not worry about being rude. First and foremost is my dog's safety. I don't give a rodent's behind if I hurt someone's feelings in a situation like that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts